Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 50 of 103
  1. #1
    Heads up Flyboy!!
    Reputation: mountaingoatepics's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,158

    The Spring Buffalo Creek Spiderweb Classic

    Tomorrow I'll be doing my 1st big mileage ride of the year. A few inquired and are welcome to join but lets make it fun and make it an individual time trial. That means its a drop ride, you drop me I'm happy, I drop you, you'd better be happy too.

    Start 6am at the 543 parking lot. This is an honor system and reminisant of the east coast races of old that are just for braggin rights.

    The Revised Route to include Hello Kitty:

    Park at 543
    Hello Kitty
    Buffalo Burn
    CT East
    Chair Rocks
    Buffalo Burn
    CT West
    Buffalo Burn
    CT West
    Down Shinglemill
    543
    Up Morrison Creek
    CT West
    Down Tramway
    543 East
    up Baldy
    Down Upper and Lower Gashouse
    543 West
    Up Tramway
    CT West
    Green Mtn
    CT West
    Rollins Creek West
    LOST CREEK Wilderness
    Rollins Creek East
    CT East
    Red Skin
    Up Gashouse
    Miller Gulch
    Homestead
    Charlie's Cutoff
    Homestead
    Down Strawberry Jack
    Up Buck Gulch
    Skipper
    Up Homestead
    Down Sandy Wash
    543
    Car
    Last edited by mountaingoatepics; 06-26-2014 at 04:04 PM.

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    403
    That's some ride!

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    944
    Too bad this isn't Sunday, when I could ride

  4. #4
    bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Reputation: SkaredShtles's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    11,739
    Quote Originally Posted by Rontele
    Too bad this isn't Sunday, when I could ride
    That ride would kill you, yah pansy.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    944
    Yeah. Climbing up Gashouse would kill me just out of principle.

  6. #6
    bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Reputation: SkaredShtles's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    11,739
    Quote Originally Posted by Rontele
    Yeah. Climbing up Gashouse would kill me just out of principle.
    Amen. And the worst part of that climb is just getting to the trailhead.

  7. #7
    not actually bad :)
    Reputation: bad_andy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    1,753
    Quote Originally Posted by mountaingoatepics
    Start 6am


    Like I said - IF I could make this, I'm pretty sure I could get through the 1st 2 legs:
    "Park at 543
    Lower Sandy"
    Other than that - no guarantees.
    Luckily I am booked tomorrow and won't be able make it!
    Old Codger

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: BlueMountain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    891
    Are the trails dry there? Sounds like a massive suffer-fest, but just about survive-able if dry.

  9. #9
    jeny jo
    Reputation: jenamin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    288
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueMountain
    Sounds like a massive suffer-fest, but just about survive-able if dry.
    mtngoat has been PRACTICING for this all winter long

    so .. he's been out there, getting all 'in-tune' with the buff, and has invited you-all out to beat the pp out of you

    in fact: "you drop me I'm happy, I drop you, you'd better be happy too" ... means he's challenging any ONE and ALL to dare to beat him....

    i have a feeling he's had this one brewing in his boy-brain all winter

    just sayin'....

    jj

    ps RONTELE: it's an ITT!!! go out on sunday, and nail it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: cmoney's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    130
    That sounds like a kick in the pants. That would take me all weekend.

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation: av_boy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    186
    That means its a drop ride, you drop me I'm happy, I drop you, you'd better be happy too.
    Hmm, if I go, it wont be that I can drop anyone... my only hope would be that I can outlast them Perhaps the goal shouldn't be time trial, but who can make it the furthest before quitting!

    CT West
    LOST CREEK Wilderness
    CT East
    Guessing this does not mean via 663-Rolling Creek ?

    Is there anywhere to get drinkable water on that route?

  12. #12
    t.i.t.s.ceo/FR amoeba rep
    Reputation: PBR me!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    4,764
    No rolling creek goes sw to the wilderness. Ct goes to the boundry as well. You can filter water from the creek next to ct just across the road.

    I was wondering where the aid stations were going to be? My copy didn't show any!
    I'm a cowboy on a steel horse i ride!

    the blog

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation: BlueMountain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    891
    I am becoming aware of his devious nature.

    Quote Originally Posted by jenamin
    mtngoat has been PRACTICING for this all winter long

    so .. he's been out there, getting all 'in-tune' with the buff, and has invited you-all out to beat the pp out of you

    in fact: "you drop me I'm happy, I drop you, you'd better be happy too" ... means he's challenging any ONE and ALL to dare to beat him....

    i have a feeling he's had this one brewing in his boy-brain all winter

    just sayin'....

    jj

    ps RONTELE: it's an ITT!!! go out on sunday, and nail it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

  14. #14
    jeny jo
    Reputation: jenamin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    288
    Quote Originally Posted by PBR me!
    I was wondering where the aid stations were going to be? My copy didn't show any!
    a.) my guess is that YOU ARRREE your own Aid Station;-)

    b.) but that said, mge should likely spell out if "outside help" is allowed -- are people allowed to pick up food/water/kisses from outside individuals waiting out on the route/course? if one does, does that DQ them, if others do not ;-)



    jj

  15. #15
    Light freak
    Reputation: scar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    2,763
    originally posted by mountaingoatepics
    I drop you, you'd better be happy too.
    You already dropped me (just reading the planned route). And yes I AM HAPPY!!!!



    ***

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation: gotdirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    3,314
    c'mon jj... why don't you & ed go for a "little" ride tomorrow at the same time and just happen to follow his route.

    you can have a beer waiting for jeremy when he arrives.
    -
    .And following our will and wind . . .
    . . .We'll ride the spiral to the end
    and may just go where no one's been.

  17. #17
    jeny jo
    Reputation: jenamin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    288
    Quote Originally Posted by gotdirt
    c'mon jj... why don't you & ed go for a "little" ride tomorrow at the same time and just happen to follow his route.

    you can have a beer waiting for jeremy when he arrives.
    LOL... funy stuff dirtman....

    nah. i got bigger snipes to hunt the following weekend. no need for me to blow myself to smithereensss this weekend.

    we're headed out of town, too (not fruita) ... otherwise i'd be tempted to go out and HECKLE a few buff boys.

    ;-)

    jj

  18. #18
    Heads up Flyboy!!
    Reputation: mountaingoatepics's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,158
    On support..Meh...as long as you have ridden the whole route on your own two wheels and pedal power I don't care if you get water from a stream, your food from a dead animal carcass or if you get them from the backseat of your grandma's Pinto.

    I'm figuring 8-10 hours if all goes well and that may be optimistic for me.

    Come on JJ, you could complete this route in under 4 hours

  19. #19
    Chronic 1st-timer
    Reputation: lubes17319's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    2,358
    Sounds good, but I ain't gonna make the 6am start.
    Might be ready for it by.......August, maybe.
    Trailwrecker at large

  20. #20
    jeny jo
    Reputation: jenamin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    288
    Quote Originally Posted by mountaingoatepics
    On support..Meh...as long as you have ridden the whole route on your own two wheels and pedal power I don't care if you get water from a stream, your food from a dead animal carcass or if you get them from the backseat of your grandma's Pinto.

    I'm figuring 8-10 hours if all goes well and that may be optimistic for me.

    Come on JJ, you could complete this route in under 4 hours
    it's good you put out the ground rules in challenging your friends to a race ;-) they'll appreciate it, i'm sure of it.

    nope. like i said: bigger badder better next weekend... and no way -- you have too many overlaps to make it a 4 hour tour ... and the weather, it will likely get rough. but you knew that, didn't you

    4 hours.. don't be silly. that's just ridiculous.

    jj

  21. #21
    Heads up Flyboy!!
    Reputation: mountaingoatepics's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,158
    Quote Originally Posted by jenamin

    4 hours.. don't be silly. that's just ridiculous.

    jj
    It was, I'm sorry...I was just tryin to goad you into kicking my a$$ this weekend. I'm thinking my 8-10 hour goal may be ridiculous buts it good to have goals and keep it optimistic.

  22. #22
    jeny jo
    Reputation: jenamin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    288
    Quote Originally Posted by mountaingoatepics
    It was, I'm sorry...I was just tryin to goad you into kicking my a$$ this weekend. I'm thinking my 8-10 hour goal may be ridiculous buts it good to have goals and keep it optimistic.
    you know -- ed put together a nice web-route out there that doesn't double-back so many times on so many of the trails... and he hits all of the trails in buff creek +. with your double upping and downing and outting ... you're bumpin' the time and mileage significantly.

    i'm trying to guess on times looking through your route list .... LMAO ... can't wait to see what happens.

    i have my bets.... but i'll keep them to myself.

    so have you found any of your friends yet ... to race you?

    optimism is always a good thing.

    jj

  23. #23
    bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Reputation: SkaredShtles's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    11,739
    I finally took a look at the map and your route really doesn't look worthy of my time.


  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation: BlueMountain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    891
    If I wanna realitically do this by tomorrow afternoon, I'm heading out there now. Later...

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    540
    I'm gonna guess about 12k vert, 80 miles? I may see you out there, but my start time isn't until kids nap at 2, and it will be more of a mini web classic. I don't want to peak too early anyway before spike fest.

  26. #26
    Your bike is incorrigible
    Reputation: Guyechka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    3,140
    I'm confused. By lower sandy do you mean that half mile (if even) section that's parallel to 543?

  27. #27
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    540
    I'm confused. By lower sandy do you mean that half mile (if even) section that's parallel to 543?
    That's what we've always called that because it's easer to say than "that section of sandy that parallels 543". The way the goat is thinking though, it might mean from the reroute down, he's on a mission.

  28. #28
    Heads up Flyboy!!
    Reputation: mountaingoatepics's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,158
    Quote Originally Posted by jenamin
    you know -- ed put together a nice web-route out there that doesn't double-back so many times on so many of the trails... and he hits all of the trails in buff creek +. with your double upping and downing and outting ... you're bumpin' the time and mileage significantly.
    jj
    Well Heck, send it to me by Pm if needed. I wanted every trail in BC and this was the way to do it that I saw. Biggest double back will be out and back to Chair Rocks and the out and back to Lost Creek. I didn't want to lose the descent down lower Gashouse and I wanted Tramway, just cause its there. Only thing being lost is the bit of the CT in the middle of the Green Mtn loop.

  29. #29
    Heads up Flyboy!!
    Reputation: mountaingoatepics's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,158
    Quote Originally Posted by mateomtb
    That's what we've always called that because it's easer to say than "that section of sandy that parallels 543".
    you got it

  30. #30
    Heads up Flyboy!!
    Reputation: mountaingoatepics's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,158
    Quote Originally Posted by SkaredShtles
    I finally took a look at the map and your route really doesn't look worthy of my time.

    See...there is this race going on back home tomorrow...I'm just doing this to honor its sadistic nature

  31. #31
    bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Reputation: SkaredShtles's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    11,739
    Quote Originally Posted by mountaingoatepics
    Well Heck, send it to me by Pm if needed. I wanted every trail in BC and this was the way to do it that I saw. Biggest double back will be out and back to Chair Rocks
    Why are you stopping at Chair Rocks? You should go all the way to the Platte on the CT.

  32. #32
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    944
    Park at the Platte where the CT crosses the river > ride Foxton Road back to 543 > Up Shinglemill > Morrison > 543 > Gashouse > Charlie's > Sandy > 543 > Wellington Lake Road> CT East all the way back down to the Platte (includes the entire length of Section 2of the CT)

  33. #33
    bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Reputation: SkaredShtles's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    11,739
    Quote Originally Posted by Rontele
    Park at the Platte where the CT crosses the river > ride Foxton Road back to 543 > Up Shinglemill > Morrison > 543 > Gashouse > Charlie's > Sandy > 543 > Wellington Lake Road> CT East all the way back down to the Platte (includes the entire length of Section 2of the CT)
    I like the way you think... all DH back to the car.

  34. #34
    bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Reputation: SkaredShtles's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    11,739
    Have you checked with the ranger on the conditions of the CT between 550 and Green Mt? I'd imagine there may be some not-so-good stuff in there yet...

  35. #35
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    944
    Quote Originally Posted by SkaredShtles
    I like the way you think... all DH back to the car.
    Good rides end with downhills. Period.

  36. #36
    Heads up Flyboy!!
    Reputation: mountaingoatepics's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,158
    Quote Originally Posted by SkaredShtles
    Have you checked with the ranger on the conditions of the CT between 550 and Green Mt? I'd imagine there may be some not-so-good stuff in there yet...
    Rode it Sunday night with the ice mix falling on me. Some mud, nothing bad...may be a bit worse after Wednesday but I'll just hike through it if needed.

  37. #37
    jeny jo
    Reputation: jenamin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    288
    Quote Originally Posted by mountaingoatepics
    Well Heck, send it to me by Pm if needed. I wanted every trail in BC and this was the way to do it that I saw. Biggest double back will be out and back to Chair Rocks and the out and back to Lost Creek. I didn't want to lose the descent down lower Gashouse and I wanted Tramway, just cause its there. Only thing being lost is the bit of the CT in the middle of the Green Mtn loop.
    heck!! i like your route! let me see if i can dig up ed's route ... but don't change yours! it's YOURS!!!

    the cool thing is, there are endless ways to rock the buff creek trails, right!?!!! RIGHT! we all have out secret convoluted buff creek/ct dream routes ;-) i'll share my idea at a later date ;-)

    i like your route, and i can't wait to see what it takes you to do this! that'll be one sweet write-ride-up ;-)

    jj

  38. #38
    Heads up Flyboy!!
    Reputation: mountaingoatepics's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,158
    Quote Originally Posted by Rontele
    Good rides end with downhills. Period.
    Pfft...to much road in your version...My route...98% singletrack..ends in a downhill and all the Buff Creek Trails...Yours 50% singletrack..still a great ride but sadism is the word for tomorrow.

  39. #39
    bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Reputation: SkaredShtles's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    11,739
    Quote Originally Posted by mountaingoatepics
    Pfft...to much road in your version...My route...98% singletrack..ends in a downhill and all the Buff Creek Trails...Yours 50% singletrack..still a great ride but sadism is the word for tomorrow.
    Yeah - but yours isn't all the Buff Creek trail if you don't do the CT down to the Platte.

  40. #40
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    944
    Quote Originally Posted by mountaingoatepics
    Pfft...to much road in your version...My route...98% singletrack..ends in a downhill and all the Buff Creek Trails...Yours 50% singletrack..still a great ride but sadism is the word for tomorrow.
    Agreed. There is quite a bit of road in my route, but little to no crossover (except 543). I'll be doing it as part of training for the Laramie Enduro (given the amount of road and two-track on that course).

  41. #41
    Chronic 1st-timer
    Reputation: lubes17319's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    2,358
    Quote Originally Posted by SkaredShtles
    I like the way you think... all DH back to the car.
    H3ll, I'm still searching for the trail that's all downhill from & to the car.

    And I ain't talking about spike's definition of downhill.
    Trailwrecker at large

  42. #42
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    944
    Quote Originally Posted by lubes17319
    H3ll, I'm still searching for the trail that's all downhill from & to the car.

    And I ain't talk about spike's definition of downhill.
    Apex :fmicon:

  43. #43
    not actually bad :)
    Reputation: bad_andy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    1,753
    My predition?*
    He's not gonna make it anyway, so let's not get all excited here.


    * - if nothing else, this should just give him the extra motivation when ready to give in so that he can say "told ya so!"
    Old Codger

  44. #44
    jeny jo
    Reputation: jenamin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    288
    Quote Originally Posted by lubes17319
    And I ain't talking about spike's definition of downhill.

    ohhhh THAT is funnnnyyyyyy.....



    jj

  45. #45
    mtbr member
    Reputation: steadyflow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    1,097
    Here is one I did last fall....

    http://frontrangemtb.blogspot.com/20...big-route.html

    Strawberry>Charlies>Sandy>543>Single Mill>CT (east)>Burn>CT (west)>Redskin>Gashouse>550>CT (east)>Redskin>Gashouse>Baldy>Homestead>Skipper>Bu ck Gulch...end.

  46. #46
    Heads up Flyboy!!
    Reputation: mountaingoatepics's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,158
    Yo, JJ just checked Ed's route and doesn't really look that different then mine except he uses a bit more fireroad and skips the two out and backs on the CT between Chair Rocks and Lost Creek Wilderness.

    Tomorrow will hurt there will be no doubt!

  47. #47
    Your bike is incorrigible
    Reputation: Guyechka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    3,140
    Quote Originally Posted by mateomtb
    That's what we've always called that because it's easer to say than "that section of sandy that parallels 543". The way the goat is thinking though, it might mean from the reroute down, he's on a mission.
    If he means tsstp543, then I can possibly manage that, maybe. The rest of it is just too confusing to even try.

  48. #48
    t.i.t.s.ceo/FR amoeba rep
    Reputation: PBR me!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    4,764

    mGe

    Any real man would do this in the dark by way of an Amoeba! I guess that is not really in the dark now is it......... Well i have not ridden since up there last thursday and am hoping my cold that is hangin on won't drag me down!

    I'm not going for the Whole Enchilada my ride is going to be more of a taquito!

    See you out there somewhere!

    Dont forget to enjoy the ride!

    My prediction of how you'll look by the time you get back from the wilderness boundry:
    bc bob 002.JPG

    I'm a cowboy on a steel horse i ride!

    the blog

  49. #49
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    286
    The trails may not be in too bad of condition; only a couple hundredths inch of precipitation over the past few days:

    Buffalo Creek weather station:

    http://www.wunderground.com/weathers...y=30&year=2010

  50. #50
    mtbr member
    Reputation: steadyflow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    1,097
    Up Buck Gulch that late in the ride....that just doesn't sound fun. Wasn't going to be able to do this tomorrow, but can now...6:00 AM start is rough as well. Maybe I will make it.....will see what happens, not sure I could finish this right now. Either way good luck.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •