Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    This place is wasteland

Someone always beats me to my great idea.

I had this great idea.... so I googled it... and it has been had before.

Seems worthy... don't you think?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Someone always beats me to my great idea.-screen-shot-2011-11-25-10.34.24-am.png  

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    My knees hurt just thinking about biopace chanrings. (same concept)

What were those goofy hinged cranks that were popular with triathletes for a while?

Yappy little dog!
    Quote Originally Posted by guacamole View Post

Looks like a lot of possible breakage to me.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010

Well, that article seems old....and I don't see any bikes around with those. Do the math....

Kaj
    mtbr member
    almost anything you can think of has been tried and invented for a bicycle, most of it before 1910. you won't be first, but if you can build it and sell it you don't need to be. no point in building this one though
    Helping folks shred in Boulder & Colorado since 1982 www.fullcyclebikes.com

mtb enthusiast
    I think this device would seriously screw up one's cadence.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yappy little dog!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaj View Post
    almost anything you can think of has been tried and invented for a bicycle, most of it before 1910. you won't be first, but if you can build it and sell it you don't need to be. no point in building this one though
    That's a pretty blind way of thinking. That's the kind of thought that has caused our Country to fall behind the rest of the world. We are driven by ingenuity. Not everything has been thought of or done. Heck, Gates carbon belt drives are a perfect example.

You've spent too much time in Boulder.

You better watch this:

IMDb - Atlas Shrugged: Part I (2011)

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by schnauzers View Post
    That's the kind of thought that has caused our Country to fall behind the rest of the world.
    consider the source and be sure to make your bicycle/parts purchases elsewhere

that's how i roll

Chronic 1st-timer
    Quote Originally Posted by torreyaz View Post
    I think this device would seriously screw up one's cadence.
    Ya never know....he might like that.
    I heard he doesn't even mount his crankarms 180° to each other sometimes.
    Les grimpées, je les déteste!

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    That's the kind of thought that has caused our Country to fall behind the rest of the world. We are driven by ingenuity.

"That's a pretty blind way of thinking."

We still are, we just send production overseas. The US is the leader in innovation by leaps and bounds in absolutely all industries.

Lack of Innovation is NOT the problem.

mtbr member

You better watch this:

I wonder how they're going to show the rape scenes.

Kaj
    mtbr member
    That's a pretty blind way of thinking. That's the kind of thought that has caused our Country to fall behind the rest of the world. We are driven by ingenuity. Not everything has been thought of or done. Heck, Gates carbon belt drives are a perfect example.

You've spent too much time in Boulder.

You better watch this:

Yo schnauzers,

I'm on the entrepreneur's side, so please don't read that much into my comment. My MBA is in entrepreneurship, and I've started a few companies, included a VC backed software company that sold to 3com.

I was merely commenting that at one point they were thinking of having a 2nd patent office just for bicycles. There was some cool and crazy stuff invented 100 years ago.

I saw that movie a few weeks ago it was pretty good. I've also read most of Ayn Rands fiction books and 2 of her separate books on Objectivism(For the New Intellectual and the Introduction to Objectivist Epistemology). Her work is appropriate if you understand it and can apply in context--unfortunately too many people in my opinion don't do either. I'm not saying that you don't understand her work, or took it too far your comment. But as an entrepreneur I see too many folks who just go too far with her work, at least for my taste living in Boulder and all
    Helping folks shred in Boulder & Colorado since 1982 www.fullcyclebikes.com

Yappy little dog!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaj View Post
    Yo schnauzers,

I'm on the entrepreneur's side, so please don't read that much into my comment. My MBA is in entrepreneurship, and I've started a few companies, included a VC backed software company that sold to 3com.

I was merely commenting that at one point they were thinking of having a 2nd patent office just for bicycles. There was some cool and crazy stuff invented 100 years ago.

I saw that movie a few weeks ago it was pretty good. I've also read most of Ayn Rands fiction books and 2 of her separate books on Objectivism(For the New Intellectual and the Introduction to Objectivist Epistemology). Her work is appropriate if you understand it and can apply in context--unfortunately too many people in my opinion don't do either. I'm not saying that you don't understand her work, or took it too far your comment. But as an entrepreneur I see too many folks who just go too far with her work, at least for my taste living in Boulder and all
    Things happen in cycles. Well, that's my take on it.I think there are plenty of things ahead for bicycles. Who would have thought they would make a bike out of carbon fiber? That's a relatively new idea. Disc brakes, 2x10 on MTB (it wasn't that long ago that you couldn't get more than seven), Stans, LED lights, etc. You just have to step back and think about it.

I am not an Ayn Rand cultist, but there so many things working against entrepreneurship, efficiency, and ingenuity in this country. It's scary to think that you pretty much have to work on what the government says you should work on (i.e. Solar), if you want support.

Yappy little dog!
    Quote Originally Posted by rogbie View Post
    I wonder how they're going to show the rape scenes.
    No rape scenes. There were two "sex" scenes, but pretty tame. I'd let my kids watch it. I don't even remember hearing any cursing. The acting could have been much better, but I suppose the book really didn't lend itself for scripting. Kind of choppy scenes in the movie that you have the ability to go back to in a book and re-read.

I Void Waranties
    I believe you can still buy ival chainrings for the excact same perpose
    The 1st production mountain bike was sold in 1984.
    Anti EBB

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Who would have thought they would make a bike out of carbon fiber? That's a relatively new idea.
    I dunno - 20-ish years is pretty "mature" IMO...

Yappy little dog!
    Quote Originally Posted by SkaredShtles View Post
    I dunno - 20-ish years is pretty "mature" IMO...
    Not really. Twenty years seems to be the norm if you look at bicycle history. No brakes to cantilevers - 20 Years. Three speeds to ten speeds - 20 years. Steel frame to aluminum frame - 20 years.

Your bike is incorrigible
    Yep, I've had two inventions that turned out to already exist. Of course, they were also inventions that no one has seen let alone used.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Not really. Twenty years seems to be the norm if you look at bicycle history. No brakes to cantilevers - 20 Years. Three speeds to ten speeds - 20 years. Steel frame to aluminum frame - 20 years.

I'd add 10 or 20 years to that easy..

It's never been an issue of "ideas", it's always an issue of cost effectiveness.

There are some RAD ideas out there with materials, designs, etc.. but they just simply aren't cost effective to go to production on the open market.

As to the OPs post, it would probably be easier to design an internal progressive cam/gearing system to increase the leverage off the cranks then by changing the crank length itself (for the same effect).
    Something akin to the planetary gear reduction systems used in monster truck hubs. An epicyclic gearing system at the cranks would be pretty nutty, but again that whole cost thing...
    Last edited by DrJosiah; 11-26-2011 at 09:35 PM.

t.i.t.s.ceo/FR amoeba rep
    Quote Originally Posted by lubes17319 View Post
    Ya never know....he might like that.
    I heard he doesn't even mount his crankarms 180° to each other sometimes.
    Now that was a pretty damn funny thing to witness!
    I'm a cowboy on a steel horse i ride!

the blog

This place is wasteland
    Quote Originally Posted by PBR me! View Post
    Now that was a pretty damn funny thing to witness!
    Bastids!

I liked to pedal in a gallop.

Actually, the ability to misalign the crank arms was probably due to this incident:
    Lose a crankarm AV Boy?

Rigid in Evergreen
    Ovalizing the chainrings is a far more efficient and reliable way to get the same effect.

Besides, it sounds like they plagiarized half that article from Penthouse Letters.

This place is wasteland
    Quote Originally Posted by topmounter View Post
    Ovalizing the chainrings is a far more efficient and reliable way to get the same effect.
    I have ignored this argument a few times in this thread... and its because I hadn't decided if it is me that doesn't understand physics or you guys. Here is my train of thought.

The ovalized chainring is designed to move less chain in the dead zone of the pedal stroke. Which is the top and bottom. It will move MORE chain in the strong part of the pedal stroke. when the pedals are at the horizontal. It is designed to give you additional speed.

Varying the length of the crank arms has nothing to do with the amount of chain that is moved. It is changing the length of the lever arm, extending the length at the horizontal part of the pedal stroke. Which allows you provide even more force by lengthening the lever. Think cheater bar on a wrench.

I pictured a single speeder climbing a steep pitch. Out of the saddle barely turning over the cranks. In this situation, they aren't worried about speed, or cadence... just mashing the pedals. An ovalized chainring would make it even HARDER to get up the hill because it increases the gear ratio at the horizontal. Lengthening the crank arm will make it easier by providing more leverage to a constant gear ratio.

Darondo for president
    It is designed to give you additional speed.
    Not exactly. Your legs are naturally able to produce more power at certain parts of the stroke and less power elsewhere. Oval chainrings try to vary the power output accordingly.

Sounds like you're looking to use variable-length crankarms as another type of gear. Maybe: short cranks for spinning downhill and long cranks for pushing uphill. Is that right?

Rolling
    Pfffft...This stuff comes out in different varieties every few years.....

DREAMSLIDE - Discover new sensations

.....kinda like the four-bar suspensions that are renamed, VPP, DW link, maestro, etc. It's amazing that companies can continue to re-patent this stuff.

Material science and modern manufacturing techniques are really what bring these old ideas back to life. Otherwise, like Kaj says, most bike concepts were invented at the turn of the century.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast