Big Boned

Spam Etiquette Question

Okay, so I have this bike I want to sell. It's a bike that I think, perhaps, some on this forum (Front Range) might be interested in. Maybe, maybe not.

I'd like to post it to Craig's List, because I would prefer to sell it locally and save myself the hassle of packing and shipping it. I was thinking about a MTBR classified, but I am hesitant to use that channel because 1) it's not exactly a mountain bike, 2) I have read that it's not very effective, and 3) I've seen some negative feedback about those ads regarding scam offers that I'd prefer not to sift through and deal with. However, I'd still like to call it to the attention of the locals on this forum. (Yes, I am aware that Craig's List is a magnet for scammers, too, but I have heard about more scams in relation to the MTBR classifieds.)

So, my etiquette question is -- if I post it to Craig's List, is it a violation of spam etiquette to post a thread calling it out? Do I have to pop the $2 and take my chances with that MTBR classified in order to mention the sale on this forum without breaching etiquette?

Anyone? Just trying to be a nice guy. Not that I care.
    Never rub another man's rhubarb.

contains quinine
    I suggest spending $2 and buy the ad.

I just sold a cross bike here, after posting an ad and a thread here. Thinking about doing it again for an *ahem* Yak rack to fit a Subaru..... It was painless, very little spam/scammers, and I more than one person in line to check it out. I'd rather deal with people with some sort of reputation here than some anonymous person from Craigslist.
    Take the long cut, we'll get there eventually.

Go hard or go home
    I sold a Surly SS through the forum earlier in the year...painless, and you are supporting the forum - always a good thing.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Spam if you cross post a Craigslist ad.

What kind of bike is it?

Big Boned
    Well, with the provision that I intend now to pay my $2 and take the ride on the MTBR classified carousel, it's an über-trendy Bianchi Pista fixed-gear track bike from 2004, only it's missing the front wheel because I lost it off a fork mount in a rack. So, 2/3 of a Bianchi Pista, chrome frame. I bought it because I used to live in Chicago and the team I raced on was big into track racing, and there's a velodrome there so I was thinking of getting into track racing. I also bought an incredibly ghey skinsuit that never got worn. We moved here before the track season really started that year, so I never raced it. I've used it on my rollers a few times and now I just don't need it anymore.

Yeah, another chapter in the book I'm writing about my life entitled, "What the hell was I thinking?"

Bad Andy
    yea - right "what was i thinking"
    Bet you're wearing it right now, and Sara is wondering what she was thinking when she married you?@?@
    HA

Big Boned
    Quote Originally Posted by andychrysler
    yea - right "what was i thinking"
    Bet you're wearing it right now, and Sara is wondering what she was thinking when she married you?@?@
    HA
    Yeah, and add to that -- I don't think she expected to have a 3-car garage that's only got enough room for one car because there's... Oh, about 10 bikes and a small bike shop in there...

I have a running bet with some friends that the loser has to wear the skin suit in a 24-hour solo race.

Big Boned
    BTW Andy, I think we're doing Moab for Thanksgiving after all. I need to get out of dodge for a few days.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by Manmountain Dense
    I also bought an incredibly ghey skinsuit that never got worn.

Bad Andy
    Quote Originally Posted by Manmountain Dense
    I think we're doing Moab for Thanksgiving after all
    COOL!
    Be sure to get on that other thread and let screamingbunny know and get signed up for the potluck!!

Big Boned
    Quote Originally Posted by SkaredShtles

Oh, you want pictures? I'll post pictures. Not on-model, though. I'm not certain I could get it zipped up at this point.

Wanna buy it? The tags are still on it, I swear! The pride of XXX-Athletico racing!

Inflexable...
    My .02...

Personally I don't have a problem with regular posters posting up stuff for sale. I think MTBR has a problem with it in that they want to make $ off sales and maybe it is necessary for them to do so. We all have clever ways of addng items for sale in our signature without officially creating an ad. I don't think most people really care but MTBR might. I really like easily seeing what is for sale from the people who post on here because they are usually items I am interested in anyway.

What I think most of us agree on is we don't want to accept the random new poster who blatently posts just to sell something. If you have ever spent any time in the newsgroups you quickly realize that some very good groups are 99% SPAM and it takes forever to find the information you are really looking for. Quickly you give up and everyone stops posting the content the newsgroup is designed for. If we allow SPAMMERS to start posting here the same thing will happen. We will all get tired of filtering through SPAM to read important posts on lycra wearing DH shuttling wanabes because it won't be worth it. Whenever a SPAMMER post we should all just ignore the posts and move on. Most SPAMMERS never check back on their post anyways.

Just my opinion...
    Tact is for people not witty enough to be sarcastic...

Moderator Moderator
    You can't post an ad link from craigslist and post the link here. I have to delete per forum rules/guidelines.

You CAN take out a $2 ad and link it here if you want to sell local. Hope that helps!

Manufacturer/Retailer Posting Guidelines:

All Manufacturers / Vendors / Shop Owners / Sponsored Riders should declare their status as a Retailer / Manufacturer in their signature
    Online selling of parts, components or bikes will be accompanied by a paid ad and properly labeled as "Ad" with a link to the paid classified ad or mtbr sponsorship.
    Any one reviewing or testing products and / or components online must state whether they have a vested interest in the product up front. They should state whether they bought the product or they got the product free or with an industry deal or are prohibited from saying negative things about a product.
    All links in a signature for articles for sale should be removed before posting. No "under the signature" shilling or free advertising allowed.
    However, if you own or work for a bike shop, you MAY put a link to your shops website main page to show your affiliation.(this bullit point updated by gregg 6/7/07)
    Manufacturers and Industry folks are encouraged to respond to any questions directed about their product. This is the perfect opportunity to inform and 'set the record straight.'
    Bottom line: Participate and post content in mtbr. Don't use mtbr to get free money for your business. Sponsoring mtbr assures our survival and is very affordable. Contact forrest@mtbr.com and jthomas@consumerreview.com for more info.
    Sincerely,

Francis Cebedo, Founder
    Gregg Kato, Site Manager
    Last edited by 2melow; 11-10-2007 at 10:05 AM.
    Niner Bikes employee. http://www.facebook.com/pages/Niner-...3652275?ref=ts
    Front Range Forum Moderator

contains quinine
    Quote Originally Posted by kchri
    My .02...

What I think most of us agree on is we don't want to accept the random new poster who blatently posts just to sell something...
    Like this?

Transitions ready to ride at a dever shop!

beer is too easy to drink
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Debaser
    Sorry man didn't mean to offend just thought some people might like to see cool bikes in person. too bad im new to mtbr but, not to trying to progress our sport. if you relly dont like like checking out some new gear once in a while thats kinda too bad. but isnt mtbr set up to help everyone get what they really want out of ridding? if you ask a tech question about whatever isnt this the place that people who know the info come to help you out? or if you want to have some fun talking some smack this seams to be the place for that too
    six pack cooler coming soon!

contains quinine
    Quote Originally Posted by mycrusierhasabottleopener
    Sorry man didn't mean to offend just thought some people might like to see cool bikes in person. too bad im new to mtbr but, not to trying to progress our sport. if you relly dont like like checking out some new gear once in a while thats kinda too bad. but isnt mtbr set up to help everyone get what they really want out of ridding? if you ask a tech question about whatever isnt this the place that people who know the info come to help you out? or if you want to have some fun talking some smack this seams to be the place for that too
    New gear is cool. There are a few places to check out the Transitions in Colorado:

Green Mountain Sports LLC
    2950 S Bear Creek Blvd
    Lakewood, CO 80228
    Phone: 303-987-8758
    Email: info@greenmountainsports.com
    Web: www.greenmountainsports.com

Monster Drop Shop
    454 Carter Crt. Num. L
    Dillon, CO 80435
    Phone: 651-775-0623
    Email: monsterdropshop@yahoo.com

Rapid Creek Cycles and Sports
    317 S Main
    Palisade, CO 81526
    Phone: 970-464-9266
    Email: Pete@palisadeoutdoor.com
    Web: www.rapidcreekcycles.com

Redstone Cyclery
    27 Grover Drive
    Lyons, CO 80540
    Phone: 303-823-5810
    Email: dave@redstonecyclery.com
    Web: www.redstonecyclery.com

The Fix Bike Shop
    3085 Bluff St.
    Boulder , CO 80301
    Phone: 866-790-2453
    Email: alex@thefixbikes.com
    Web: www.thefixbikes.com

Westside Cycling and Fitness
    7310 W. Colfax Ave.,
    Lakewood, CO 80214
    Phone: 303-237-1115
    Email: info@westsidecycling.com
    Web: www.westsidecycling.com

Big Boned
    So then - since I went ahead and posted the ad on MTBR classifieds - it's kosher to post a thread about it in the forums to let people know about it? Not from an etiquette perspective, but from a "moderator won't pull the thread" perspective?

I have had all of one response so far. I was thinking someone on the SS forum might be interested...

Sorry for the increasingly boring content of this thread.

trail waggler

I was told...

by a moderator, that you can post one thread, then it will be locked (no replies).
    MY dog can lick YOUR dog!

Moderator Moderator
    Yup, this is correct. It gets locked so it doesn't get "bumped" every couple of hours/days/etc.
    Niner Bikes employee. http://www.facebook.com/pages/Niner-...3652275?ref=ts
    Front Range Forum Moderator