Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: SSing the 'cone

Card Carrying Member

SSing the 'cone

got up early (for me) and hit the 'cone this morning. Not too shabby. I'm not sure if I would ever ride another bike there, but for a rigid ss outing, it was pretty fun. Nice long DHs, mellow long climbs and nice views. Saw a couple fem bikers and nobody else if you don't count all those fancy wild chickens and the snake n' lizards.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by kitchenware; 08-17-2007 at 09:02 AM.

skillz to pay billz
    we talking centennial cone here? need to check that out.

Card Carrying Member
    Quote Originally Posted by nOOby
    we talking centennial cone here? need to check that out.
    yip, def worth the drive... which by the way was EASILY as fun as the ride.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Ride Everything
    Did you do it clockwise or counter-clockwise?

skillz to pay billz
    and does the alternating hiker/biker thing only apply on the weekends?

Card Carrying Member
    I did it CW, but I'm not sure what the best route is. ??? Also, I just did the main loop, no extra bits.

Ride Everything
    Quote Originally Posted by kitchenware
    I did it CW, but I'm not sure what the best route is. ??? Also, I just did the main loop, no extra bits.
    CW is def good. CCW will have you start on the fire road instead of ending on the fire road.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Thinking about heading up there tonight. If you enter from the HWY 6 trailhead, is it shorter to go up from Golden or up 70 and backtrack?

contains quinine
    Quote Originally Posted by MileHighMark
    CW is def good. CCW will have you start on the fire road instead of ending on the fire road.
    From what trailhead?

From the Highway 6 trailhead you hit it early, followed by lots of singletrack.
    Take the long cut, we'll get there eventually.

Ride Everything
    Quote Originally Posted by Debaser
    From what trailhead?

From the Highway 6 trailhead you hit it early, followed by lots of singletrack.
    I started at the one off of Camino Perdido (Travois/Elk Ridge).

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I like to head up from the Hwy. 6 trailhead as you get a few extra miles of singletrack on the way to the loop.
    I always just go up hwy. 6. Only about 15-20 minutes up the canyon from Golden.

Chronic 1st-timer
    I've been rolling out 70 to Exit 244, then backtrack a few miles down 6 & park at the bottom of Mayhem Gulch.

I went overboard last time: Mayhem - Juniper - Travois - Elk - West P lot - then retraced my steps to car. Gave me about 28miles....and I was toast after that.

If you turn around at the North P lot, you'll knock it down to 22 miles, but get 100% singletrack. Sweeeetness!

Big Boned
    I don't get doing this trail as a loop at all. Out-and-back, either from Mayhem or from the Douglas Mtn. lot, to the Camino Perdido lot and back -- definitely the way to go. You can also throw in the Juniper/Mayhem loop as a sidetrack. Elk Trail is a waste of time. If you need to do a shorter ride, just cut the out-and-back at the overlook above the steps, or anywhere along the way. The ride from the overlook down to the bridge is so much fun.
    Never rub another man's rhubarb.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

I agree

Quote Originally Posted by Manmountain Dense
    I don't get doing this trail as a loop at all. Out-and-back, either from Mayhem or from the Douglas Mtn. lot, to the Camino Perdido lot and back -- definitely the way to go. You can also throw in the Juniper/Mayhem loop as a sidetrack. Elk Trail is a waste of time. If you need to do a shorter ride, just cut the out-and-back at the overlook above the steps, or anywhere along the way. The ride from the overlook down to the bridge is so much fun.
    If I'm pressed for time I'll start at Mayhem parking lot, go counter to the bridge, turn around and head back. But the way my right knee is feeling these days even that seems like a lot of climbing. Please, right knee, heal up so I can think again think of this out-and-back as an easy off-day ride! I never did like Elk Trail, just double track spinning.
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

Card Carrying Member
    Quote Originally Posted by xcguy
    I never did like Elk Trail, just double track spinning.
    I liked it... Spin it out a bit right before you get back to the car, worked for me. I'll probably do it the same way next time, only with the extra bits tossed in when I have a bit more time.

skillz to pay billz
    probably going to do this tonight from the north trailhead(closest to boulder?). So skipping the elk section is recommended?

Chronic 1st-timer
    probably going to do this tonight from the north trailhead(closest to boulder?). So skipping the elk section is recommended?
    Hell, yeah!

Just follow Travois to west P lot, then U-turn.
    All singletrack...

Thread Terrorist
    nice pics.

skillz to pay billz
    good times. we ended up doing the loop as the time(sunlight) was running out. The views are pretty great all around and the trail was fast and smooth.

I think this would be a great winter ride since it's exposed pretty well to the sun and should melt snow pretty quickly.

Ride Everything
    From a few weeks ago:

Big Boned
    The whole trail system is closed December February for hunting season. And even after it officially opened this season, there was still snow on the north-facing switchbacks -- and I mean a LOT of snow in March or early April, I think it was. It was a really great early-season "get your legs back" ride, though.

The nice thing is that the singletrack was open even while the Elk Trail was still closed for elk calving, so in the early season, the only real option was to do an out-and-back. Hehe.

good times. we ended up doing the loop as the time(sunlight) was running out. The views are pretty great all around and the trail was fast and smooth.

I think this would be a great winter ride since it's exposed pretty well to the sun and should melt snow pretty quickly.

skillz to pay billz
    so it's open only to hunters or closed to all users? And when does calving season start? Same time or later in the spring?

Quote Originally Posted by Manmountain Dense
    The whole trail system is closed December February for hunting season. And even after it officially opened this season, there was still snow on the north-facing switchbacks -- and I mean a LOT of snow in March or early April, I think it was. It was a really great early-season "get your legs back" ride, though.

The nice thing is that the singletrack was open even while the Elk Trail was still closed for elk calving, so in the early season, the only real option was to do an out-and-back. Hehe.

Big Boned
    Only hunters from December through the end of January, and even then, only hunters with permits. Elk calving appears to be a variable closure, I guess it depends on when the herds move out, which I think depends on the weather. This season, elk calving went on through sometime in June, but the only part that was closed was Elk Trail (duh). The singletrack was all open.

Here's a link to the JeffCo page:

http://tinyurl.com/2gx3hg

so it's open only to hunters or closed to all users? And when does calving season start? Same time or later in the spring?

skillz to pay billz
    thanks for the info!

mtbr member
    Have ridden it twice so far. Have gone both ways. Just rode a few hours ago as a matter of fact. It's one of the best singlespeed trails around. It's fun either direction you ride it. It seems a little harder clockwise though or maybe I was just tired today. Either way leave the geared bike at home you won't need it. Also, the views on the ride are beautiful. Great pictures. Remember for the weekends even bike odd hike.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast