mtbr member

Springs people, AFA advice

I want to try the Falcon trail tomorrow but I've never done it. I've only lived here for a couple months. I read the trail reviews but a lot of them seem outdated. What's the best place to start? Seems the majority of reviews recommend riding clockwise.

Inflexable...
    Park at Northgate entrance parking lot on the North side outside the entrance. Get your act together and break out the ID. Ride to the entrance, show you ID and continue up the hill to the B52. Take a left on Stadium and cross a bridge and then take a right on the next road past the old guard shack. Ride up this road about 500 ft and look for a trail to your left. Take this trail and you are now on the Falcon trail. Take this trail for another minute and you will reach a 'tee'. This is the official loop of the Falcon trail.

Either way is a good ride. Clockwise will seem like the climb is longer and more gradual until the end where it will end in a steep climb to the top. Counter will make you feel like you climb continuously, but not too steeply, until you reach the top and the downhill seems to last longer.
    Tact is for people not witty enough to be sarcastic...

mtbr member
    Thanks for the advice!

mtbr member
    That was really fun. Good ol' XC singlegtrack. I rode it counter clockwise and parked outside the northgate like you said. Took me about 2hrs 20min total.

Medicine Wheel Guy
    Map & Info here, although it sounds like you already rode it...

http://www.medwheel.org/gps/falcon.html

Inflexable...
    Glad you liked the ride. It is definitely a good workout and fun to ride. If you do it the other way now it will seem like a completely different ride.

I'm not sure a map of this ride is really necessary as you generally cannot miss the trail markers or the obviousness of the trail itself.

Anyone ridden up the Monument Creek trailhead that connects to the Falcon trail up near the Southwest portion of the trail?
    Tact is for people not witty enough to be sarcastic...

rr
    I don't do PC
    You mean the trail that comes off Woodmen? I've heard varying reports but just getting over there would suck with all the climbing to get to that point on Woodmen.

Paul and I found a trail that almost links you into the loop from the south side off the Sante stinky, we were hoping it would link us into the section south of the fire station but ended at some housing around the high school.

That's surprising on the amount of climbing listed on the link Martlet, I honestly thought it was half that, great trail tho and a lot of fun, a very nice addition to our riding options we have, we are very lucky here in the Springs!
    Last edited by rr; 08-26-2007 at 12:45 PM.

mtbr member
    Yeah it was a great ride. Definitely a good workout. Some of the wooded sections reminded me of riding back in Michigan, just with more elevation change. It felt great to ride some twisty wooded singletrack again. I really missed that while I lived in Texas.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by ryguy79
    Yeah it was a great ride. Definitely a good workout. Some of the wooded sections reminded me of riding back in Michigan, just with more elevation change. It felt great to ride some twisty wooded singletrack again. I really missed that while I lived in Texas.
    By the way, be extra courteous to the horseback riders. Pissing off the wrong person could easily set a ban on MTB's into motion. It's easy to go real fast on this trail and come around a corner and really spook a horse + inexperienced rider - look ahead. Fortunately, it's somewhat rare I see horses here, they have lots of other single track to ride on the property.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pcoady
    By the way, be extra courteous to the horseback riders. Pissing off the wrong person could easily set a ban on MTB's into motion. It's easy to go real fast on this trail and come around a corner and really spook a horse + inexperienced rider - look ahead. Fortunately, it's somewhat rare I see horses here, they have lots of other single track to ride on the property.
    Thanks for the advice, but I'm not new to riding multi-use trails. I've been mountain biking for 10 years. I didn't see any horses on saturday. Saw only 3 hikers. All the other traffic was riding bikes.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by ryguy79
    Thanks for the advice, but I'm not new to riding multi-use trails. I've been mountain biking for 10 years. I didn't see any horses on saturday. Saw only 3 hikers. All the other traffic was riding bikes.
    I figured - comment wasn't directed specifically at you. I only mention because the AFA makes the rules and they own the stables and probably many of the horses. They could shut it down to us w/ no public debate or comment. It'd just take pissing off some general (or whatever) out riding his horse.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pcoady
    I figured - comment wasn't directed specifically at you. I only mention because the AFA makes the rules and they own the stables and probably many of the horses. They could shut it down to us w/ no public debate or comment. It'd just take pissing off some general (or whatever) out riding his horse.
    Very true. I was more worried about running into a group of cadets coming around a corner or something.

Medicine Wheel Guy
    I'm a big fan of having a bell on my bike to warn other trail users. Judging from the positive responses I get every day, it seems that hikers are big fans also.