mtbr member
    Jul 2004

SS on GM advise please...

Hi there,

Those who ride SS on Green Mt, I have a question – any suggestion how to climb up the west side drop that connects the service road to south side? I could not push down & pull up where that little bush is. Crank simply did not move. I was standing and couldn’t go any higher. My first time on SS (32/18T, rigid steel ‘94 GT) on Green Mt and I was able to ride everything, except this part. You know, this part:

How do you guys do it? I did find roaring helps a bit. No problem with my full sus in granny, but not with this thing. Much more fun tho. I'd like to know this because there seem to be this type of steeps every now and then around here - and it's awsome if I can ride those up. Wall of shame is out of question for me, so I won't go there. Thanks for input!

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    You are on the right track. If something is really really steep i will pedal as fast as i can, highly enefficient by the way but that extra boost can get you over the hill. If it's a medium grade hill i will coast into the hill until i know my wheels are spinning at the same rate that my bike is geared to and then pedal.
    Other things that an help are lower tire pressure or type of tire you are running for current conditions.
    The answer you probably already know is strength, takes more muscle to push bigger gears and your body is not use to it. Keep riding and you will start to notice the difference.
    Most importantly...Have fun

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Momentum eh? I'll try that next time. I started from a dead stop at the bottom, repeated 3 times, each time the dismantling point got lower and lower. I do need to ditch the tire (old Bonti, I don't even know what it is other than the fact it weighs 1.2lb) as the rear keeps hopping on steeper sections. Thanks for the advise!

I can't seem to find this "Travis Brown tips" that SS forum folks are throwing around. Any idea?

mtbr member
    Apr 2008

go ride!!
    pedal harder!

mutaullyassuredsuffering

Steep

When it get's really steep, I stand up straight and pull hard on the pars to push against the pedals since my weight is not enough. I can ride everything there like that on a 2x1. I know it's more efficient to walk sometimes, but it's fun for me to give 'er hell.
    Free will is an illusion, people will always choose the perceived path of greatest pleasure.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    I love Sheldown Brown web site too, but I'm referring to Travis Brown (ex-Trek rider) that supposedly having some type of secret pedaling technique to beat the impossible hill. Or something. SS forum folks don't go into detail - I'm not complaining on this, just wondering if that's something truly an eye opening technique or just finessing the climb like you guys figured out on your own.

Looks like I need to a) get stronger b) pull on bars (mm, like as if to rotate your bike up, pivoting around the seat tube, just to visualize?), c) carry more momentum, d) with a better tire. Awsome homework for the next ride! Thanks guys!

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by hatake
    Looks like I need to a... b) pull on bars (mm, like as if to rotate your bike up, pivoting around the seat tube, just to visualize?), ...
    I pull straight back during the downstroke (pedalling), it's an effort to get more weight on the back wheel.

BTW, Travis Brown freaking rocks. Top 20 in the Men's Elite on his SS (allegedly 42x15) both days at the cross races this past weekend

edit: more on his ride this weekend... TB's Belt Drive ride
    Last edited by Walt Disney's Frozen Head; 11-04-2008 at 09:54 PM.

Which way? Uphill.
    Quote Originally Posted by hatake
    I love Sheldown Brown web site too, but I'm referring to Travis Brown (ex-Trek rider) that supposedly having some type of secret pedaling technique to beat the impossible hill. Or something. SS forum folks don't go into detail - I'm not complaining on this, just wondering if that's something truly an eye opening technique or just finessing the climb like you guys figured out on your own.

Looks like I need to a) get stronger b) pull on bars (mm, like as if to rotate your bike up, pivoting around the seat tube, just to visualize?), c) carry more momentum, d) with a better tire. Awsome homework for the next ride! Thanks guys!
    Yeah, the SS forum is pretty vague on the technique, I'm not sure if anyone really knows what it is. I did read the article that mentioned it once and it wasn't exactly clear either.

From what I gather he throws the bike forward whenever he gets to a dead spot in his pedal stroke.

In my head, the throwing the bike forward is like a smaller version of the movement road cyclists make when lunging their bike forward at the finish line.

Not being a full-time SSer I just run a 32:22 on the 29er for climbing, I would do a 32:20 on a 26er for a sustained climb like GM even though some of the lower trails you will be spinning out.
    Blog

Just keep spinning. Just keep running. Just keep paddling.
    Just keep moving forward.

mutaullyassuredsuffering

yup

Quote Originally Posted by Walt Disney's Frozen Head
    I pull straight back during the downstroke (pedalling), it's an effort to get more weight on the back wheel.

BTW, Travis Brown freaking rocks. Top 20 in the Men's Elite on his SS (allegedly 42x15) both days at the cross races this past weekend

edit: more on his ride this weekend... TB's Belt Drive ride

Yup, in addition to giving more power at the pedals, standing up straight (rather than leaning over the bars) puts more weight on the rear wheel for traction. I have to crank really hard on the steep box-o-rocks starter pitch or the switchbacks, but a 2x1 is do-able everywhere. For that little bit of suffering with a big gear, I can ride everything else there fast enough to keep up with the geared folks on the loops, and beat 'em on the hills.
    Free will is an illusion, people will always choose the perceived path of greatest pleasure.

Members who have read this thread: 0