Now Uploading

SRAM X-Gen

Another nail in the Shimano coffin.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    [SIZE=2]Just Passing Through: eatin' dirt & crappin' dust[/SIZE]

Bad Case of the Mondays
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbdirteater
    Yeah the front der. is a nice thing, but this is my favorite SRAM part of all....
    Attached Images Attached Images

Te mortuo heres tibi sim?
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbdirteater
    i've got one on the hardtail; nice piece. now if SRAM would only get rid of the huge gap between the top cogs on their cassettes...... 28-34 tooth gap is more than i want.

though i can't tell any functional difference between it and the XT i was using. expected a bit more, but oh well. it is just a front mech, i guess.

the SRAM works well, but i actually think it looks clunkier than the XT. and it's heavier, if that matters at all.
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper

Now Uploading
    Quote Originally Posted by scrublover

the SRAM works well, but i actually think it looks clunkier than the XT. and it's heavier, if that matters at all.
    Yup, it is a bit chunky, and a wee bit heavier than the XT 761 that I pulled off of that bike, but it works well and it's not made by Shimano.

Shimano burned my @ss with this force-fed dual control that I am not getting a rapid rise out of. They abandoned us, requiring a switch to their intergated system levers/shifters/brake/etc. parts if we want to continue to use their parts, and that's not only incompatible with my parts and equipment needs in this day, but it's too damn greedy for their own good. And backward shifting that does not allow me to shift through more than one lower gear at a time and integrated shifters in the levers that shift whenever you move them, such as decending rocks, has not and will never work for me. They put all their eggs in one basket and broke them. They screwed themselves. I won't be back, I found better. No more new Shimano parts for me.

BTW, Mojo Wheels has these X-Gen FDs in stock in both colors, silver and black.

Cheers,

Dave

Trail rider and racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Jdub
    Yeah the front der. is a nice thing, but this is my favorite SRAM part of all....
    I couldn't agree more. It makes cleaning, repairs and alike a piece of cake.
    Trev!

Now Uploading
    Quote Originally Posted by scrublover
    now if SRAM would only get rid of the huge gap between the top cogs on their cassettes...... 28-34 tooth gap is more than i want.
    That 28-34 gap is on a 990 cassette (the best), the gap is 30-34 on a 970 cassette just like a Shimano XT/XTR, and yes, this confuses me too. I have talked to SRAM about this, they are aware of it, and seem interested in our feedback. I have an 11-32 990 on one bike that is spaced well and works awesome (gap from 28 to 32), and I haven't had a chance to compare all the cassettes on my bikes yet, but the SRAM 11-32 and 11-34 990 cassettes appear to be exactly the same except for the largest cog. Hope they change this. I still have a couple of XT 11-34s to wear out, but when they are gone, no plans to replace them with any more Shimano parts.

BTW, there will be a bottom swing X-Gen FD in the future. I would like to replace my Shimano XTR on my XC hardtail too, but the top-swing X-Gen FD's clamp is dead center in the middle of where a water bottle bolt boss is on the seat tube. Was no issue on my AC. I'll wait for the bottom swing X-Gen for that other bike.

Cheers,

Dave