mtbr member

Soul Shine Road near Drake

I rode down to this old jeep road the other day. It shows you can connect from Hwy 34 to Pole hill. I got back in aways and there was a gate across the road. Sign private property. Did not want to take a chance at getting shot so turned around. Then yesterday I went down to Button Rock. Got to the gate and the sign said no bikes. What is wrong with biking on a well maintained road. I look at Google earth and see lots of opportunities only to find they do not allow bikes. Is there any place on the net to go and see if bikes are allowed before riding down to find out the hard way? I finally found Hall Ranch but did not get to ride because it was late and the sign said the trail was POOR.
    Pain is temporary but Pride is forever.

t.i.t.s.ceo/FR amoeba rep
    Stop in at redstone cyclery and talk to Dave- he will grab a map and have you on your way!
    I'm a cowboy on a steel horse i ride!

the blog

!Vamos, flaco!
    Quote Originally Posted by dutchman59 View Post
    ... What is wrong with biking on a well maintained road. I... Is there any place on the net to go and see if bikes are allowed before riding down to find out the hard way? ...
    The public does not have a legal right to use all roads, especially those traversing private property. It's a bummer. Regarding the road near Button Rock, the City of Longmont stores most of its municipal water supply in Button Rock Reservoir, so they do not want lots of people in the area, which would potentially make the water less pure and more expensive to treat.

Lots of counties have websites with interactive maps that you can use to look at whether land is under public or private ownership. Of course, just because a public entity owns the land does not necessarily means the public has a right to use the land. Neverthelss, its a good resource. Boulder' is pretty good: Boulder County
    "Fact is only what you believe; fact and fiction work as a team." Jack Johnson

holding back the darkness
    It's tricky just trying to stay in the right.
    Roads CAN be private.... Privately paid for, privately maintained. Can't ride those without permission.
    Occasionally.... Property owners have been known to post "no trespassing" signs on the private property Immediately adjacent to the road which gives the impression that the road itself is private when in reality it is the property on either side that is private.
    Tricky to always know the difference. It can take some investigation to figure all this out. Basically, if you're unsure then you probably need to ask someone if it's cool to ride there.
    **** censorship

Abby Normal
    I think in the case of Button Rock it's just one of those areas where they've just made the decision to keep it 'pedestrian only', not so much an attempt to keep people out (as it gets quite a lot of foot traffic from hikers, fisherman and the occasional rock climber). There are some nice hiking trails there (one of my favorite places to take my dog actually).

mtbr member
    It is a beautiful area. Snowshoes for me the next time.
    Pain is temporary but Pride is forever.

slow
    Quote Originally Posted by dutchman59 View Post
    Is there any place on the net to go and see if bikes are allowed before riding down to find out the hard way?
    The Larimer County Land Information Locator from the GIS department shows parcels and whether they are public or private. The map below is a screen shot from the site, showing the Soul Shine Road crossing the green (public) parcels and then going across the white (private) parcels. In some cases, a public right of way exists, but this tool will give you an idea where the public and private land is located. As was mentioned above, just because it is publicly owned, doesn't mean the public has free use of the property.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Soul Shine Road near Drake-soulshine.jpg