Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Springbrook...with rattlers!!

I've seen a few Gopher snakes crossing the road but never rattlers. I gave up worrying about them after a year of paranoia because (I thought) they just weren't there. They were all on Apex launching out to bite tires and such.

So I'm hiking along, testing out a new lens, fiddling with settings, not watching where my feet are about to land when...SH1T!!!...my foot is just about to land down on a coiled up rattler! I extended my stride and figured he was going to launch up and attach to my huevos. My foot landed, I jumped aside and he hadn't moved. I checked out his coiled self and maybe he'd just come out of his hibernation place and was just trying to warm up. Because I checked him out for about five minutes and except for the tongue thing he didn't move. Which is a good thing. Whew.

Trail wasn't closed, there was a constant stream of bikers going by in the distance.

Apparently the deer hadn't received the memo about avoiding the muddy trails.

And some wayward Pasque's are still coming up. Which is also a good thing.

A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

mtbr member
    Saw one out on Blue Sky today too, in the middle of the steep climb just south of the junction @ Rimrock...It's the earliest in the year I've ever seen one.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    How was the trail? I'm thinking about heading that way tomorrow at lunch if my schedule permits.

mtbr member
    Good to go... Just a couple small wet spots toward the north end, everything else was dry all the way down to the DBB lot.

Almost Human
    Sep 2007
    Are you sure that's not a bull snake?

mtbr member
    Yes

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by UncleTrail View Post
    Are you sure that's not a bull snake?
    Don't think so. The markings are similar but a bull snake has a more elongated head. This one had that flat nose area of a rattler.
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

The 5th knuckle
    The ridges on the head and protruding jaws are all rattle snake.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hernando Gutierrez
    The only thing you have to figure out is don't fall down. To keep riding the bike.

mtbr member
    Saw two out on the north end of the DBB run. One on the flat rolly section heading towards soderburg (SP?) and the other on the downhill as previously mentioned.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by jaycastlerock View Post
    The ridges on the head and protruding jaws are all rattle snake.
    I tell you my foot was going down right on top of him when I noticed him. I was six inches from stepping on a coiled rattler! Glad he was in such a torpor. Or maybe if he wasn't waking up he'd have rattled and alerted me before I got that close. Rattler fangs sunk into cojones. Wouldn't that make a great Youtube vid?

mtbr member
    I have a feeling that if you search you can find something.....

mtbr member
    Nice shots of the rattler. I had a similar incident a couple years ago at Roxborough. I was walking on backwards on the trail shooting some footage of my daughter and next thing I know I hear fast rattling. Startled, I jumped and turned around and sure enough he was slittering off trail just about two feet from me. I can only imagine how much worse the situation could've been.

mtbr member
    Great pictures. Saw a rattler in Castle Rock today. Looks like the season is back!

The 5th knuckle
    Quote Originally Posted by Funrover View Post
    Great pictures. Saw a rattler in Castle Rock today. Looks like the season is back!
    Where was that at?
    The only thing you have to figure out is don't fall down. To keep riding the bike.

Ride Everything
    Springbrook seems to be prime rattler territory. A couple of years ago, a few of us happened upon one, and did our best to warn others. One woman walking her off-leash dog thanked us, then proceeded to put her ear-phones back in...
    GRAVELBIKE.COM - ride everything

The 5th knuckle
    Here's nuts and rattler. Did'n the squirrel know not to throw things and antagonize wildlife? He probable walks off trail too.....

mtbr member
    Where was that at?
    On Santa Fe by lowes coming out of the field.

mtbr member
    Forgive my naivete, but is it normal to carry some kind of first-aid treatment for a rattler bite? If so, what should I be packing in my bag? I've only been riding since last fall, and haven't had any encounters (that I know of). I ride alone most of the time, and haven't given any thought to how I would handle a bite outside of trying to get to a hospital asap.

The 5th knuckle
    Quote Originally Posted by Wicket? View Post
    Forgive my naivete, but is it normal to carry some kind of first-aid treatment for a rattler bite? If so, what should I be packing in my bag? I've only been riding since last fall, and haven't had any encounters (that I know of). I ride alone most of the time, and haven't given any thought to how I would handle a bite outside of trying to get to a hospital asap.
    You got me thinking and binging away, here is what I found:

1. Carry a PLB(Personal location beacon). You want medical attention as soon as possible.

The Six Doníts

Donít let the allow the victim to engage in strenuous physical activity. If necessary, carry the person to safety. Otherwise, have them hike out slowly without their pack so they are not over-exerted.

Donít apply a tourniquet. Restricting superficial blood flow does keep the venom from spreading, which you want to avoid. Concentrated venom will rapidly destroy cells. Allowing it to spread will dilute the toxin and reduce tissue damage.

Donít apply a cold pack. Cold reduces healthy circulation to the infected area. Also, some experts believe snake venom increases vulnerability to frostbite.

Donít apply a suction device. Removing the venom by suction was once standard procedure, but is no longer considered safe treatment. These devices generally to not remove a substantial amount of toxin and can damage sensitive tissue.

Donít let the snake bite victim eat or drink anything, including medication and alcohol, unless okayed by medical staff.

Donít cut across the bite marks and attempt oral suction. Because snake fangs are curved, the pocket of venom will not be where expected and will probably have already spread. Plus, many snake bites are considered ďdry,Ē where there was no toxin released into the victim. This may also increase the risk of infection in the area by having an open wound.

Identify species of snake. (Necessary for anti-venom treatment)
    Move away from the snake.
    Stay Calm. Keep your heart rate down. Do not panic.
    Do not elevate the bite. Keep it below the heart.
    Activate your Emergency Locator Beacon.

If youíre traveling with a group, send the fastest person to the nearest place for help. Make sure they travel safely!
    Remove any jewelry or clothing that could become constricting when the bitten area swells.
    You can use a snake bit kit to try and siphon venom out, but this method is highly debated by professionals. Your time may be better spent with the other steps.
    Clean the bite with soap and water or antiseptic wipe before administering any other snake bite first aid.
    Wrap bite area tightly with ace bandage. Start below the bite and work your way up, do NOT wrap too tight, restricting circulation.
    Itís also a good idea to immobilize or splint, if the bite is on an extremity, to prevent movement. This helps keep the venom from spreading more quickly.

mtbr member
    Wow. Thanks for the info. Pretty sure I would have done most of the "don'ts" if I were bitten and had never seen that info before. I'll chalk it up to growing up in, and rarely venturing outside of, mid-western suburbia.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    F*** Snakes! I hate snakes!

I'd punch every snake I see in the FACE!

Loser
    Mar 2008
    Here's nuts and rattler. Did'n the squirrel know not to throw things and antagonize wildlife? He probable walks off trail too.....

Wow...those squirrels have some huge nuts.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRage43 View Post
    F*** Snakes! I hate snakes!

I'd punch every snake I see in the FACE!
    And come away with a fistful of rattlesnake attached.

The 5th knuckle
    More... on MSNBC today.
    MSN Entertainment -

mtbr member
    Put your irrational fears to rest, here.

I'd worry more about the inattentive driver sending text messages than a rattler bite.

From the above:

"Massasauga (moss-a-SAW-guh), Sistrurus catenatus; Disposition: Considered shy and not aggressive, but may defend themselves vigorously."

"Western Rattlesnake, Crotalus viridis; Disposition: Not aggressive, but will defend themselves if threatened or provoked."

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast