Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    lone rider
    Jul 2007

Squaw Pass Hwy 103

It’s time to gps and clean up the trails on Squaw Pass. Thought if you could find the trails some of you might like to ride them. Sorry PBR no smooth single track. Started with Barbour Fork loop last week. The Barbour Fork side was in good shape. A little rocky but that’s normal. Doesn’t look like anyone has ridden the trails I cleaned up on Van Eden a few years back .Here is a gps track and some photos if you want to check it out. I removed what trees I could the rest will require a saw. The trail isn’t visible in a few places. It’s a pretty good ride if you do it from town and include the Waterline.

These trails could see more use.

This weekend we are going to shuttle Devils Canyon. I’ve been wanting to see this on a map for a while now. will update map when I add new trail/ride
    Last edited by big galoot; 07-20-2010 at 09:16 PM.

Rigid in Evergreen
    Is there single-track in the Devils Canyon section? And does it link up with Barbour Fork?

I did some exploring in the Barbour Fork area last year, but lost the trail at some point and ended up on the 4x4 trails (which suck on a mtb).

killin clear creek
    Quote Originally Posted by big galoot

Itís time to gps and clean up the trails on Squaw Pass. Thought if you could find the trails some of you might like to ride them. Sorry PBR no smooth single track. Started with Barbour Fork loop last week. The Barbour Fork side was in good shape. A little rocky but thatís normal. Doesnít look like anyone has ridden the trails I cleaned up on Van Eden a few years back .Here is a gps track and some

I think we've connected some of the trails that you're talking about. I've been down warren to the VE cutoff, then over to Barbour forks, those trails could definitely use more traffic to burn in better.

I'm gonna start building at my house, just let me know when you want to come over & take a few pictures

I'll gladly help with any local trail work btw, just shoot me a PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by thump View Post
    How about we take the "let it burn approach" with the rotting cesspool of the Denver metro?

t.i.t.s.ceo/FR amoeba rep
    i like my share of rocks
    I'm a cowboy on a steel horse i ride!

the blog

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Have fun riding! see ya out there soon!

Goat of Legend
    Some good riding in Barbour Forks for sure! I dig it all the 4x4 roads, the singletrack, and the constant orienteering opportunities.

Trail # 45 in Barbour Forks

Warren Gulch/ Barbour Forks

mtbr member
    Man I should get out there!

lone rider
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by topmounter
    Is there single-track in the Devils Canyon section? And does it link up with Barbour Fork?

I did some exploring in the Barbour Fork area last year, but lost the trail at some point and ended up on the 4x4 trails (which suck on a mtb).

Yep Barbour fork is a tough place to ride and there is more singletrack to be found. The trail in the bottom of Devils Canyon crosses the creek about 10 times and you have to hike out. It takes off of the luge and comes back out at the top of trail 48.
    I havenít been down it in years. I was thinking about cleaning it up again. Itís a good option for the shuttle.

IMO there are 3 good rides at Barbour Fork the shuttle, the loop , and the luge.
    Hopefully with a map you all can find the trails.
    If your'e going to ride up it's easier from the Van Eden side. I think.

lone rider
    Jul 2007

Beaver Brook Loop

Just updated the map. Added Beaver Brook loop. This is turning into one of my favorite training rides. It has a little bit of everything. A good climb up Little Bear to Mountain View. A nice downhill run thatís as much fun as you can have on two wheels. A scary downhill run on a loose gravel road. Gotta try and break the 50 mph barrier on Floyd hill.60? You can start from Floyd Hill or Hwy 103 to save some driving.
    Gps tracks and photos

lone rider
    Jul 2007

Devils Canyon

This is nostalgic a ride for me. Lots of memories. There is a little uphill and some hike-a-bike. A classic point to point with lots of options. Have ridden it as a loop by riding up Warren Gulch. Much better than riding up 103 from I.S. gps track--- photos

Elevation Gain:347 ft
    Elevation Loss: 3,736 ft
    Min Elevation: 7,558 ft
    Max Elevation: 10,962 ft

Even I can make this ride.
    Some photos from todayís ride

some road ridin'

Wayne's World Wayne's World

lone rider
    Jul 2007

Hicks Mountain

Is there still gold in them hills? First read about this in a Colorado recreation guide from the 1970ís I have searched quartz veins from Bergen Peak to Hicks Mountain. I Still think about it when I ride here. I was kind of disheartened when a good friend of mine told me sometimes miners made up these kind of stories when they had high-graded from the mines , but I still look.
    Lost Treasure

ď1. Hicks Mountain. An 18 inch wide vein of rose quartz, full of course gold, was discovered -then lost-on the south slope of Hicks Mountain on a branch of Witter Gulch or the next one coming into Bear Creek below Witter.

This old road is a good beginner ride. Smooth and kind of steep towards the end. Can be linked up with Beaver Brook

Hicks Mountain photos

lone rider
    Jul 2007

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Very nice, thanks for taking the time to make such a great map big g.

mtbr member
    Agreed! Thanks for the nice map!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    very cool! What do the different colors (purple, red, yellow) mean? What's the distance on some of these loops? I've heard some areas up there can stay surprisingly clear of snow into late in the year. I guess that's mainly the south facing gilson gulch area?

mtbr member
    Post one links to the Barbour loop GPS track, which is around 7 miles, to give you a rough idea of how long those other tracks are by comparison.

lone rider
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Ansible
    very cool! What do the different colors (purple, red, yellow) mean? What's the distance on some of these loops? I've heard some areas up there can stay surprisingly clear of snow into late in the year. I guess that's mainly the south facing gilson gulch area?
    Red is recommended DH
    Yellow is recommended XC

Rode Virginia Canyon the other day -to the county line and back down Gilson Gulch. Not much snow anywhere. Hard to believe they have had 11 feet of snow this season already at the divide.
    http://highonthedivide.blogspot.com/...blog-post.html

Clear Creek is the perfect place for some A.M. powder and some P.M. DH. Double shuttle anyone?

http://connect.garmin.com/explore?owner=b-line
    Last edited by big galoot; 12-12-2010 at 05:46 PM.

mtbr member
    did barbour fork loop yesterday. what a great area. i followed gps track but lost the trail on the final single track leading back to parking lot. i think i lost it just before the point where it sharply turns right. so i backtracked a little and noticed fork in single track that i didnt see first time. i took left this time and after short steep and loose downhill it took me to 4x4 road that took me down back to parking lot. anyways, thanks for the tip. will be back to do longer loop including devils canyon singletrack.
    HuRa
    architecture and interior design
    website facebook

mtbr member
    An Aside - You could even add 103 heading East from intersection of Lil Bear Rd to the 2nd intersection of Old Squaw Pass Rd as a DH section. Rode that on the fully with shock and fork wide open after a trip up to the Squaw Mtn Fire Lookout. The patch work performed on that road by Clear Creek totally sux eggs on a road bike, but on a fully it's totally ride able without having to cross the center line to avoid the road damage and patch work.

BTW - love the map - I've been lost up in those parts a number of times. Looking forward to getting up there soon (Saturday) and discovering where previous rides went wrong.
    Last edited by calzonical; 07-05-2012 at 11:35 AM. Reason: spelling issue corrected, hopefully

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Hook this up with the secret stash to the SW and you have a prophetic moment.

lone rider
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by calzonical View Post
    BTW - love the map - I've been lost up in those parts a number of times. Looking forward to getting up there soon (Saturday) and discovering where previous rides went wrong.
    Thanks.

Here is the latest version of the map. I think it is almost complete. I only see a couple things that are not on it. It is pretty much the same as the Idaho Springs South Bike Trails map in the Treker on page 40 and 41.

I still havenít found out who is carrying the Treker. I got the last copy from the visitors center. The lady said she was handing them out left and right. When I find out I will let you know.

old skool newbie
    Is there a frontage road/trail along the south side of hwy103 starting somewhere near Echo hills and ending just past Echo Mtn Ski area?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by goldenboy View Post
    Is there a frontage road/trail along the south side of hwy103 starting somewhere near Echo hills and ending just past Echo Mtn Ski area?

there's a number of spider-webbed back roads I take to get from top of Beaver Brook watershed over to Sawmill rd. Then drop down 103 about 1/4 mile and hit up the powerline road on the north side of 103 and head up past the gun range over to Echo mtn and WG

Recalling route from memory - drop into beaver brook watershed and pop out at either mountain view (go south from here) or lil bear road (go north from here). lil bear road (about a mile from 103) - to evergreen trail then on to deer trail to long road over to sawmill and up to 103. deer trail and long road are a grunt, at least for me.

you could also take timberline over to deer trail - that is a bit more direct the ET to Deer trail.
    Last edited by calzonical; 07-06-2012 at 12:35 PM.

GL1
    mtbr member

So...

So I've been riding up in the Idaho Springs (IS) area this summer and have now ridden much of what is being discussed here.

So before I say anything else, BigGaloot and others doing work up in this area...great job. Thank you all. Your efforts are appreciated and that's a lot of trail for a few guys to try and work on.

The trails we are talking about in this thread have their merits...solitary, shaded, some great climbing (and/or decending) but overall the word that comes to mind is...potential. They lack any real "features" and have mediocre flow. They are a little "meh" but again, the potential is there.

So all I want to add is that I wish IMBA or others would/could have the opportunity do an epic up there. It would be awesome and great I would think for IS as well. I mean geez, if they can do it all the way out in Wyoming why not put that kind of effort into a place a bit closer to a major metropolis...some place like IS that is ripe for it? IS is not really "on the map" as far as destination MTB spots but that could change. Of course I'm thinking something like ah (not to stir this pot again) the stuff over on the "other side of the road." Yep, I found that but too late. I know the buzz around it all and I know it's a no-no...and I understand. I'm just wishing out loud here that something like that could be build legally in IS. Just saying...the potential is there.

Now of course, depending on who you talk to, they may like it just as it is and would possibly even fight to keep something like what I'm describing out...not sure on the current political climate up there concerning such "high-profile" efforts (yep, it would bring more people up there...good and bad). But hey, some towns legalize gambling to boost revenue so a few well built MTB trails might not be so bad...
    2011 Santa Cruz Nomad
    2011 Specialized P1
    1999 GT Zaskar

GL1
    mtbr member
    Oh, and I did see that potential MTB at Echo Mtn Ski Resort thread. Would be cool but didn't sound too probable.
    Last edited by GL1; 07-06-2012 at 03:15 PM. Reason: word change
    2011 Santa Cruz Nomad
    2011 Specialized P1
    1999 GT Zaskar

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast