mtbr member
    Aug 2011

Spring Break riding trip - recommendations sought

So I am planning a Spring Break, late March, riding trip and looking for recommendations. I have done the Moab and Fruita riding so I am looking for something different. With the way the current snow conditions are it certainly seems like spring break time will be a good time to start riding.

Right now I am super interested in Salida riding if it is OK to ride there in the late spring. Any recommendations on where to ride there? Camping OK/where?

Any other locations in CO that you think would be good to head out to in late March?

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    You will be disappointed if you head out to Salida in March and expect good riding. To be perfectly honest... You will probably be disappointed any where you go in Colorado in March. I hate to say it but your best bet is Fruita and Moab.

Quote Originally Posted by supermoo View Post
    So I am planning a Spring Break, late March, riding trip and looking for recommendations. I have done the Moab and Fruita riding so I am looking for something different. With the way the current snow conditions are it certainly seems like spring break time will be a good time to start riding.

Right now I am super interested in Salida riding if it is OK to ride there in the late spring. Any recommendations on where to ride there? Camping OK/where?

Any other locations in CO that you think would be good to head out to in late March?

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    March is just too iffy here. Go back to Moab again. And while you're in Utah, do some hiking in the Needles section of Canyonlands. You can thank me later.
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

Sun Devils
    Jan 2008
    You should head down to the Phoenix area in March. You've got all the Phoenix riding plus Sedona and Tucson a short drive North or South. You won't be disappointed! South Mountain in Phoenix could keep you busy for days add to that the White Tanks, McDowells, Usery Mountain, and much more I'm sure I'm missing. Early March is usually 70-85 degrees in Phoenix, about 10-15 degrees cooler in Sedona.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    St George would be where I would go that time of year..

without question March is the most bi-polar month in Colorado.. I do believe it is the snowiest month of the year..

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Knowing that March is an iffy month I would just watch to see if the snow picks up again (given the crap snow year this year), and just keep an eye out for alternatives to Frutia/Moab.

If the snow is still going at the end of the March, then I would just stay skiing or head South.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Agreed Fruita, grand junction, moab

Except when I'm driving
    Mar 2012
    Late spring in CO is May/June. I agree, head to the desert.
    I'm bored and at work or else I would be riding