RS Space Monkey

Somebody jacked my sh1t!

Stolen Bike Alert!

Somebody stole my bike. They wanted it bad enough that they actually broke into my car last night to get it.

'02 KHS FXT Pro, Slate Blue
    '05 RS Pike Team, Blue Steel
    XT Cranks, Silver
    XT Rear Der
    2-ring setup in the front with a black 36t salsa ring on the outside
    Deore Hydraulic Discs, Silver

The bike is distinctive enough that my guess is nobody will be stupid enough to be riding around the Springs on it. They probably threw the fork and maybe the derailleur on their bike and either gave the rest away or threw it in the dumpster. If everyone around the Springs could keep an eye out for anyone pimping a new Pike Team, I'd appreciate it. There can't be more than about 5-10 of them in town. One of them is mine. Get license plate #'s on their vehicle if you can. I have all the serial #'s, so it will be easy enough for the cops to check it out.

As soon as I have time to re-size a pic small enough to download, I'll put it up. I am offering a $250 reward for any information leading to the recovery of the bike & fork in usable condition or leading to the arrest of the dirty rotten low-down sneak-thief CHUMP that broke into my car.

In addition, if anyone comes across someone trying to sell or dump any/all of the above, I would appreciate a heads-up. Please PM or e-mail me with any info.

Thanks,

Jason
    Last edited by Scabby Elbowz; 01-09-2005 at 03:14 PM.
    Ain't No Mountains in Texas

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Scabby Elbowz
    Stolen Bike Alert!

Somebody stole my bike. They wanted it bad enough that they actually broke into my car last night to get it.

'02 KHS FXT Pro, Slate Blue
    '05 RS Pike Team, Blue Steel
    XT Cranks, Silver
    XT Rear Der
    2-ring setup in the front with a black 36t salsa ring on the outside

The bike is distinctive enough that my guess is nobody will be stupid enough to be riding around the Springs on it. They probably threw the fork and maybe the derailleur on their bike and either gave the rest away or threw it in the dumpster. If everyone around the Springs could keep an eye out for anyone pimping a new Pike Team, I'd appreciate it. There can't be more than about 5-10 of them in town. One of them is mine. Get license plate #'s on their vehicle if you can. I have all the serial #'s, so it will be easy enough for the cops to check it out.

In addition, if anyone comes across someone trying to sell or dump any/all of the above, I would appreciate a heads-up. Please PM or e-mail me with any info.

Thanks,

Jason

dang man, that sucks. My eyes are peeled

locked - time out
    Quote Originally Posted by DanD
    dang man, that sucks. My eyes are peeled
    Ditto - I'll keep an eye out up here around Denver - Did you have any distinctive scratches or anything that might more easily ID the fork for those of us looking?

RS Space Monkey
    Quote Originally Posted by s1ngletrack
    Ditto - I'll keep an eye out up here around Denver - Did you have any distinctive scratches or anything that might more easily ID the fork for those of us looking?
    The bike had a BUNCH of scratches, but the fork was almost brand new. Ridden less than 12 times. Just swapped out the stock spring for a firm one last week.

I put a white zip tie on one of the stanchions that I used to dial in the settings and removed the warning sticker. There is a little bit of scuffing where the metal shows through the black paint on the Maxle QR handle. Easiest way to ID a Team is the color. Blue is only an option on the Team model. I would bet good money there are fewer than 10 of these in Colorado Springs.

Now Uploading
    That friggin' rotts. Worthless low-life grabastic dirtbag bike thiefs must die a flaming death in burning hell.

I'm in the local Denver shops a lot, I'll keep an eye out and spread the word in case someone rolls in with it anywhere up here.

Good luck.

I think we should all have a system to alert all local shops to any stolen bikes with the SN#s so they can keep the list and check it against bikes brought in for work. Couldn't hurt.

Dave
    [SIZE=2]Just Passing Through: eatin' dirt & crappin' dust[/SIZE]

mtbr member

Lets catch these punks !!

Sorry to hear of your loss. Please give us details of where when, vehicle, etc of theft. If in parking lot check on video tape, many stores now have them.

You should visit all the bike shops including Brians and give them pics too! The cops are pretty useless, they really have no idea what a Vin or serial number is, speaking from personal experience. If you can post or send a image with your phone numbers etc, and police theft report # I will make copies and we will put them in our packs and in our cars for quick, no brainer access. If we can only spot the bastids, we can tail them, confront em in mass, and then consider our options.

CSPRINGS

Chillaxin 'n Chilcotin!

That sucks!

The bike had a BUNCH of scratches, but the fork was almost brand new. Ridden less than 12 times. Just swapped out the stock spring for a firm one last week.

I put a white zip tie on one of the stanchions that I used to dial in the settings and removed the warning sticker. There is a little bit of scuffing where the metal shows through the black paint on the Maxle QR handle. Easiest way to ID a Team is the color. Blue is only an option on the Team model. I would bet good money there are fewer than 10 of these in Colorado Springs.
    There could actually be a bunch of Team Pikes here seeing as RockShox R+D is here in town. I'll keep my eyes peeled for you. Where was your car when they stole it?

RS Space Monkey
    Still working on resizing some pics. My trial of print shop pro ran out, so I'll have to get creative.

The police report # is 05-01938. The contact number for police officer who took the report is 719-444-7779 ext 4052. I will be putting together a flier with pics and contact information this weekend to take around to bike shops and pawn brokers and the like. I have a friend who will post it on his website if I ask and I'll put the link up for anyone who feels like helping out.

The bike was stolen sometime between 7:30 Saurday night & 11:00 Sunday morning. Someone jimmied the door on my maroon Subaru Wagon. It was parked in a parking lot about 25yds from my front door downtown near Platte & Wahsatch.

RS R&D is in town, so there are a few Pikes around. Just not very many. The only other one I've seen on the trail was a Race model. Ran into one of RS's product testers riding it around last summer. I'm not saying that everyone riding a Pike is a thief. Just one of them. I might have gone a tad overboard, but that bike was my most valuable posession. It cost more than my car, and I want it back... BAD.

I did catch one break. The lowlife who broke into my car dropped their pocket knife inside while they were wrestling the bike out of the side door. Hopefully the cops can pull some prints and find a match.

Once again, thanks for the offers of help and I'll keep everyone posted.

Jason

locked - time out
    Did you have renters/ homeowners / full coverage on the car? Most renters / homeowners ins will cover items stolen from your car if you auto policy won't.

Also - you should be able to resize your pics using "paint" in windows.

contains quinine
    Still working on resizing some pics. My trial of print shop pro ran out, so I'll have to get creative.
    Go here:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/d...powertoys.mspx

Get image resizer.
    Take the long cut, we'll get there eventually.

Addicted
    Hey Scabby...I'd like to help get your pics posted. If you still can't get them resized you can email them to me at yeti -at- mymountainbike.net and I'll get them fixed for you. Would love to assist in any way I can to help catch the barstage.

Last edited by SiberianYETI; 01-12-2005 at 07:34 AM.

RS Space Monkey
    No full coverage, or renter's insurance or anything like that. Didn't see much sense driving around in a $800 car (until now, that is). Will definitely be checking into some renter's insurance.

The version of Paint that I have won't let me resize pics anymore. Thanks for the link, Debaser (first name Jim?). Did the planning meeting for the freeride park so I didn't have time tonight, but I'll get some pics up tomorrow.

Did find this link that has a decent profile shot of the bike back before I put the new fork on & got rid of the big ring up front:

http://www.rapko.com/images/monarchc...R1-034-15A.jpg

locked - time out
    Yeah - not to add insult to injury, but renter's insurance will run you around $17 a month - which is nothing when it comes time to use your policy to replace something like this.

contains quinine
    The version of Paint that I have won't let me resize pics anymore. Thanks for the link, Debaser (first name Jim?). Did the planning meeting for the freeride park so I didn't have time tonight, but I'll get some pics up tomorrow.
    Yer welcome. It's Bryan, for folks dealing with me in the "real" world.

Good luck with the bike thing, too. I once had a bike returned to me via the police, about 2 years after it was stolen. Not the best outcome, but not terrible either...
    Take the long cut, we'll get there eventually.