mtbr member

Spring Canyon/PineRidge Fort Collins, dry at all?

Hey local FoCo people,
    For the past two years I have been able to get a January trail ride at Spring Canyon/Pineridge west of the town. I know it's not really an epic destination but I am craving any sort of trail ride after being couped up for two months. It's been warming up a bit so I am wondering if any of this is rideable? I live in Cheyenne otherwise I would just drive to check. Thanks for any info, I am always available for info on trails in my neck of the woods if you need any info!

Now with 10% more!
    This is what I know.

Fort Collins Natural Area CLOSURES

I think that was posted a few days ago.

mtbr member
    Thanks for update. Maybe that area will dry out enough to squeeze in a ride before more snow comes.

Now with 10% more!
    I did a road ride on Sunday up by Horsetooth reservoir. It seemed a number of vehicles carrying mountain bikes were headed up to Bobcat Ridge. I imagine it would be a bit of a snowy ride but it seems to be open. Also, Devil's Backbone (a little further down in Loveland) is usually the first thing to dry out.

mtbr member
    I have videos of people riding down Bobcat with snow on the trail. I imagine the way down is pretty clear but the way up has more snow.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by GnarBrahWyo View Post
    I have videos of people riding down Bobcat with snow on the trail. I imagine the way down is pretty clear but the way up has more snow.
    Bobcat / Ginny trails are as near perfect as they can get. There is zero mud & snow is so minimal it's almost not worth mentioning. I rode there Saturday & Sunday (up & down Ginny). Mint! Everywhere else in Ft Collins is sloppy & probably closed.

mtbr member
    Oh man. Got me jonesin' for a ride.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I might head down to Bobcat/Ginny this week sometimes (which means, Jon, let me know if you go and need a riding buddy!). I'm itching to get on the trails as well. I've never been there and have no idea how to find it, but I'm sure I'll figure it out

So sick of road riding at this point... and WY wind and snow and cold and stupidness. I swear if one more person tells me to just rent a snowbike and "deal with it" I'm going to scream...

mtbr member
    Oh man. Got me jonesin' for a ride.
    Well, here, let me help you with that Taken last weekend
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Spring Canyon/PineRidge Fort Collins, dry at all?-ginny-half-way-down.jpg  

Spring Canyon/PineRidge Fort Collins, dry at all?-ginny-half-way-up.jpg  

Spring Canyon/PineRidge Fort Collins, dry at all?-top-ginny.jpg  

Spring Canyon/PineRidge Fort Collins, dry at all?-img_4565.jpg  

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sooshee View Post
    I might head down to Bobcat/Ginny this week sometimes (which means, Jon, let me know if you go and need a riding buddy!). I'm itching to get on the trails as well. I've never been there and have no idea how to find it, but I'm sure I'll figure it out

So sick of road riding at this point... and WY wind and snow and cold and stupidness. I swear if one more person tells me to just rent a snowbike and "deal with it" I'm going to scream...
    I'll let ya know if I do head that way. Bobcat is pretty fun. Starts off with a pretty intense climb on doubletrack and then turns into a fairly technical descent after you hug the countour of the mountain for a while. It's no Gowdy, but fun. This is a vid of the area some guy posted from last Jan.

Jan 28, 2012 - Ginny Trail Down / Bobcat Ridge - YouTube

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by inkpad View Post
    Well, here, let me help you with that Taken last weekend
    (mouth begins to salivate)

mtbr member
    I'll let ya know if I do head that way. Bobcat is pretty fun. Starts off with a pretty intense climb on doubletrack and then turns into a fairly technical descent after you hug the countour of the mountain for a while. It's no Gowdy, but fun. This is a vid of the area some guy posted from last Jan.

IMO, it is way more fun to do Ginny as an out & back. Plus, I heard from my wife that the steep a$$ fireroad climb is looser than ever & not very fun. If Ginny proper is not enough distance, you can keep going on the singletrack from the top of Ginny to the lot, then turn around & shoot back.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by inkpad View Post
    IMO, it is way more fun to do Ginny as an out & back. Plus, I heard from my wife that the steep a$$ fireroad climb is looser than ever & not very fun. If Ginny proper is not enough distance, you can keep going on the singletrack from the top of Ginny to the lot, then turn around & shoot back.
    Yeah, I was there in early Decemeber with my buddies and that fire climb was brutal. Lots of baseball-sized loose rock that is just a b*tch to ride through, let a lone being that steep. Not to mention I am out of riding shape already...lol. An optional route would rule. I will have to look at the map of the area.

mtbr member
    How is Valley Trail loop? Dry or not? I took the Powerline trail last time, lol.

mtbr member
    The Valley Loop is good for a warmup before heading up Ginny, or for adding some mileage at the end...its mostly flat and there is really nothing tech to speak of. Inkpad's got it right though, the way to do it is to climb Ginny up and then drop down into Mahoney Park to where it meets Powerline and then back out the way you came.

I haven't been up there in a while and Inkpad's pics have me itching for a ride up there...probably gonna hit this up over the weekend.

mtbr member

Blue Sky & Indian Summer Good To Go 1-22-2013

Another option for ya, just took these photos, banged out a lunch ride. Blue Sky from the Canyon Grill lot to Indian Summer. Did Indian counter clockwise to the top then back. Conditions are epic!! Almost zero snow & mud, would say 99% dry.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Spring Canyon/PineRidge Fort Collins, dry at all?-img_4595.jpg  

Spring Canyon/PineRidge Fort Collins, dry at all?-img_4596.jpg  

Spring Canyon/PineRidge Fort Collins, dry at all?-img_4598.jpg  

Recovering
    Looks great. I hit Coyote Ridge and Rimrock late afternoon yesterday, and conditions were good there, so I'll assume that the whole Backbone/Blue Sky/Coyote Ridge system is ready to ride. Also rode Bobcat Ridge on Sunday, and can confirm that conditions are fantastic... maybe the best conditions I've seen there in a year or more. Even the drop down to Mahoney Park with that north facing slope was fine.

Rim Rock...

Former New Yorker, now in Fort Collins
    http://www.nycmtb.com

mtbr member
    Jun 2012

I was planning on doing Ginny as an out and back to avoid the fire road. I might have been able to convince a friend from Laramie to go with me sometime this week. Maybe thursday or Friday.. depends... I'll have to ride the ol' heavy broke ass Giant unless I can borrow the Epic from jail (aka layaway), LOL. I should just ask to take their demo Epic... or the Fate... anything over the existing bike I own!

Now that I see the photos of Blue Sky I'm so confused on where I should ride! All I know is I gotta, somehow!

pain intolerant
    Anyone have updates on the Lory/HTMP park valley trails? I'm guessing there's intermittent mud, but maybe by this weekend? Seems like the new Sawmill could dry fast too, at least up to tree line.

Inkpad's right about Bluesky. Only mud was at the entrance gate above the tunnel (entering from the road) and a few feet on both sides of the tunnel.

Now with 10% more!
    Hmmm.... seems almost every trail except the one you asked about is good to go! It's news to me and good to hear.

mtbr member
    Heidi,
    If I do go, it'll probably be Saturday. That heavy Fate will just make you stronger! My Stumpy weighs 27, not heavy, but not exactly light either.
    FoCo ppl,
    The owner of my LBS mentioned one of his customers rode Middle London trail. Where is that trail at?

slow
    I've never heard of Middle London Trail.

Maxwell Trail on the front side of the reservoir was pretty good today. Just some mud in the clearing below the upper road. Shoreline was 98% clear and dry, with a small amount of mud in the north facing areas.

jradin, It seems like HTMP and Lory are usually the last to dry, and that mud is so sticky in the valley at Lory. It might be good by the weekend, but it is usually my last place to try. If you find good conditions, post up.

pain intolerant
    Quote Originally Posted by sgltrak View Post
    jradin, It seems like HTMP and Lory are usually the last to dry, and that mud is so sticky in the valley at Lory. It might be good by the weekend, but it is usually my last place to try. If you find good conditions, post up.
    I agree but began to wonder since they wrote "come to Lory, conditions are great" on the Lory Facebook page a few days ago. Of course, in the past, the Lory rangers have declared "good conditions" what I consider "muddy mess". I'll try to give them a call today.

slow
    Quote Originally Posted by jradin View Post
    I agree but began to wonder since they wrote "come to Lory, conditions are great" on the Lory Facebook page a few days ago. Of course, in the past, the Lory rangers have declared "good conditions" what I consider "muddy mess". I'll try to give them a call today.
    Thanks in advance for any updates you find.

From the Denver Front Range Trail Conditions Thread yesterday evening:

"Blue Sky and Indian Summer are near perfect! The trail from Blue Sky parking lot to the tunnel is still a bit wet but not bad. Horsetooth and Lory are still a mess."

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Heidi,
    If I do go, it'll probably be Saturday. That heavy Fate will just make you stronger! My Stumpy weighs 27, not heavy, but not exactly light either.
    FoCo ppl,
    The owner of my LBS mentioned one of his customers rode Middle London trail. Where is that trail at?
    I think you meant my Giant at 34 pounds... A Fate weighs like 22 pounds, LOL. Really I'm just going to plead to borrow my Epic for a few days and make another huge payment. If that doesn't work I'll steal one of their demo bikes. :P You know I'm wimpy, I don't want to climb with my heavy monster...

At this point, I think Thursday, Friday, and Saturday I am going to ride down there. I don't care about gas money and miles on my car at this point, I'm just beyond sick of pavement! So I might be in for Saturday, I just can't make a very late day out of it as I have to head back up to Douglas for work that night.

mtbr member
    I think you meant my Giant at 34 pounds... A Fate weighs like 22 pounds, LOL. Really I'm just going to plead to borrow my Epic for a few days and make another huge payment. If that doesn't work I'll steal one of their demo bikes. :P You know I'm wimpy, I don't want to climb with my heavy monster...

At this point, I think Thursday, Friday, and Saturday I am going to ride down there. I don't care about gas money and miles on my car at this point, I'm just beyond sick of pavement! So I might be in for Saturday, I just can't make a very late day out of it as I have to head back up to Douglas for work that night.
    34 pounds, the creeping up in downhill bike territory! Makes you stronger though! I will let you know about Sat soonish. It's crazy how fast I have fallen out of shape in two months. I really need to get out. lol

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I've gotten out of shape as well, despite the trainer and what not. I did surprise myself today, though, and laid down a PR on the Frostbite TT course out by Wellington on the Shiv. Gave me a good confidence boost as I feel so slow on that bike!

My first MTB race is in April so I'm starting to get paranoid that I lost all my riding skills and ability in the past few months... I guess I'll see how it goes!

mtbr member
    I've gotten out of shape as well, despite the trainer and what not. I did surprise myself today, though, and laid down a PR on the Frostbite TT course out by Wellington on the Shiv. Gave me a good confidence boost as I feel so slow on that bike!

My first MTB race is in April so I'm starting to get paranoid that I lost all my riding skills and ability in the past few months... I guess I'll see how it goes!
    Are you racing the Laramie Mountain Biking Series or something else? I guess that doesn't start until June so it probably wouldn't be that. What were you thinking of riding Sat and what time did you wanna ride?

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Gnar, I'm assuming CG is too snowy to ride since you are looking at Ft Collins to ride?

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Hey brokefork dont bother with Curt gowdy, there snowed in. I heard devils backbone is a good ride, but not worth the travel from laramie plus its a short ride. Any thoughts, on other trails worth checking out around FOCO? I have done alot of rides in northern colo, but I might be missing something worth checking out.

pain intolerant
    Quote Originally Posted by stumpynerd View Post
    Hey brokefork dont bother with Curt gowdy, there snowed in. I heard devils backbone is a good ride, but not worth the travel from laramie plus its a short ride. Any thoughts, on other trails worth checking out around FOCO? I have done alot of rides in northern colo, but I might be missing something worth checking out.
    stumpynerd-
    Devil's Backbone + Inidan Summer + Coyote Ridge + Blue Sky = A nice day of dry riding.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by brokefork View Post
    Gnar, I'm assuming CG is too snowy to ride since you are looking at Ft Collins to ride?
    Yeah I heard Middle Kingdom is rideable but everything else is windswept snow and not rideable. Usually eary and late in the season I ride FoCo since it stays dryer longer there.

mtbr member
    stumpynerd-
    Devil's Backbone + Inidan Summer + Coyote Ridge + Blue Sky = A nice day of dry riding.
    I heard those are more non-technical XC-type trails. Is that true? I like to mix it up with some rockier terrain. I guess in January I shouldn't be picky, but I'm still curious.

pain intolerant
    I heard those are more non-technical XC-type trails. Is that true? I like to mix it up with some rockier terrain. I guess in January I shouldn't be picky, but I'm still curious.
    Devil's Backbone IMO is one of the more technical trails in the area. Indian Summer and Blue Sky are non-technical XC trails, but not boring. Coyote Ridge is a mixed bag, but mostly non-technical.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Are you racing the Laramie Mountain Biking Series or something else? I guess that doesn't start until June so it probably wouldn't be that. What were you thinking of riding Sat and what time did you wanna ride?
    I'll do those when I can (LMBS), but first race is in Fruita... Rumble at 18 Road mid-April. I'm trying to do a good mix of USAC races and local stuff.

And we've already discussed Saturday so....

I had an awesome time riding Blue Sky & Indian Summer today. Got down to Devil's Backbone, but decided to turn around (I was enjoying flying on the smooth single track way too much to do uber technical stuff, plus I still don't want to scratch my bike). First part leaving the parking lot is snowy and muddy, but made it all that much more fun! I'm just sad I had to take the Epic back to the store... sigh. At least they let me have it for a one day pass, LOL! And damn, after riding only the road for a few months, it was so nice to get back to my happy zone!

slow
    I had an awesome time riding Blue Sky & Indian Summer today. Got down to Devil's Backbone, but decided to turn around (I was enjoying flying on the smooth single track way too much to do uber technical stuff, plus I still don't want to scratch my bike). First part leaving the parking lot is snowy and muddy, but made it all that much more fun! I'm just sad I had to take the Epic back to the store... sigh. At least they let me have it for a one day pass, LOL! And damn, after riding only the road for a few months, it was so nice to get back to my happy zone!
    Blue Sky was super fast today! Great day to be out there!

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    If Maxwell and Res Ridge are open I'm assuming Shoreline is good to go as well?

slow
    Quote Originally Posted by stapes View Post
    If Maxwell and Res Ridge are open I'm assuming Shoreline is good to go as well?
    Yes, Shoreline is a go.

pain intolerant
    Yes, Shoreline is a go.
    The section of Shoreline between the swim beach parking lot and the northern terminus (where you exit the trail to the road, right before the damn) is pretty muddy. I'd recommend not riding that northern section.

slow
    The section of Shoreline between the swim beach parking lot and the northern terminus (where you exit the trail to the road, right before the damn) is pretty muddy. I'd recommend not riding that northern section.
    Agreed. The climb from the parking lot was OK, but I jumped onto the pavement at the sign post for the Foothills Trail at the top of the hill.

The other bad muddy spot is the little valley between the top of the North Dam hill pavement and where the Reservoir Ridge trail comes up from the parking lot at the bottom of the north dam. That is a mess.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Thanks for all the info guys!

mtbr member
    Rode today. Was prefect weather, high 50's. Semi-crowded but can't complain for riding in Jan. Had lot's of fun. Thanks for the info, guys!

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Rode today. Was prefect weather, high 50's. Semi-crowded but can't complain for riding in Jan. Had lot's of fun. Thanks for the info, guys!
    Yep, it was perfect except for all the people! That's just one thing I am not use to. And wouldn't you know the fatty Giant did just fine

mtbr member
    Yep, it was perfect except for all the people! That's just one thing I am not use to.
    Last weekends crowds were worse than I've seen in a long time, I don't think I've ever seen people parking out on the street leading back into the trailhead at DBB like they were on Sunday. When we start having nice weekends consistently again the crowds will clear out a lot.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Wankel View Post
    Last weekends crowds were worse than I've seen in a long time, I don't think I've ever seen people parking out on the street leading back into the trailhead at DBB like they were on Sunday. When we start having nice weekends consistently again the crowds will clear out a lot.
    That's good to know. I've only ridden down there before on weekdays, except for last Saturday. Weekdays are nice and lonely and I love that! I really don't like the whole "ride 50 feet, stop and yield to another bike. Ride 50 feet, stop and yield to another bike. Ride 50 feet, stop and yield to another bike" thing Saturday had going on in the late afternoon. Perhaps it's tell I learn to yell Strava and just barge through everyone.... :P (just kidding seriously...)

mtbr member
    One big perk of riding in Wyoming is rarely having to deal crowds. Gowdy gets crowded sometimes, but usually only the weekends. When I try to avoid the place. I like riding near Fort Co at the start/end of the season because it stays warmer/dryer longer.

pain intolerant
    That's good to know. I've only ridden down there before on weekdays, except for last Saturday. Weekdays are nice and lonely and I love that! I really don't like the whole "ride 50 feet, stop and yield to another bike. Ride 50 feet, stop and yield to another bike. Ride 50 feet, stop and yield to another bike" thing Saturday had going on in the late afternoon. Perhaps it's tell I learn to yell Strava and just barge through everyone.... :P (just kidding seriously...)
    I thought last weekend was a bit of an anomaly. I've ridden Blue Sky plenty of times on weekends and never seen it that crowded. With Horsetooth Mountain Park and Lory both snowy/muddy, the crowds were concentrated on the few remaining trails. Temperature played a role too since fewer people ride early when they know it's going to warm up to the 50s, placing a lot of people on a limited number of trails during the warmer hours (myself included!)

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    One big perk of riding in Wyoming is rarely having to deal crowds. Gowdy gets crowded sometimes, but usually only the weekends. When I try to avoid the place. I like riding near Fort Co at the start/end of the season because it stays warmer/dryer longer.
    The only time I've seen Tie City/Happy Jack be bad was with hikers when the leaves changed colors in the fall. Luckily it never gets bike crowded except during races. The great thing about Gowdy is that it's big enough so people kind of get spread out. I still prefer it on weekdays, though, especially if I just want to haul some butt on Shoreline and the flowier trails. STC is always awkward because I always seem to end up going the opposite way of the flow of traffic, as I prefer clockwise. Oh welll...

mtbr member
    Anyone know the trial forecast for this weekend? Sat/Sun?

slow
    Snow is melted out of my front yard near the bottom of Maxwell. Will try to get out around lunch time today and have a look at conditions.

pain intolerant
    Snow is melted out of my front yard near the bottom of Maxwell. Will try to get out around lunch time today and have a look at conditions.
    Pineridge was dry. Timber Trail at Pineridge was mostly dry, but the 4-5 muddy patches were enough to limit me to one lap. I'd give Timber until Sunday. Maxwell should be dry.

slow
    Pineridge was dry. Timber Trail at Pineridge was mostly dry, but the 4-5 muddy patches were enough to limit me to one lap. I'd give Timber until Sunday. Maxwell should be dry.
    Thanks for the update. Work got busy this afternoon and I didn't make it out for the 5th day in a row. I hope to take an extended look at trail conditions tomorrow and Sunday.

mtbr member
    Today I rode Blue Sky/Rimrock, Devil's Playground again and it was 99% dry. Had a good ride. Not as many people as there were last week. I imagine tomorrow would be a good time to ride if you aren't into football. It's gonna be even nice I hear.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Thanks for all the updates, everyone. Great to hear people are getting out, and that the trails are dry. Haven't ridden Blue Sky on a weekend in a long long time, hopefully lot's of folks stay in to watch that football game I keep hearing about and I have the trails to myself. And if not, well, I guess I'll see you out there!

pain intolerant
    The Kimmons/Timber loop out at Lory is in good shape. Kimmons was 100% dry. Just a bit of packed snow and thin mud at the top of Timber before the Kimmons intersection. The section of valley trail that connects the loop had some mud, but it barely stuck to the tires. I'm thinking the valley trails will be sloppy in the gulleys but might be in pretty good shape overall.

slow
    The Kimmons/Timber loop out at Lory is in good shape. Kimmons was 100% dry. Just a bit of packed snow and thin mud at the top of Timber before the Kimmons intersection. The section of valley trail that connects the loop had some mud, but it barely stuck to the tires. I'm thinking the valley trails will be sloppy in the gulleys but might be in pretty good shape overall.
    Thanks for the update. I saw pix and a report yesterday that Howard is dry up to the top.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Carie/North Stout was a little messy Saturday, but didn't stick to the tires.

pain intolerant
    Quote Originally Posted by cytoe View Post
    Carie/North Stout was a little messy Saturday, but didn't stick to the tires.
    Thanks for the update cytoe. Did you get up or down via Sawmill? Just wondering how the new Sawmill dries compared to the other trails.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Thanks for the update cytoe. Did you get up or down via Sawmill? Just wondering how the new Sawmill dries compared to the other trails.
    Didn't do Sawmill... We started at the South lot -> fireroad (yuk), Spring Creek -> Herrington -> Carrie -> North Stout -> South Stout -> cow path -> Spring Creek -> out. By time time we left the parking lot, there was a line of cars circling like buzzards.

mtbr member
    As sgltrak mentioned, rode up lower Mill to Howard, up to Westridge intersection Saturday & was nearly perfect & free of mud & snow. Short ride, but great climb! Rode with a group Sunday & did lower valley to Mill from the Soderberg lot, the up Mill / Howard, then rode up Westridge to the peak, again, near perfect conditions!

pain intolerant
    Good stuff cytoe and inkpad, thanks for the updates.

insert sarcasm here
    How're Bobcat Ridge and Backbone after this week's snow? Trails still mostly dirt? Thinking of heading out that way tomorrow morning if conditions are good. TIA

pain intolerant
    Devil's and Bobcat are both good to go. Probably some snow in north facing slopes at Bobcat, but should be 95% dry.

mtbr member
    BlueSky Indian summer were totally dry today. So I would think devil's backbone would be as well.

insert sarcasm here
    Quote Originally Posted by pulser View Post
    BlueSky Indian summer were totally dry today. So I would think devil's backbone would be as well.
    I didn't wake up early enough to make the drive from Denver and beat the weekend crowds, but thanks nonetheless for the report!

Members who have read this thread: 0