mtbr member
    Feb 2008

Soapstone Natural Area Trail Conditions

Trail conditions up at Soapstone are good. All trails in Soapstone, except for the seasonal closure for the Plover Loop, are open. The wind is another story......

slow
    fcna, thanks for posting this here. It is especially useful for this particular open space, given the distance from town. The paper made it sound pretty bad up there. Can we assume any conditions reports for Soapstone are good for Red Mountain, as well?

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by sgltrak
    fcna, thanks for posting this here. It is especially useful for this particular open space, given the distance from town. The paper made it sound pretty bad up there. Can we assume any conditions reports for Soapstone are good for Red Mountain, as well?
    You know what they say about making assumptions......

Currently Red Mountain is not open to the public, including the trails. Not having been on their trails I'm not sure how quickly they dry out. Although the two areas are adjacent to one another they have really different geology, which might cause differences in how they handle moisture.

It was a gorgeous day up there yesterday, green grass and emerging wildflowers cover the hills. I encourage all to check the area out. The trails are non-technical and have a most enjoyable flow to them.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Any updates heading into the weekend? I'd heard the storms have been pretty bad north of Fort Collins

Thanks

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    There was a quick blurb about the new open space parks in the most recent Nat Geo Adventure magazine.

FleshwoundGravityResearch
    Quote Originally Posted by godot
    Any updates heading into the weekend? I'd heard the storms have been pretty bad north of Fort Collins

Thanks

Bump!

I am sure bbone is good to go, but I was told Shoreline/Michaud/Maxwell/Foothills were all a mess.

pain intolerant
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by mtn hack
    Bump!

I am sure bbone is good to go, but I was told Shoreline/Michaud/Maxwell/Foothills were all a mess.
    I did a road ride around Horsetooth and Shoreline etc. looked dry from what I could see. I'm hoping the rain holds off tonight as I'm planning on hitting Bobcat tomorrow AM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by mtn hack
    Bump!

Rode shoreline/michaud/maxwell this evening. A few small places with some gunk but overall ok. Most spots could be hopped

loco

Soapstone 6-13-09

I went to soapstone this afternoon for the first time and got about 15 miles in. Really nice views and everything out there. No mud or anything but the trail felt super sandy and somewhat difficult to ride through in parts. Probably all the moisture in the ground. I did not experience much flow at all and it felt like a grind the whole way but I'm sure that will change when things dry out more. Here's a few pics from my cell phone for anyone interested.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." (Ferris Bueller)

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by konacoffee
    I went to soapstone this afternoon for the first time and got about 15 miles in. Really nice views and everything out there. No mud or anything but the trail felt super sandy and somewhat difficult to ride through in parts. Probably all the moisture in the ground. I did not experience much flow at all and it felt like a grind the whole way but I'm sure that will change when things dry out more. Here's a few pics from my cell phone for anyone interested.
    Blue Sky also lacked flow and was loose when it was first built, now you can coast from Fort Collins to Loveland and back if the breeze is blowing the right way. Trail probably just needs to "break in"

loco
    I could definetely see it probably being a super awesome flowy trail once its broken in like DanD said.
    "Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." (Ferris Bueller)

what nice teeth you have
    From those pictures it looks like a beatiful area. May have to head up there this summer.

mtbr member
    Nice pics. thx for posting. Hopefully Red Mountain will open, once things dry out.

mtbr member
    I could definetely see it probably being a super awesome flowy trail once its broken in like DanD said.
    Kona, could this be ridden with a hard tail with slicks on it? I was thinking of bringing my converted Stumpjumper "around town bike" as opposed to my FS bike. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008

which way to go

Planning on heading out to soapstone tomorrow but not sure what to do once I get there. I can look at the map all I want but that won't tell me anything about the trails. Anyone have a good route figured out yet? Or at least know which trails are fun one way but not the other??
    Looking for a 15+ mile ride.