That about sums it up.

Stans in Schwalbe?

I recently read that Stans can breakdown the inner lining of Schwalbe tubeless tires. Anyone use this combo or have any problems with it?

..ouch
    I've used it in their DH tires without issue but only ran the tires for a few months so it may not have been enough time to see any effects. The Schwalbe website says you're supposed to use some of their branded goo instead.

mtbr member
    I can't say that I have used stan's with schwalbe tubeless tires, but I have had no problems with stan's and schwalbe non-tubeless tires.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by thump
    The Schwalbe website says you're supposed to use some of their branded goo instead.
    I have no experience with this but the above tells me about all I need to know.

psycho cyclo addict
    No problems at all running Stans with RaRa EVO's. Just setup RaRa pacestar's too and I'd do it again every day and twice on Sunday's.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I have had no issues with Stan's and Scwalbe. The tread will probably wear out first anyway.

danaco
    Been using that combination for years without any issues.

simple
    I go through dozens of Schwalbe tires with Stan's in them a year. Not one problem yet.

You are good to go. Schwalbe and Stan's are actually working together at this time to develop a product that improves the Doc Blue sealant.

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by outaluck
    I recently read that Stans can breakdown the inner lining of Schwalbe tubeless tires. Anyone use this combo or have any problems with it?
    Muy bueno...no issues with Schwalbe and Stans. A good marriage.
    Niner Bikes employee. http://www.facebook.com/pages/Niner-...3652275?ref=ts
    Front Range Forum Moderator

Ka-coo-ka-cha!
    Word. Stan's + Schwalbe TL Pacestar = excellent combo so far
    Get a bicycle. You will not regret it, if you live. ~Mark Twain, "Taming the Bicycle"

www.yeticycles.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by outaluck
    Its interesting, I had a casing break on my Nevegals after about 10 rides. I called Kenda and asked about warranty issues. When he found out I was running Stan's inside my UST's he said I invalidated the warranty because the sealant breaks down the rubber.

I ran Stan's in regular Schwalbe's for 4 years with no issues.
    Narrow is the path to life, few are those who find it.

mtbr member
    There's supposedly ammonia in sealants like Stans which causes the lining to breakdown over time. This is probably true in laboratories but I always wear out the tread long before this becomes a problem in real-life. So the solution is to ride often and change your tires when they wear out. I'm currently running Schwalbe Fat Alberts with 2 oz of Stan's in each.

I've had no issues (unless you count the fact Fat Alberts turn slightly damp logs into shear ice covered in vaseline and bannana peels- but that's hardly the sealant's fault)
    Last edited by hairylegs; 05-04-2011 at 03:12 PM.

simple
    Quote Originally Posted by wilsonblur
    Its interesting, I had a casing break on my Nevegals after about 10 rides. I called Kenda and asked about warranty issues. When he found out I was running Stan's inside my UST's he said I invalidated the warranty because the sealant breaks down the rubber.
    There are many many instances of Stan's and Kenda tires being problematic.

That about sums it up.

Thanks

Looks like I'll go ahead with the tire purchase... thanks for all the positive feedback. I'm seriously considering the Muddy Mary UST for my next tire.

..ouch
    Quote Originally Posted by wilsonblur
    When he found out I was running Stan's inside my UST's he said I invalidated the warranty because the sealant breaks down the rubber.
    Schwalbe used to say the same thing on their website. Stans = no warranty... but I can't remember the last time I tried to use a warranty on a bike tire anyway.

Ka-coo-ka-cha!
    Quote Originally Posted by hairylegs
    I've had no issues (unless you count the fact Fat Alberts turn slightly damp logs into shear ice covered in vaseline and bannana peels- but that's hardly the sealant's fault)
    Word. And have the scars to prove it...
    Get a bicycle. You will not regret it, if you live. ~Mark Twain, "Taming the Bicycle"

www.yeticycles.com