mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Stalking the wiley Pasque flower

Nothing says Spring is springing more than the arrival of Pasque flowers. Conditions need to be just right, they obey whatever primal laws govern them poking up from the ground, could be last week, could be this week, could be next week. I checked out my secret stash at Spring Brook two weeks ago--zip. I checked it out five days ago--nada. I checked it out today--SCORE!

Once they're up, they hang around for awhile but not for long. They don't mess around, they just bloom and that's it. The Heralding of Spring is their mission.

The bugs feel like they won the lottery. A whole winter with no flowers to feast on, then, hey, what do we have here?

Spring Brook trail looked pretty dry.

Last edited by xcguy; 04-05-2013 at 05:42 AM.
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Nice post!

STRAVA!!!!!!
    Mar 2010
    There was a contest at my elementary school when I was a kid here in the springs on who could bring in the first Pasque flower every spring, (they called it an enemy for some reason). Anyway, I won that contest ever year. Every spring I always keep an eye open for one and I have not seen one yet, you may have found the first in the state! Congrats

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    I am moving this summer and one of the things I will miss most is tracking the wildflowers over the course of the summer on my rides.

Seen any sand lilies yet? Springbrook is good for those.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Astra2 View Post
    I am moving this summer and one of the things I will miss most is tracking the wildflowers over the course of the summer on my rides.

Seen any sand lilies yet? Springbrook is good for those.
    Not yet. Just these two low growers. And can anybody tell me what that contraption is in the third pic? I found it out in a field while hiking way off trail.

Stalking the wiley Pasque flower-1-dsc_0209.jpgStalking the wiley Pasque flower-2-dsc_0235.jpgStalking the wiley Pasque flower-1-dscn3462.jpg
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

mtbr member
    Saw two of them at Buffalo Creek last week, favorites of mine too.
    "Good judgement comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgement." -- Mark Twain

I work in .001 tolerances
    Stalking the wiley Pasque flower-17423_620058944676625_661258435_n.jpg

My riding partners yesterday at BC

Front Range, Colorado
    XCguy, Nice photos! Could that contraption be a sifter used in panning for gold.
    ----------- __o
    --------- _`\<,_
    BRAAP(>)/ (*)
    ************^^^^^^Rock Garden
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqpcBpSsj1A

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE View Post
    XCguy, Nice photos! Could that contraption be a sifter used in panning for gold.
    That might be the answer only it's out in the middle of a field with no water courses around. Plus the grate at the bottom of it has really big openings so quarter-sized rocks could go through. In some other area it could be used for washing off big rocks someone is collecting for their garden but no one's going to be doing that here. The mystery continues.

At least it's in a scenic spot.

Front Range, Colorado
    I'm sticking with my answer. You have to remember these pioneers traveled by horse from place to place looking for gold. It could have easily fell off a horse or be left behind at camp. The larger holes face upstream and the smaller down stream. This way it sifts the bigger rocks out first then the smaller as it gets to the back of the trough.
    ----------- __o
    --------- _`\<,_
    BRAAP(>)/ (*)

The 5th knuckle
    Quote Originally Posted by xcguy View Post
    Not yet. Just these two low growers. And can anybody tell me what that contraption is in the third pic? I found it out in a field while hiking way off trail.
    I was using a really big loaf pan for target practice. I have superb aim and control.
    The ladies love it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hernando Gutierrez
    The only thing you have to figure out is don't fall down. To keep riding the bike.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    metal thingy with rocks in it.

mtbr member
    Gosh this one is easy, it's a French fry fryer pan. It's what's used for the biggie fry orders at Md's

Front Range, Colorado
    Quote Originally Posted by danaco View Post
    Gosh this one is easy, it's a French fry fryer pan. It's what's used for the biggie fry orders at Md's
    The year was 1859 the gold rush was in full swing. One pioneer walked into Micky D's and stole the French Fri basket. The rest is history, he traveled from water source to water source. One morning he awoke in a hurry to get to his next gold panning site. In such a rush he packed up camp and left the fryer / gold sifter behind. Fast forward 154 years and XCguy is out mountain biking and happens on a metal contraption with rocks in it.
    ----------- __o
    --------- _`\<,_
    BRAAP(>)/ (*)

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I think I know now. It's a deep fat fryer...for rocks. Food was scarce back in the day, they had to cook whatever was handy. Deep fat frying big rocks made them more palatable and in some cases quite tasty. Thanks for all your help in this mystery.

I work in .001 tolerances

Re: Stalking the wiley Pasque flower

Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE View Post
    Fast forward 154 years and XCguy is out mountain biking
    You had me until that part...

650b me
    Nice, xcguy! I always look forward to my first pasque flower sighting while out riding. I haven't seen one yet, but now I'm inspired to get out and ride today!

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Stalking the wiley Pasque flower-winterstormwarning.pngNext week should be fun:

650b me
    Yep...like I said, ride TODAY!

"Oldfart from Wayback"
    Nice XC, I went out today, my first "real" ride in months, just to see if I could find any.

I had no luck at Pasque flowers, but the Easter Daisy's were thick !!

Front Range, Colorado
    Quote Originally Posted by HomegrownMN View Post
    You had me until that part...
    Had you
    That's a true story.
    ----------- __o
    --------- _`\<,_
    BRAAP(>)/ (*)

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Since somebody else brought this thread back up, here's some more:

I went out Pasque hunting after that first set of pics a few weeks ago. My original "secret stash" was on its way out. Glad I stumbled across at its prime a few days before. Then I continued off trail. Here's one Pasque, then nothing for ten minutes of walking. Here's one more. Man these guys are rare. Then I came across the muthuh lode in an area I'd not been to. I stopped counting at 60. My new secret stash!

I went back yesterday to see how that patch was after the recent snow. Well, snow and animals have taken their toll. There was still a ton of flowers still there but they were drooping and on their way out, too. Kind of like my knees.

Before and after:

Stalking the wiley Pasque flower-2-dsc_0349.jpgStalking the wiley Pasque flower-1-1-dsc_5804.jpg

Front Range, Colorado
    Very cool thanks for the stalking update.
    ----------- __o
    --------- _`\<,_
    BRAAP(>)/ (*)