Thread: SS Article

mtbr member

SS Article

Thought this was hilarious. Be sure to check out the video on the 2nd page.

The Angry Singlespeeder: Singlespeeds are for Angry People | Mountain Bike Review
    It's not how old I am, it's how old I feel - Minor Threat

Living the High Life
    Man I was hoping for an article about Bacon Boy.

But that was hilarious.

"...it takes a special kind of idiot to voluntarily endure the type of pain and suffering that comes with riding only one gear."
    You have just been mentally Rick Roll'd. Yup you're thinking about it right now aren't you? Don't fight it.

Goat Head

Re: SS Article

Sums it up pretty well, no? Props to the single speeders...ill be keeping my gears though, thx

Clyde on a mission!
    Dec 2011
    Reading a ******** article like that makes me an angry singlespeeder. Maybe the article is just designed to be trolling and I'm falling for it, but I don't see how he could get things any more wrong than he did.

I've never ridden in anger, for me every ride is about good exercise, fresh air and having fun.

Riding ss sounds completely mad in theory but in practicality it's not much harder than riding geared, it's just a different way to ride, you need to get good at standing and mashing rather than sitting and spinning. It's still the same weight (bike + rider) going up the same hill, you're just delivering the same amount of power in a different way. Once you figure that out, bringing gears becomes a bit pointless and only complicates matters.

If anything most ss'ers seems more relaxed and laid back than other riders in my experience. A lot of people on geared bikes are constantly trying to optimize stuff and get annoyed if some things don't go as planned, where ss'ers are pretty certain stuff isn't going to me optimum anyway and just take stuff as it comes and enjoy the scenery while they are at it.

Then again, it might just be me, but I've never ridden a bike in anger, geared or ss, I just enjoy the ride and have found out that riding ss is more fun.

Team Velveeta™
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandrenseren View Post
    Reading a ******** article like that makes me an angry singlespeeder. Maybe the article is just designed to be trolling ... Riding ss sounds completely mad in theory but in practicality it's not much harder than riding geared, it's just a different way to ride, you need to get good at standing and mashing rather than sitting and spinning. It's still the same weight (bike + rider) going up the same hill, you're just delivering the same amount of power in a different way. Once you figure that out, bringing gears becomes a bit pointless and only complicates matters...
    I was only able to read about 15 words of that article. Doofus.

I'll say two things about SS-ing.

1. I have one, a rigid Kona Unit built up blue collar. It's fun. I ride it quite a bit this time of year. Some things are actually easier. With a geared bike when you're approaching a steep climb you'll shift down and drop your momentum and start spinning into it. With the SS you just decide when to leap to your feet and attack. Option B is often easier. You just rip the band-aid off. Standing for a half hour climb sometimes punishes me really badly other times if feels no harder. In the long run, my average speed winds up being roughly the same on a climb where I don't have to get off and walk. The really long climbs I tend to do in summer, well, I'm just not strong enough to enjoy so much. I'm sure I'd adapt if I wanted to, but I really don't feel driven to do it. I like being able to drop into an easy gear and sit if I'm going to be climbing three hours without a break. But singlespeeds aren't like some kind of crazy tough-guy chariot. Just a different game.

2. I really appreciate it when SS people just shut up and ride. None of the "wow, this is really hard on a singlespeed", or "I could ride this lots faster on a geared bike." I was in first lap of a 24 solo last month. First laps of 24 hour races always have an element of suckiness unless you're fast enough to be out front. It's a conga line. The whole field is all packed together and halfway through the people who went out too hard start to flail. There was some dude behind me who kept on saying, "be kind to the singlespeed!" At one point somebody up front kept on coming to a near stop and we all were bumping tires trying to get stopped in time, and he'd say "be kind to the singlespeed." After a couple times I just had to say, "how about be kind to everybody? You chose to ride a singlespeed, does that mean you deserve special treatment?" I really didn't want to be snarky, but it was just like, wow do you think any of us enjoy this crap? If you're going to choose to enter singlespeed, be happy about your choice and do your thing. But I don't need to be told how tough everything is for you.

I want one of those "nobody cares that you ride a singlespeed" bumper stickers.
    Tom Purvis - Salida, CO - http://teamvelveeta.tom-purvis.com

"I like my wimmen like I like my beer--cold and bitter!"

mtbr member
    I tend to drop f-bombs if I don't clear something whether I'm on a SS or geared bike (and I'm far from a racer). I do agree that people often do what's currently "cool" and want to be noticed for it for whatever reason (SS'ing, 29ers, fat bikes, whatever...). I mostly thought the story was done in good humor and not serious at all. I never thought anyone would take it seriously anyway. Whatever puts a random smile on your face, and this article did that for me. Thought it might for others as well.

i like it for how uncomplicated it is. never thinking about switching gears, or mentally weighing things like 'i'll get to that next stump in this gear, and then i'll gear down'. it's just go.

and it does cause me to ride very angry at times. particularly when i'm really tired, have gotten myself into a ride over my head, or have come across a seemingly never-ending steep climb hours into a ride. but the feeling of accomplishment when it's completed makes it more than worthwhile.

and i'm certainly not the guy on the trail or in the race saying 'be kind to the singlespeeders' to grab some extra attention.

I work in .001 tolerances
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandrenseren View Post
    If anything most ss'ers seems more relaxed and laid back than other riders in my experience. A lot of people on geared bikes are constantly trying to optimize stuff and get annoyed if some things don't go as planned, where ss'ers are pretty certain stuff isn't going to me optimum anyway and just take stuff as it comes and enjoy the scenery while they are at it.
    This!

mtbr member
    [QUOTE=nomit;10230526]and it does cause me to ride very angry at times. particularly when i'm really tired, have gotten myself into a ride over my head, or have come across a seemingly never-ending steep climb hours into a ride. but the feeling of accomplishment when it's completed makes it more than worthwhile.
    QUOTE]
    This!

a dad
    Jan 2004
    damn fun haters..haha..

all joking aside it takes a special person to pedal a SS on the front range if you ask me... and I am not one of them, I need my gears..
    BBZ

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy - Benjamin Franklin

SS Chimp
    "The Angry Singlespeeder is a collection of mercurial musings...". I already knew I was in for disappointment with the first sentence.

So far Kurt is 0-2 in my book. Both this and the recent Strava bashing post are written for impact and lack substance or insight. For me, speaking from 10+ years of only riding a SS mtb, it is no harder than riding a geared bike just a different approach. Sure, in some sections you have to walk but that is the equivalent of the granny gear. Not harder just different. At the end of a long 100 miler the geared guy should be just as blown as me if he put 100% into the ride.

Somewhere in the last 10 years I figured riding an SS would fall from being "currently cool" to just another person riding a bike. Now I realize that unless the general biking population stops thinking it is tremendously harder to ride an SS this view will never change.
    all single...all the time

a dad
    Jan 2004
    Do SSer's in general have no sense of humor? Clearly it was done tongue in cheek yet some are taking offense to it??
    BBZ

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy - Benjamin Franklin

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    So this article... it's written *by* a SS'er, tongue in cheek, and people *still* don't get it? I, for one, think this only adds to the humor of the whole thing.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Name:  SS.jpg
Views: 83
Size:  63.6 KB

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SkaredShtles View Post
    So this article... it's written *by* a SS'er, tongue in cheek, and people *still* don't get it? I, for one, think this only adds to the humor of the whole thing.
    Sums it up well. At least some form of entertainment is to be derived.