Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Chillaxin 'n Chilcotin!

Springs Evening Ride 9/25/13

What do you guys think? We can explore something like Palmer Trail/Section 16, or try Ute Valley, Red Rocks or CMSP. From what I can gather, both Cheyenne Canyon and Palmer Park are still closed. I'm up for anything.

Just think, one year ago we were getting ready for the 24 Hours of COS in Palmer Park--imagine if we had these conditions for that race?

the Chain Guy
    It would be fun to check out Palmer /Section 16. I haven't heard what shape it is in.

- B

I'm with stupid

Springs Evening Ride 9/25/13

I'm in unless something else crazy happens. It will be the first time since we had tacos after rain jacks that I have been able to ride my bike!

I tapped that

the Chain Guy
    Just got back from a short Ute lunch ride. It is still saturated with water in there. I guess we had more rain last night than I thought... The hog back wasn't bad, but then heading down the south trail toward the HP area the ground is soaked. I had to cut the ride short because my tires were just sinking in. There was even running water still coming down when I headed up the trail we start with when we leave the parking lot.

Chillaxin 'n Chilcotin!
    That's my gut feel too Brian since we haven't heard anything about those trails yet. Do we want to meet at Rudy's or at the caretaker's house?

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Palmer Park was opened Saturday morning. Some damage but nothing like what happened on the west side of town. The trails with the most clay are holding water and Palmer Point on the south-west side has a big boulder in the middle of the trail that needs to be moved. Everything else is typical Palmer after a storm. Not good, not bad just Palmer.
    Last edited by mczen; 09-23-2013 at 04:20 PM.

Chillaxin 'n Chilcotin!
    Good to know--thanks for the update Brian!

For everyone else, do we want to do Palmer Park instead? I'm open for anything as long as it involves 2 spinning wheels that are 26" - 29" in diameter.

Resident Gear Head
    I rode CMSP on Saturday. It is dry but a big section of Cougars Shadow is thrashed and washed out. My rear derailleur is just barely holding on but it is at least rideable. I have never ridden Palmer Trail or Section 16 so I would be game to check those out
    2 Hands Working Do More Than 1000 Hands Praying

formerly Nomad rdr
    Apr 2010
    High drive was closed off at the caretakers cabin on Saturday. Not sure whether Palmer trail is open, lower Section 16 was open though.

Chillaxin 'n Chilcotin!
    Good to know--thanks Shawn! I guess that explains why no one has posted a conditions report for that trail.

Plan B

SS Chimp
    Palmer Trail is in great shape but they closed High Drive indefinitely early last week so technically that loop is out. Red Rocks is all open including Intemann.
    all single...all the time

the Chain Guy
    So it sounds like we're down to CMSP, Red Rocks, or Palmer Park. I am open to any of them. I guess I'd lean more toward Red Rocks or Palmer Park just to avoid the parking pass logistics of CMSP.

Resident Gear Head
    I'm down for Red Rocks

Chillaxin 'n Chilcotin!
    Quote Originally Posted by provin1327 View Post
    I'm down for Red Rocks
    That sounds good--maybe we can find "Don't Listen to Square Pushers" again. Meet at Rudy's at 6:00 and please bring lights everyone!

Team Inflexible
    Sounds awesome!!!

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I've heard that Palmer Trail is in great shape and Section 16 isn't bad at all except for one of the hairpin corners about half way down and the lower sections through all that red clay like soil. Also heard there were some people disobeying the closed trail signs posted at both High Drive and at the top of Section 16.

Resident Gear Head
    So Section 16 and Palmer Trail are both closed but people disobeying the closed sign have reported they are in good shape?

See you guys tomorrow at 6

mtbr member
    Rudys at 6, let me know if you want to ride over

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Ill ride over..

Chillaxin 'n Chilcotin!
    Yeah Wednesday! For what it's worth, I brought the Knolly today...

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Hi All,
    Simon from Canada here - I cannot say thank you enough for showing me this awesome part of your trail systems!
    Simply outstanding!!!
    I truly appreciate the 'open arms' welcome to the ride... despite my obvious lack of climbing ability!!
    For those ever lucky enough to get out with this group - do it!! Great group or guys and girl, and although I was disappointed to make them wait at the top of the climbs - to a man (and woman) it was never an issue with them!!
    Just a great group. I travel with work (east coast) and am yet to hook up with such a good group!
    Thanks again - patience on the ups and super friendly welcome was outstanding and so appreciated!

I am going to Angel Fire Sunday 29th. Renting a car and driving down. If anyone wants a ride for the day down to Angel Fire - let me know.

And one question. I spoke to a few of the group, my intention was to do the Monarch Crest trail (shuttle from Poncha Springs) next Sat/Sun Oct 5/6. Sounds like that might not be possible with the weather... So if that's the case - what MUST I do in the Colorado Rockies. I'll have a car, two free days - and am not opposed to hours of travel to see/do something that to me will probably be once in a lifetime...

Any thoughts on 'Colorado Must Do's' let me know.

Thanks again, hopefully get out again with the group.

Simon

Chillaxin 'n Chilcotin!
    Absolutely Simon--I'm glad you were able to hook up for a ride! So many of the "must do" rides in Colorado are winding down for the season. Keep an eye on the Monarch conditions--it's possible that we won't get snow again and that it will be rideable by Oct 5. If it's not, I'd suggest Fruita. It's a long drive, but the trails are a blast and it's going to be way different than anything you'll see on the east coast. What do the rest of you guys recommend?

BTW, that was a super fun ride last night! I love that trail combo!

the Chain Guy
    That was a fun ride. Hopefully Jimmy is feeling ok this morning. Simon, I was going to suggest the same as Kristian. Check out Fruita and Grand Junction if you can't hit Monarch. The only negative is the 6+ hour drive.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Im feeling good... That was a great ride!!! Simon definitely hit fruita..its actually only about a 4 hour drive.
    As far an angel fire, Im thinking im going to try and make that work! Do you have a contact number?

gotta get up to get down
    sick ride, so happy we made it!

also, great to meet ya Simon...thanks for tagging along, lots of climbing turned out to be worth the descent!

kinda rutted and crazy, but still mostly rideable, glad we all made it down in one piece

rumor is palmer park is the word for next weds?

this whole school/work thing is putting a damper in my not-give-a-****-ride-bikes-24/7 schedule. MIGHT be able to make AF this sunday, not sure quite yet

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast