Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Almost Human
    Sep 2007

Springs Dog Survey

www.trailsandopenspaces.org

Parks Initiative. The Colorado Springs Parks, Recreation and Cultural Services Department is soliciting input on your experience with dogs off leash or with aggressive dogs. They want to quantify the problem and then look at specific actions needed to mitigate the problem: E-mail them: myexperience@springsgov.com

Thread Terrorist
    If an unleashed dog gets in my way, I'll run over the f'n mut.

Bianchimtb
    Jul 2007
    why should the dog pay for its owners stupidity? Don't hit it, just yell at the owners and run them off the trail
    Whatever hurts you, can only make you stronger

skillz to pay billz
    I like dogs

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    In Durango this was a problem last year. Dog's were off leash and people not picking up after them. I love dogs love them more on a leash.I got bit on the Colorado trail right in front of the owner. This is a hot topic in New Mexico too.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    My wife hikes with our dogs (on non-extending leashes) while I ride on the trails. She has a bigger problem with off leash dogs than I do. My dogs are passive, gregarious and mind their own business when passing other bikers, leashed dogs, horses and hikers on the trails. What they don't like is another dog charging my wife when the other dog is off leash even if it may have good intentions. The owners of the other dogs always yell something to the tune of ďdonít worry my dog is friendlyĒ as their dogs charge. They donít understand that the other leashed dog (my dogs) may not react so kindly to the situation.

I think fines should be imposed more readily for this infraction.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    BTW Indecent Exposure, run over the owner not the dog!!!

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Wow! Iím disappointed to learn that some mountain bikers canít show tolerance for other trail users. How easily inconvenience can turn into aggression. Is there any hope this thread will not self-destruct?

friend of Apex
    I let my aggressive dogs run off leash.
    They will knock you off your bike if you look at them the wrong way or make aggresive moves towards them.

I have plenty of disposable income to pay fines.
    the drugs made me realize it's not about the drugs

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Off leash dogs suck. In almost EVERY case.

gravity curmudgeon
    Off leash people cause 99% of the problems on Earth. I'm still trying to find their owners so I can complain.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Wow, thank you. A dog off a leash is a problem. I know a owner with a dog of leash has some halo above their head. However, their dog can bite too. I share trails with people that have a clue. They have a leash and bag. Were I live now they will not let me in the park with a dog because of all the off leash dog people. In Cloudcroft new Mexico this year a dog was killed. One dog on a leash the other off.The dog off leash killed the leashed one. I know people want this too just go away but the National Forest Service will not.They want dogs on a leash and some times people.

gravity curmudgeon
    Our big problem around here is off leash grizzly bears. Next time I come across one, I'm going to run it over.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I hope the leashed dog you own is at home. Bears scare me ran into one on Jones Creek trail last summer in Durango my front tire did not go over her or the cub.

friend of Apex
    If you are in the National Forest... and the sight of a domesticated animal off-leash trailing behind its owner on singletrack is upsetting to you.... perhaps the forest isn't your thing.
    Last edited by WKD-RDR; 05-07-2008 at 05:22 PM.
    the drugs made me realize it's not about the drugs

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    God, I love those pic have a black lab too. I would never put her on a trail off leash. As I said this is too hard for us to talk about. Some see the point some dont. I love dogs. I foster and have three. I walk on leash,run on leash, and yes, ride on a leash 20 miles a day. Maybe we all can come to some agrement that the forest, streets can be safe for all. The forest is for everyone . I just say if you have a dog and its loose and running at me full speed I do not know that dog or love it. Puting it on a leash makes me feel better.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by WKD-RDR
    If you are in the National Forest... and the sight of a domesticated animal off-leash trailing behind its owner on singletrack is upsetting to you.... perhaps the forest isn't your thing.
    No problem as long as those f**kers get out of my way.

Bianchimtb
    Jul 2007
    Its such an easy concept some boneheads can't grasp. Put the leash on, its the rules.
    Whatever hurts you, can only make you stronger

WWJR
    Quote Originally Posted by cowdog
    Our big problem around here is off leash grizzly bears. Next time I come across one, I'm going to run it over.

**How about off leash dogs and their owners shuttling and bombing Apex!?!?!?!

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    This thred always brings the heart and sole of dog people out. Why? When I walk the streets a loose dog comes at me I spray it. In the forest a dog off leash is a great dog. Anyone agree.

WWJR
    Quote Originally Posted by SkaredShtles
    No problem as long as those f**kers get out of my way.

Or vice versa!

leashem
    I leave my dog at the Palmer Park dog park and take a few laps on my bike and come back and pick her up later. No one really notices if its busy enough.

I dream on two wheels
    Here is what annoys me. The last couple years I've been seeing more more little poop bags left on the side of the trail. Why the hell would you take the time to pick up the crap with a plastic bag, tie it in a knot, then throw it on the side of the trail? Why not just throw the crap off trail( minus the plastic bag) That will decompose a lot better than a plastic bag.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by hullendersauce
    Or vice versa!
    That's the main reason I carry a .44 Magnum on the trails with me. It's not because of the bears....

Thread Terrorist
    Quote Originally Posted by smithrider
    BTW Indecent Exposure, run over the owner not the dog!!!
    I know I've posted it before, did you hear about my Kenosha trail encounter? Heading up hill behind two riders. Unleashed dog (for the 12th time that day) gets in the way (we passed the owner already). The lady in front slams on her brakes to keep from hitting the dog. It moves, we all continue. My friend, in front of me, clips back in and resumes.... once again, the dog runs in front of him causing him to stumble while braking. I hit boiling point with the owner and started to curse a blue streak. (there must have been 30 people witnessing the altercation). My friend who has no temper finally blew his top.

I'd go to jail if I assaulted the hiker.
    The Hiker would get a ticket, possibly other court charges if the dog cause due harm by not being leashed.

You're right, its not the dogs fault, but the owners need to learn the lesson.

Skardshtlss broke an ankle because of an unleashed dog. He could've filed charges, I later found out.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast