Thread: st george

mtbr member
    Apr 2005

st george

so whats up with this place???? is it really worth the trip,,,leaving next sun,,,have zion if i cant find nothing good.
    John

Rolling
    St George is in Utah I thought.

It sucks, crappy beer and only one redneck bar.

Mojo0115
    Nov 2004
    Research more. The internets has everything you need.

St George has some mountain biking, there is fun to be had, but it will be getting hot there soon.

eci
    i hear there r mormons in utah can anyone confirm/deny?

Rolling
    Quote Originally Posted by snowskilz
    i hear there r mormons in utah can anyone confirm/deny?
    Apparently the ones you should worry about are in Texas.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I know quite a few folks who swear by the riding in St George/Hurricane area. Here is a great link for most of the riding in Utah. See the left hand scroll bar for the areas. They all say Gooseberry Mesa is the best.

http://www.utahmountainbiking.com/trails/

Jackass
    I work for a very large regional airline based in ST George and have spent a large amount of time there. While I have heard of Gooseberry and several other trail there I have not had a chance to ride while in town. That said, St. George is lame. You wanna have any fun, drive the hour and a half to Vegas.
    I'm making enemies faster than I can kill them!

mtbr member
    Jul 2005

Quick Summary

St. George = No. The penultimate ride in St George is Bear Claw Poppy. Although it is listed as a 10-11 mile trail, the actual trail is ~5 miles long; the difference is road riding to complete the loop. Given, it is a fun BMX style trail. The rest of the trails of St. George are unimpressive and are all very short (unless you include the road riding to and from the trails).
    Gooseberry Mesa = Good riding. However, you have to drive to them from St George.

MK_
    carpe maņana
    Riding in St. George is good in the early AM only, by now, I would imagine. But you've got Gooseberry Mesa and Brianhead in the vicinity to escape the heat. I'm sure there are other places, but my knowledge is limited.

I personally don't think it's worth the double drive vs. Moab, you may be better served going to Flagstaff or Sedona.

_MK
    "No man goes before his time -- unless the boss leaves early."
    -- Marx, Groucho

mtbr member
    Feb 2007

Go!

We spent about 5 days there last year during the 1st week of May. Most nights we camped right on Gooseberry and rode to the trails from our campsite. Otherwise, you can stay in Hurricane - the small town that's WAY closer than St. George and a lot less hectic. The riding? Incredible! Slick-rock into single track and back. Incredible views from there too. We rode a couple other trails in the area, the most notable being the guacamole. If your interested, I can probably come up with loose direction on how to get there. The other trails were not really worth leaving gooseberry. If you cover all the goose trails it'll give you a good 3 days of hard riding (multiple per day) to cover all the terrain. There's also a great river access just down in the little town below goose with a tiny park that you can hang out and get in the water to cool down in the middle of the day. Bring your own beer! Lots of mor(m)ons around those parts...

My leg feels funny
    Quote Originally Posted by lidarman
    Apparently the ones you should worry about are in Texas.
    I worry about most people in/from Texas

Thread Terrorist
    Worth the trip, period. Don't go now, though, much too hot.

Black Mesa, Gooseberry, Flying Monkey, Kolob Road for free ride, Ernum, Spines gallore, Hurricane trail system, church rocks, little mountain... yada yada.... tons, and good quality.