Bad Andy

South Table Mtn ?s

Was thinking about putsing around up on South Table Mtn on my commute home tonight.
    Per Indecent Exposure's map of access points from a previous STM discussion seen below, is the access point on his map furthest to the east off of "Old Quarry Road" - over by Eldridge and 20th?
    Is that a good access point? It seems to be the best to hit on my way home, then I can do said putsing and exit via Golden Hills Rd access point, and finish my ride home.
    I assume all is dry up there at this point?
    And no rattlers yet?
    Any STM experts - a little help?
    Thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    I'm not sure where Old Quarry Road is, but the Eastern-most access point on your map is dry. It's in the neighborhood off 20th and Eldridge, I'm just not familiar with the street names. That access point is STEEP at the end of the climb but 100% ridable. I've ridden there over lunch many times this year (including yesterday and today) and I haven't seen a single rattler yet (just wait- they're coming).

I bike
    Not sure about Old Quarry Road, I use the trail head near NREL, off Denver West. Rode last night it's all dry, haven't seen any snakes yet.

Singletrack Daydreamer
    I live very close to Salvia and Golden Hills and access from Golden Hills. It's certainly one of the easier access points. The one's off the west side seem too steep to ride, but then again, I only used them before I got a bike and was running. The east side one is pretty good, but stays wet longer than the others, but has dried out in the last few weeks pretty well.

Agreed, the rattlers aren't out yet. This time of year they're not really a serious hazard, as the grass is all dead and not very tall. When things green up, they get trickier to see and that's when you hear the buzz but can't tell where it's coming from. That's when I head for higher ground, as it's usually getting too hot around STM anyway (miserably hot in mid-summer).

Regarding the East access, there's an old irrigation ditch that runs between from just about the Rolling Hills Country Club to Denver West (you can kind of see it in your map just above west 26th ave). You can access that ditch from a number of points and follow it to the south and it ties into the one route up. There also used to be a route that dropped into RHCC, but they fenced it off a few years ago and since then it's become very overgrown and is probably unridable by now.

Jeffco brought in a trail dozer and put in a new trail from that east access that is much nicer than the old route up. It takes off out of one of the switchbacks and is probably one of the nicest pieces of trail on the mesa now. Definitely a sweet descent... for STM.

Let me know if you want to bag a night ride some time. I'm always looking for fellow night creatures for STM and GM.
    Train 'til you puke. Cheat to win. Party like a rockstar. We miss you, Jan!

Bad Andy
    OK, so I went up there, and it was actually pretty cool. Not for a normal ride, but for something different. The access off Golden Hills Rd is pretty easy, and family friendly, except for one short stretch. Once up top, the ride would definitely be family friendly and fun for beginners. Like I said, it is fun for experienced as well, just for something different, or like some of you, if you live or work right there, it would be great for a quick spin.
    Saw quite a few hikers and riders. Were any of you there? I was there from about 5:45-7:15pm or so.

I bike
    I wasn't up there last night but will be tonight if it doesnt get to wet. I ride a Carver single speed. Usually a few times a week I get up there around 6:00 and do a loop or two. It's convienent since I live real close. The Bike Station off Youngfield does a group ride on Thursday evenings there. It's a good place early season while everything else is still wet.

Bad Andy
    Last fall, hairylegs mentioned a couple things on this thread:
    2 golden ?s - chimney/apex connector? south table?
    Now that I've been up STM, it's piqued my interest.
    I didn't see the motocross track. Where is that located?
    At the top of the stairs on the west side above downtown Golden, was there actually a restaurant up there? What happened to it? How did people get to it?
    Is it just me, or would the top of STM be a cool location for some kind of skills area...just thinking out loud.