Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 65
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: GnarBrahWyo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    1,905

    Spring Canyon/PineRidge Fort Collins, dry at all?

    Hey local FoCo people,
    For the past two years I have been able to get a January trail ride at Spring Canyon/Pineridge west of the town. I know it's not really an epic destination but I am craving any sort of trail ride after being couped up for two months. It's been warming up a bit so I am wondering if any of this is rideable? I live in Cheyenne otherwise I would just drive to check. Thanks for any info, I am always available for info on trails in my neck of the woods if you need any info!

  2. #2
    Now with 10% more!
    Reputation: Da Dook's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    401
    This is what I know.

    Fort Collins Natural Area CLOSURES

    I think that was posted a few days ago.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: GnarBrahWyo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    1,905
    Thanks for update. Maybe that area will dry out enough to squeeze in a ride before more snow comes.

  4. #4
    Now with 10% more!
    Reputation: Da Dook's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    401
    I did a road ride on Sunday up by Horsetooth reservoir. It seemed a number of vehicles carrying mountain bikes were headed up to Bobcat Ridge. I imagine it would be a bit of a snowy ride but it seems to be open. Also, Devil's Backbone (a little further down in Loveland) is usually the first thing to dry out.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: GnarBrahWyo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    1,905
    I have videos of people riding down Bobcat with snow on the trail. I imagine the way down is pretty clear but the way up has more snow.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: inkpad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    1,537
    Quote Originally Posted by GnarBrahWyo View Post
    I have videos of people riding down Bobcat with snow on the trail. I imagine the way down is pretty clear but the way up has more snow.
    Bobcat / Ginny trails are as near perfect as they can get. There is zero mud & snow is so minimal it's almost not worth mentioning. I rode there Saturday & Sunday (up & down Ginny). Mint! Everywhere else in Ft Collins is sloppy & probably closed.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: GnarBrahWyo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    1,905
    Oh man. Got me jonesin' for a ride.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    575
    I might head down to Bobcat/Ginny this week sometimes (which means, Jon, let me know if you go and need a riding buddy!). I'm itching to get on the trails as well. I've never been there and have no idea how to find it, but I'm sure I'll figure it out

    So sick of road riding at this point... and WY wind and snow and cold and stupidness. I swear if one more person tells me to just rent a snowbike and "deal with it" I'm going to scream...

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: inkpad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    1,537
    Quote Originally Posted by GnarBrahWyo View Post
    Oh man. Got me jonesin' for a ride.
    Well, here, let me help you with that Taken last weekend
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Spring Canyon/PineRidge Fort Collins, dry at all?-ginny-half-way-down.jpg  

    Spring Canyon/PineRidge Fort Collins, dry at all?-ginny-half-way-up.jpg  

    Spring Canyon/PineRidge Fort Collins, dry at all?-top-ginny.jpg  

    Spring Canyon/PineRidge Fort Collins, dry at all?-img_4565.jpg  


  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: GnarBrahWyo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    1,905
    Quote Originally Posted by sooshee View Post
    I might head down to Bobcat/Ginny this week sometimes (which means, Jon, let me know if you go and need a riding buddy!). I'm itching to get on the trails as well. I've never been there and have no idea how to find it, but I'm sure I'll figure it out

    So sick of road riding at this point... and WY wind and snow and cold and stupidness. I swear if one more person tells me to just rent a snowbike and "deal with it" I'm going to scream...
    I'll let ya know if I do head that way. Bobcat is pretty fun. Starts off with a pretty intense climb on doubletrack and then turns into a fairly technical descent after you hug the countour of the mountain for a while. It's no Gowdy, but fun. This is a vid of the area some guy posted from last Jan.

    Jan 28, 2012 - Ginny Trail Down / Bobcat Ridge - YouTube

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation: GnarBrahWyo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    1,905
    Quote Originally Posted by inkpad View Post
    Well, here, let me help you with that Taken last weekend
    (mouth begins to salivate)

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation: inkpad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    1,537
    Quote Originally Posted by GnarBrahWyo View Post
    I'll let ya know if I do head that way. Bobcat is pretty fun. Starts off with a pretty intense climb on doubletrack and then turns into a fairly technical descent after you hug the countour of the mountain for a while. It's no Gowdy, but fun. This is a vid of the area some guy posted from last Jan.

    Jan 28, 2012 - Ginny Trail Down / Bobcat Ridge - YouTube
    IMO, it is way more fun to do Ginny as an out & back. Plus, I heard from my wife that the steep a$$ fireroad climb is looser than ever & not very fun. If Ginny proper is not enough distance, you can keep going on the singletrack from the top of Ginny to the lot, then turn around & shoot back.

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation: GnarBrahWyo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    1,905
    Quote Originally Posted by inkpad View Post
    IMO, it is way more fun to do Ginny as an out & back. Plus, I heard from my wife that the steep a$$ fireroad climb is looser than ever & not very fun. If Ginny proper is not enough distance, you can keep going on the singletrack from the top of Ginny to the lot, then turn around & shoot back.
    Yeah, I was there in early Decemeber with my buddies and that fire climb was brutal. Lots of baseball-sized loose rock that is just a b*tch to ride through, let a lone being that steep. Not to mention I am out of riding shape already...lol. An optional route would rule. I will have to look at the map of the area.

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation: GnarBrahWyo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    1,905
    How is Valley Trail loop? Dry or not? I took the Powerline trail last time, lol.

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Dr Wankel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    225
    The Valley Loop is good for a warmup before heading up Ginny, or for adding some mileage at the end...its mostly flat and there is really nothing tech to speak of. Inkpad's got it right though, the way to do it is to climb Ginny up and then drop down into Mahoney Park to where it meets Powerline and then back out the way you came.

    I haven't been up there in a while and Inkpad's pics have me itching for a ride up there...probably gonna hit this up over the weekend.

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation: inkpad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    1,537

    Blue Sky & Indian Summer Good To Go 1-22-2013

    Another option for ya, just took these photos, banged out a lunch ride. Blue Sky from the Canyon Grill lot to Indian Summer. Did Indian counter clockwise to the top then back. Conditions are epic!! Almost zero snow & mud, would say 99% dry.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Spring Canyon/PineRidge Fort Collins, dry at all?-img_4595.jpg  

    Spring Canyon/PineRidge Fort Collins, dry at all?-img_4596.jpg  

    Spring Canyon/PineRidge Fort Collins, dry at all?-img_4598.jpg  


  17. #17
    Recovering
    Reputation: jbogner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    1,483
    Looks great. I hit Coyote Ridge and Rimrock late afternoon yesterday, and conditions were good there, so I'll assume that the whole Backbone/Blue Sky/Coyote Ridge system is ready to ride. Also rode Bobcat Ridge on Sunday, and can confirm that conditions are fantastic... maybe the best conditions I've seen there in a year or more. Even the drop down to Mahoney Park with that north facing slope was fine.

    Rim Rock...

    Former New Yorker, now in Fort Collins
    http://www.nycmtb.com

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    575
    Quote Originally Posted by GnarBrahWyo View Post
    I'll let ya know if I do head that way. Bobcat is pretty fun. Starts off with a pretty intense climb on doubletrack and then turns into a fairly technical descent after you hug the countour of the mountain for a while. It's no Gowdy, but fun. This is a vid of the area some guy posted from last Jan.

    Jan 28, 2012 - Ginny Trail Down / Bobcat Ridge - YouTube
    I was planning on doing Ginny as an out and back to avoid the fire road. I might have been able to convince a friend from Laramie to go with me sometime this week. Maybe thursday or Friday.. depends... I'll have to ride the ol' heavy broke ass Giant unless I can borrow the Epic from jail (aka layaway), LOL. I should just ask to take their demo Epic... or the Fate... anything over the existing bike I own!

    Now that I see the photos of Blue Sky I'm so confused on where I should ride! All I know is I gotta, somehow!

  19. #19
    pain intolerant
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    682
    Anyone have updates on the Lory/HTMP park valley trails? I'm guessing there's intermittent mud, but maybe by this weekend? Seems like the new Sawmill could dry fast too, at least up to tree line.

    Inkpad's right about Bluesky. Only mud was at the entrance gate above the tunnel (entering from the road) and a few feet on both sides of the tunnel.

  20. #20
    Now with 10% more!
    Reputation: Da Dook's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    401
    Hmmm.... seems almost every trail except the one you asked about is good to go! It's news to me and good to hear.

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation: GnarBrahWyo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    1,905
    Heidi,
    If I do go, it'll probably be Saturday. That heavy Fate will just make you stronger! My Stumpy weighs 27, not heavy, but not exactly light either.
    FoCo ppl,
    The owner of my LBS mentioned one of his customers rode Middle London trail. Where is that trail at?

  22. #22
    slow
    Reputation: sgltrak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    4,279
    I've never heard of Middle London Trail.

    Maxwell Trail on the front side of the reservoir was pretty good today. Just some mud in the clearing below the upper road. Shoreline was 98% clear and dry, with a small amount of mud in the north facing areas.

    jradin, It seems like HTMP and Lory are usually the last to dry, and that mud is so sticky in the valley at Lory. It might be good by the weekend, but it is usually my last place to try. If you find good conditions, post up.

  23. #23
    pain intolerant
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    682
    Quote Originally Posted by sgltrak View Post
    jradin, It seems like HTMP and Lory are usually the last to dry, and that mud is so sticky in the valley at Lory. It might be good by the weekend, but it is usually my last place to try. If you find good conditions, post up.
    I agree but began to wonder since they wrote "come to Lory, conditions are great" on the Lory Facebook page a few days ago. Of course, in the past, the Lory rangers have declared "good conditions" what I consider "muddy mess". I'll try to give them a call today.

  24. #24
    slow
    Reputation: sgltrak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    4,279
    Quote Originally Posted by jradin View Post
    I agree but began to wonder since they wrote "come to Lory, conditions are great" on the Lory Facebook page a few days ago. Of course, in the past, the Lory rangers have declared "good conditions" what I consider "muddy mess". I'll try to give them a call today.
    Thanks in advance for any updates you find.

    From the Denver Front Range Trail Conditions Thread yesterday evening:

    "Blue Sky and Indian Summer are near perfect! The trail from Blue Sky parking lot to the tunnel is still a bit wet but not bad. Horsetooth and Lory are still a mess."

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    575
    Quote Originally Posted by GnarBrahWyo View Post
    Heidi,
    If I do go, it'll probably be Saturday. That heavy Fate will just make you stronger! My Stumpy weighs 27, not heavy, but not exactly light either.
    FoCo ppl,
    The owner of my LBS mentioned one of his customers rode Middle London trail. Where is that trail at?
    I think you meant my Giant at 34 pounds... A Fate weighs like 22 pounds, LOL. Really I'm just going to plead to borrow my Epic for a few days and make another huge payment. If that doesn't work I'll steal one of their demo bikes. :P You know I'm wimpy, I don't want to climb with my heavy monster...

    At this point, I think Thursday, Friday, and Saturday I am going to ride down there. I don't care about gas money and miles on my car at this point, I'm just beyond sick of pavement! So I might be in for Saturday, I just can't make a very late day out of it as I have to head back up to Douglas for work that night.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •