mtbr member

Spot Longboard 1x9? Opinions?

Couple locally on craigslist. Was wondering if they're decent bikes for the coin.

Each of the two local ones have a Manitou Minute fork... opinions?

Does the name Longboard have anything to do with the frame? Is it a little longer than other comparable bikes?

I'm still not sold on 29" wheels but am interested in looking into these bikes.

Thanks -Eric

I think I can.

Have ridden the longboard.

So in a perfect world and I could afford it I would consider the longboard as one of my top picks.

How I rate 29er bikes

1. Custom steel frame
    2. Carbon 9er
    3. Factory Steel
    4. New Trek 9er
    5. Niner

I am not sold on full suspension 9er, needs to be a hard tail, IMHO.

My next bike will be something for longer rides, hopefully later in the year I can get a rigid 9er.

Good luck

Dam,
    Bikes are FUN

mtbr member
    Hey thanks Joe... I assume the Longboard is a factory steel frame? The two local ones on c'list seem reasonably priced (around a grand), but then I don't know what these went for new (I think both are 2009). I haven't yet warmed up to 29" wheels, but maybe this would be a worthwhile bike to give it a chance.

formerly shabadu
    Nov 2006
    The Longboard is not custom steel. Spot did a run of Taiwan production steel frames in addition to their CO Handbuilt frames. They are great riding bikes. Spot nailed the geometry and the steel is smooth. The only hitch can be the 1x9 setup needs a chainguide of some sort. That'll cost you about $50 for a nice MRP.

mtbr member
    Thanks flowtron... I'm assuming at this pricepoint these have to be the Taiwan frames. And yeah, I figured it would need some sort of guide (if it's not already on there). I have a 1x8 setup on my GT Avalanche, and just have a "chain watcher" and Truvativ Stylo w/bashguard and it works ok. Thanks again... -E

Yappy little dog!
    Quote Originally Posted by Colo Springs E View Post
    Couple locally on craigslist. Was wondering if they're decent bikes for the coin.

Each of the two local ones have a Manitou Minute fork... opinions?

Does the name Longboard have anything to do with the frame? Is it a little longer than other comparable bikes?

I'm still not sold on 29" wheels but am interested in looking into these bikes.

Thanks -Eric
    I have two spots. My Taiwan LB is a belt drive SS, the other is a custom steel frame (bought used) 1x10. Both are awesome bikes. In fact, I like the foreign steel SS just a little more. It has the manitou, which I pretty much ride locked out anyway. For the $$$, the import is a great value when compared to others. However, I would be more concerned about the wheelset. If I recall, my import came with low end WTB speeddisc or something like that. I destroyed them on the first ride. Now it has hopes with ZTR's. Much better.

mtbr member
    I think the one ad (the small one) did mention the WTB wheelset if I recall correctly. Thanks for the tip!

Is the geometry of this bike significantly different than other 9er setups? Does the term 'longboard' have anything to do with the frame, ie is the frame a little longer? I looked at the chainstay measurements, and it seemed it might be a little longer than some similar sized mountain bikes by other manufacturers.

Yappy little dog!
    Quote Originally Posted by Colo Springs E View Post
    I think the one ad (the small one) did mention the WTB wheelset if I recall correctly. Thanks for the tip!

Is the geometry of this bike significantly different than other 9er setups? Does the term 'longboard' have anything to do with the frame, ie is the frame a little longer? I looked at the chainstay measurements, and it seemed it might be a little longer than some similar sized mountain bikes by other manufacturers.
    I had a Niner One-Niner back in the day. The spot doesn't seem any longer to me. I did have to play with the bar rise and stem length a little.

mtbr member
    I can't speak directly to the longboard, but I have a Co hand-welded Spot. When I bought it I researched the longboard and heard (directly from Spot) that it had the exact same geometry as the bike I bought. Just made in Taiwan and with a different (heavier) tubeset.

That being said, I love this bike! As expected its an awesome climber. Surprisingly, this bike rails on the downhill. I would agree that Spot has the geometry dialed in.

Edit: The longboard is just the name. The effective top tube is actually a little shorter than the niner MCR. (Just barely shorter).
    "Serves you right to suffer." -The Wife (after being 2 hours late)

mtbr member
    Thanks for all the info guys!