mtbr member
    Dec 2011

South Colo Springs riding

In town this weekend for a baseball tournament in Ft. Carson. Staying in South CS; looking for some good riding fairly close to the hotels @ I-25 and Lake Ave. Any ideas are appreciated; doesn't have to be a monster ride, just don't want to go the whole weekend without riding. Thanks!
    OVER the rocks, not around

Chillaxin 'n Chilcotin!
    Quote Originally Posted by CanyonDad View Post
    In town this weekend for a baseball tournament in Ft. Carson. Staying in South CS; looking for some good riding fairly close to the hotels @ I-25 and Lake Ave. Any ideas are appreciated; doesn't have to be a monster ride, just don't want to go the whole weekend without riding. Thanks!
    I'd say your best choice is Cheyenne Mountain State Park. It's only about 5 miles from I-25 and Lake, and it has some really good riding (the first CO state park designed specifically for mountain biking). You will have to pay $7 to get in, but you will get a nice map and the trails are very well signed. The trails themselves range from flowy XC to easy/moderate technical, and there is probably 15+ miles of trail if you rode them all.

As a second choice, I'd say to hit Captain Jacks in Cheyenne Canyon. It is a well documented trail so you shouldn't have any problem finding directions. Signage is pretty lacking though which is the reason why I would put CJs in second position for an out of towner. CJ's is about a 1,200 foot gain/loss ride, and you can tack on the Chutes if you wanted to extend that to a ~2,000 foot ride. The climb up Buckhorn is a punisher, but you are rewarded with a bobsled like downhill that is really fun. The trail is 90% pea gravel though so if you're uncomfortable in loose conditions, I'd stick to the state park.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Exactly what I was looking for, many thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by kristian View Post
    I'd say your best choice is Cheyenne Mountain State Park. It's only about 5 miles from I-25 and Lake, and it has some really good riding (the first CO state park designed specifically for mountain biking). You will have to pay $7 to get in, but you will get a nice map and the trails are very well signed. The trails themselves range from flowy XC to easy/moderate technical, and there is probably 15+ miles of trail if you rode them all.

As a second choice, I'd say to hit Captain Jacks in Cheyenne Canyon. It is a well documented trail so you shouldn't have any problem finding directions. Signage is pretty lacking though which is the reason why I would put CJs in second position for an out of towner. CJ's is about a 1,200 foot gain/loss ride, and you can tack on the Chutes if you wanted to extend that to a ~2,000 foot ride. The climb up Buckhorn is a punisher, but you are rewarded with a bobsled like downhill that is really fun. The trail is 90% pea gravel though so if you're uncomfortable in loose conditions, I'd stick to the state park.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Forgot to ask: how about trail conditions over there? We live in GJ, and woke up to 6+ inches of snow this morning.

Chillaxin 'n Chilcotin!
    Quote Originally Posted by CanyonDad View Post
    Forgot to ask: how about trail conditions over there? We live in GJ, and woke up to 6+ inches of snow this morning.
    When are you coming? We are experiencing a "blizzard" at the moment and probably have 2" of snow (north COS) in the grassy areas. If you're looking to ride this weekend, I'd give it an 80% chance of being good. If you're looking to ride tomorrow, things are going to be pretty messy at the state park.

If it is messy at CMSP, Captain Jacks (mentioned above) is good to ride even if it's wet because of the decomposed granite--instead of being loose, it hooks up like velcro when wet. Keep that ride in mind as a backup.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    We'll be there late Friday; turns out CMP is very close to the fields my son will be playing at. Perfect, going to bring the bike.

When are you coming? We are experiencing a "blizzard" at the moment and probably have 2" of snow (north COS) in the grassy areas. If you're looking to ride this weekend, I'd give it an 80% chance of being good. If you're looking to ride tomorrow, things are going to be pretty messy at the state park.

If it is messy at CMSP, Captain Jacks (mentioned above) is good to ride even if it's wet because of the decomposed granite--instead of being loose, it hooks up like velcro when wet. Keep that ride in mind as a backup.