Results 1 to 20 of 20
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    2,844

    'Spandex causes people to lose sense of humor'

    http://www.dailycamera.com/news/2008...e-on-cyclists/


    A horse trailer owned by Alderden was “scratched and gouged” over the weekend when he left it parked at the Bobcat Ridge trailhead. Whether any riders were connected to the vandalism of the Sheriff’s Office logo on the trailer, Alderden isn’t sure.

    “I hope that wasn’t the case, but you never know.”


    I liked this for some reason?
    Gone are the days we stopped to decide,
    Where we should go,
    We just ride...

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    409
    Hopefully Larimer County cyclist will remember his stance next election, although I do not remember an alternative last time at the polls.
    11 Epic Expert 29er
    Blacksheep SS

  3. #3
    Rolling
    Reputation: lidarman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    11,119
    Alderden sounds like an interesting character. From all the news I have read on this, he very assumptive. Sad when you have someone in charge of law enforcement having that character trait.

    When this came up, Alderton's first comment on what the deputy said was he didn't deny that statement and said the deputy could have used more tact.

    Later in another interview, he said that wasn't exactly what the deputy said but it was close.

    And now he flat out denies what the deputy said, saying the cyclists distorted it.

    I can certainly believe the cyclists might have embellished but why does the Sheriff keep changing his story? Especially after admitting his deputies are acting with poor rapport. No wonder the cyclists copped an attitude.

    I like this one

    Alderden said he generally tries to write with a humorous slant, which some people take too seriously.
    "Here is a ticket Mr cyclist for riding two abreast,... ha ha ha, it's funny huh? Don't be so serious."

  4. #4
    btx
    btx is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    138
    OK, but he isn't doing anything wrong. People riding two abreast are a danger to themselves and other traffic. The law is a bit fuzzy therefore I see nothing wrong in how he is choosing to enforce it. If you disagree with his interpretation, that's what the courts are for...

    Now, whether or not he is prioritizing his resources as best he could is another issue.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    409
    I agree that the law is ambiguous.

    Am I impeding traffic by riding two abreast, when a vehicle travelling behind me has full access (another lane travelling in the same direction or dotted yellow in opp direction lane) to pass? I say NO.
    His job is not to interpret the law. If he is unclear maybe he needs to seek clarification from the judicial branch of local government.

    What I find most disturbing is his cavalier attitude toward a specific group of people. His comments are incendiary and can only cause more conflict between motorist and cyclist. The tone of his comments and post have given tacit approval to motorist to target cyclist, knowing they have the "law" on their side. The fact is, motorist are equally responsible for ignorance of the law in this case.

  6. #6
    WWJR
    Reputation: IH8MUD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    460

    motorcycles problems too

    Why wasnt the problem of all the "crotch-rocket-motorcycle-asshats" who travel down that same area addressed as well?
    Driving back from Lyons, motorcycle fawkers ride yur bumper till opposing traffic is clear, then hammer past you nearly missing oncomming traffic AND bikers! This pisses me off WAY more than a few cyclers riding 2-3 deep.

  7. #7
    ..ouch
    Reputation: thump's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    1,960
    'Spandex causes people to lose sense of humor'
    I disagree.. I find spandex causes quite a bit of humor.

  8. #8
    btx
    btx is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    138
    Quote Originally Posted by santa_cruzer
    I agree that the law is ambiguous.

    Am I impeding traffic by riding two abreast, when a vehicle travelling behind me has full access (another lane travelling in the same direction or dotted yellow in opp direction lane) to pass? I say NO.
    His job is not to interpret the law.
    Cops interpret the law everyday...they have to. Situations on roads change. You might not be blocking traffic now, but will that be true in ten minutes? It is coming from behind you, you may not be able to adjust. Just ride single file. It's not hard...if you get out of the draft, you'll get a better workout too.

    I will agree, however, the blaming this problem on where somebody lives is silly and should stop.

  9. #9
    tiny rider
    Reputation: cartographer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    606
    I also disagree. I have no sense of humor, but when I wear spandex I make all kinds of people laugh.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    1,153
    I've seen people wearing spandex, is it comfortable or is it just a way to show off your package (if you have one)?

  11. #11
    skillz to pay billz
    Reputation: nOOby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    3,556
    I'm not comfortable with it, I need more layers of protection against the rocks and gravel

  12. #12
    hehe ...you said "member"
    Reputation: jake7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    1,112
    Quote Originally Posted by cartographer
    I also disagree. I have no sense of humor, but when I wear spandex I make all kinds of people laugh.
    LOL!!!

  13. #13
    !Vamos, flaco!
    Reputation: Pabs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    1,358
    Quote Originally Posted by brokefork
    I've seen people wearing spandex, is it comfortable or is it just a way to show off your package (if you have one)?
    It's comfortable and functional. It has essentially no wind drag, it has padding for long (or short) rides, it transfers heat and sweat away from you effectively, and the close fit keeps you cloths from ever interfereing with your machine. Also, you package isn't shown at all when your on the bike, so you can use your discetion with the wimminz.
    "Fact is only what you believe; fact and fiction work as a team." Jack Johnson

  14. #14
    !Vamos, flaco!
    Reputation: Pabs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    1,358
    Last fall, Alderden wrote in his column that Fort Collins is “becoming more like the imbecilic borough of Boulder than many would like to admit.”

    Alderden said he generally tries to write with a humorous slant, which some people take too seriously.

    “It must be the Spandex that causes people to lose their sense of humor,” Alderden said.

    http://www.dailycamera.com/news/2008...e-on-cyclists/

    He obviously hasn't visited Fort Collins in the past 10 years if he thinks roadies and other cyclists on the roads of Larimer County are mainly from Boulder.

    Funny that he blames his failed humor on others. Sad.
    "Fact is only what you believe; fact and fiction work as a team." Jack Johnson

  15. #15
    !Vamos, flaco!
    Reputation: Pabs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    1,358
    Quote Originally Posted by btx
    Just ride single file. It's not hard...if you get out of the draft, you'll get a better workout too.
    You don't necessarily get a better workout riding in a paceline. You get a different workout with shorter, more intense efforts with rests.

    We shouldn't have to always ride single file if the situation permits riding side by side allows it, such as deserted country roads or roads with large shoulders. Moreover, this is what the law permits.
    "Fact is only what you believe; fact and fiction work as a team." Jack Johnson

  16. #16
    Giggitty giggitty!!
    Reputation: dhpimp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    333
    Quote Originally Posted by nOOby
    I'm not comfortable with it, I need more layers of protection against the rocks and gravel
    That's why your suppose to wear baggies over top of the spandex... that and to cover your junk!

  17. #17
    skillz to pay billz
    Reputation: nOOby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    3,556
    I'm right there with you

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation: crakkillsdaily's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    32
    people that wear spandex like to smoke the pole on a daily basis
    "touchyoself"

  19. #19
    Giggitty giggitty!!
    Reputation: dhpimp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    333
    Quote Originally Posted by crakkillsdaily
    people that wear spandex like to smoke the pole on a daily basis
    troll... go back to RideMonkey or Pinkbike

  20. #20
    MTB B'dos
    Reputation: LyNx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    17,840
    I'd have to say that this is a much bigger problem thatn cyclists riding side by side from what I've experienced both here in my own island and overseas in Canada,
    the US and England.

    Hopefully whenever it comes time to re-elect a sheriff he won't get the nod. His comment towards "spandex" only goes to show his ignorance and lack of any athletics activity besides opening the cooler or fridge to reach for a beer.
    Quote Originally Posted by hullendersauce
    Why wasnt the problem of all the "crotch-rocket-motorcycle-asshats" who travel down that same area addressed as well?
    Driving back from Lyons, motorcycle fawkers ride yur bumper till opposing traffic is clear, then hammer past you nearly missing oncomming traffic AND bikers! This pisses me off WAY more than a few cyclers riding 2-3 deep.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •