Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Gravity Rides Everything

so what's the decisive colorado tire?

I'm currently running a set of worn out maxxis ignitors. not a terrible tire, but i can't help thinking there must be something better for the loose gravely/sandy surfaces so common around here.

i'm thinking i want a 2.3" or so... i don't race much, i'm more interested in a durable grippy tire. i ride a turner 5-spot. mostly looking for a rear at the moment. the ignitor i have on the front seems to be doing well.

oh yeah, has to be tubeless! i guess mostly everything comes in tubeless these days.

gravity curmudgeon
    Nobby Nic. I am happy with 2.4 NNs front and rear on my 5spot for conditions that you describe. I'll bet the NNs roll a bit faster than the Ignitors and grip much better.

Lots of tire options and this topic is regularly discussed. I run a lot of different tires on my 5spot depending on conditions.

Ride Everything
    Hutchinson Barracuda, Conti Rubber Queen.
    GRAVELBIKE.COM - ride everything

Shread Ready
    I just saw a thread in here FR CO about tires recently so you might want to look that up also. I was thinking about getting some of those maxxis ignitors myself since I really liked my Maxxis Larsens a whole lot! The Larsens 2.3 handle business and roll way better than the stocks that came with my bike. I'll have to look into those NN's mentioned.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    I run on my trance x a nevegal 2.35 on the front and a high roller 2.35 on back. Great combo imo and the nevegal is cheaper then the maxxis,

also try a maxxis dhf 2.35 on the front and high roller on the back

nice marmot.
    love the larsens.
    Q. how many kids with A.D.D. does it take to change a light bulb?
    A. i don't know, ya wanna go ride bikes?

mtbr member
    Velociraptors grip the loose stuff really well. I run 35 psi front and back.

PDB
    SUFD
    2.2 - 2.4 with large knobs that are widely spaced and with sipes... unless you are the lycra-xc-racer type, then you probably have an opinion that I couldn't influence anyway
    Want to go green? Want to be low impact?
    Buy 2nd Hand Products!

mtbr member
    I have 2.35 Maxxis Minion's on my Heckler and 2.3k Nevegals on my Chameleon and I think the Maxxis roll pretty good, climb all right(compared to my Minion 2.5's) and take a decent beating in the rock gardens (But the 2.5's were more better in the rocks). I was going to try the high rollers but I went with the minions since I liked the 2.5's I thought it would be a good option to down size them a little and get something a bit lighter.
    2007'ish Heckler and 2006 Chameleon
    If anyone needs the help of a prototype/custom machinist let me know.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    New to CO riding from CT. Running a Nevegal 2.5 in the front and a Velociraptor 2.1 in the rear. Working out for me. The Velociraptor really bites into the dirt and rock gardens.
    noooooo, not that JCOS!!

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    IMO, Schwalbe sidewalls aren't meant for the Front Range. Great rolling/gripping tires but expensive and too wimpy. I really like the maxxis LUST sidewalls. Pretty beefy and still have some decent feel but... I can't seem to get them to seat really well at lower pressures on my daily wheels (WTB laser disc trail). They're pretty good on my mavic 819's though.

I'm running Ignitor 2.1 up front and crossmark 2.1 on back. Have some Ignitor 1.95's that I'm gonna try on the rear when I wear/blow the crossmarks. Also like the Nevegal DTC's.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Schwalbe Fat Albert 2.4 with the snakeskin sidewall. Love them Love them Love them, but I hated them at high pressure. I got lazy and never pumped them up and when I got down to about 20 psi they kicked ass. The are great up to 30 psi, but bounce a bit above that.

The Schwalbe 2.4 is as big if not bigger than any other manufacturer's 2.5s (Especially Maxxis and Conti) and a lot lighter.

They are lasting far better than my Kenda's that I ran forever. I hated how the knobs fell off on the Kendas. I also have not had any flats on the Schwalbs yet this year, they have much better side walls than the Kenda's , on par with my Minions that are heavy as hell.

I am going to put a Big Betty on my wife's front if I can ever find one for a reasonable price, if not she will get a pair of FAs as well.

Gravity Rides Everything
    so more of a blocky paddle type tread than a waffle type pattern?

i was a big v-raptor fan back in some of the muckier parts of the northeast. can't say i've ever really tried em on the loose stuff. i remember them being sketchy on hardpack.

Gravity Rides Everything
    Quote Originally Posted by upmtnsinbreck
    love the larsens.
    that is an interesting looking tire. reminds me of the little pin-studded tires we used to use for dirt track radio control car racing.

also seems like it would put a lot of rubber down in all the right places... and royally suck in the mud. but i've gotta get my mud-centric tire tendencies out of my brain. this is the desert!

feel the Force
    Velociraptors? Are you serious? Why not just find an old pair of Smoke/Darts! lol
    A punctured bicycle
    on a hillside desolate,
    will nature make a man of me yet...
    -Morrissey

Quote Originally Posted by cowdog
    Nobby Nic. I am happy with 2.4 NNs front and rear on my 5spot for conditions that you describe. I'll bet the NNs roll a bit faster than the Ignitors and grip much better.
    +1 for the NN's. I run the 2.4's on my Nomad, best tires I've ever had.

Porch
    "If we were Vikings, Rocky Mountain aspen stands would be our Vahalla and its singletrack our bounty" - Mtn Flyer Mag #14

Oh, So Interesting!
    Quote Originally Posted by MileHighMark
    Hutchinson Barracuda, Conti Rubber Queen.
    The 2.4 RQs are the best tires I've ever used, single or double ply... even better than the 2.5 dhf 3c or Big Betty. Maxxis Ardent 2.25 is a good rear tire, rails when you want it to and drifts predictably. It is better than the ignitors or high rollers. 2.35 minions are good too, but aren't especially fast or long-wearing.

Strava: turn off your dork logger when you're not on sanctioned trails.

skillz to pay billz
    anyone tried the Michelin Mountain Xtreme?

mtbr member
    Nevegal 2.1 in front, smallblock8's (2.35)in back
    I have one firm belief about the American political system, God is a Republican and Santa Claus is a Democrat P.J. O'Rourke

Ride Everything
    Quote Originally Posted by sandan
    Nevegal 2.1 in front, smallblock8's (2.35)in back
    I'm running a 2.1 UST Nevegal in the back, and it works really well with a 2.2" Rubber Queen up front. I wanted to run the RQ front and rear, but the Conti's are so tall that I had virtually no clearance at the chainstay bridge.

When the Nev' wears out, I've got an SB8 ready to try.
    GRAVELBIKE.COM - ride everything

mtbr member

Get fresh Ignitors!!!

All good inputs and everyone has an opinion as you see, but I live in Breck> Very mineral> hardpack to lush-loam roots> rock gardens, bla bla bla> oh yeah & I ride in Fruita GJ /Moab a lot! I run 2.35 UST Ignitors everywhere> corners> drifting> ewok> drops> jumps> desert> woods.

My .02
    The best trails are STILL...

www.breckepic.com
    http://mavsports.com/

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Decisive CO tire?

There isn't one.

HTH.

Gaa-zee-raaaa!
    Quote Originally Posted by nOOby
    anyone tried the Michelin Mountain Xtreme?
    Yes, they're pretty heavy but corner like you wouldn't believe and are fairly predictable when they do break loose.

That said, I'm no longer running them on my trailbike because they weigh like 1100 grams.
    Now with more vitriol!

mtbr member
    they're fairly new, but i've been loving the WTB prowler. used em all last season here in summit and they rocked. pretty soft so they wear pretty fast, but way sticky. i run them tubeless on mavic rims with stans. they do really well in fruita too. stick on the rock and float over the sand. little heavy at 900g.

WTB prowler XT 2.3 front
    WTB prowler SS 2.3 rear

skillz to pay billz
    thanks 'zilla

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast