Thread: So there I was

mtbr member

So there I was

riding HTMP on Loggers between Sawmill and Carey Springs this morning around 7:15 when I hear a little rustle in the grass, a couple of grunts and then the sound of bark being scratched off the tree. I ride about another twenty feet, turn around and see a mid sized black bear about ten feet up a tree, panting and staring right at me. He looked more scared than I was. Not sure if he saw me coming but I suppose he wasn't too far off the trail when I initially passed him/her.

I looked around and didn't see any cubs or friends so I just stared at him awhile and took off. Wish I had a smartphone or at least my camera I sometimes ride with, so no pictures. I talked to a ranger later and he said there is a sow with two cubs in the park along with a collared bear that the state is monitoring. I've ridden here many times, never seen a bear before.

pain intolerant
    Apr 2006
    Lucky you! I ride up there a lot but haven't had any interesting mammal sitings. Cool that the bear was making enough noise for you to hear it.

I did watch a small snake drag a lizard off of Sawmill this morning (or it could have been the other way around).

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Furrydogs View Post
    riding HTMP on Loggers between Sawmill and Carey Springs this morning around 7:15 when I hear a little rustle in the grass, a couple of grunts and then the sound of bark being scratched off the tree. I ride about another twenty feet, turn around and see a mid sized black bear about ten feet up a tree, panting and staring right at me. He looked more scared than I was. Not sure if he saw me coming but I suppose he wasn't too far off the trail when I initially passed him/her.

I looked around and didn't see any cubs or friends so I just stared at him awhile and took off. Wish I had a smartphone or at least my camera I sometimes ride with, so no pictures. I talked to a ranger later and he said there is a sow with two cubs in the park along with a collared bear that the state is monitoring. I've ridden here many times, never seen a bear before.
    Same thing happened to me at the USAFA Falcon Trail a couple years ago. Spooked Mama Bear and two cubs up a pine tree...heard crashing through underbrush, then claws on pine bark. I had the adrenaline shot of OH SH*T HERE IT COMES and my tempo on the climb went up to about 160 RPMs till I realized the sound was going the other way. I stopped and looked around, and when I saw them, mama chuffed and woofed a couple times and the babies climbed up a little higher. I barked back at her and took advantage of the adrenaline for the rest of the climb!

Now with 10% more!
    Whenever I go solo in HTMP I start thinking about the big bears and kittys. This doesn't help that.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I used to see black bears ~1/5 rides back in the George Washington National Forest in VA. Generally they either run away and up a tree real quick or they drop from a tree (thump) and scurry off. One time though, riding alone at dawn I came upon the largest one I'd ever seen. Rode up to about 30 feet from him/her (no cubs), it turned to look at me, smelled about for a moment, then continued the same direction I was going at the same pace. I waited for it to get about 100 feet away from me before I slowly turned around and took the long way home. The thing had to be ~350 pounds and smelled terrible.

mtbr member

So there I was

Randomly ended up at the Memphis Zoo last week and got up close to a mountain lion. She was lying right up against the glass window sleeping. Just a big cat really, lol. Seriously though, it was really cool to see one just a few inches away. Really cool animals. Hoping I never get that close to one anywhere other than a zoo! I asked the ranger if it by chance came from Colorado but apparently it was rescued from up in Oregon.

"Oldfart from Wayback"
    Quote Originally Posted by mtblucas View Post
    Randomly ended up at the Memphis Zoo last week and got up close to a mountain lion. She was lying right up against the glass window sleeping. Just a big cat really, lol. Seriously though, it was really cool to see one just a few inches away. Really cool animals. Hoping I never get that close to one anywhere other than a zoo! I asked the ranger if it by chance came from Colorado but apparently it was rescued from up in Oregon.
    I've seen 5-6 "Big Kitties" in HTMP, never a bear.

There used to be a long lived female that would always have her cubs out sunning above the steps at the south end of the rock...

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    I took my 6 year old son to Lory last fall. We were going to mountain bike, but both of his tires were flat from riding through some empty lots the night before. I loaded the bikes that night and didn't check them before we left for Lory. Anyway, we got there and had to hike instead. As we're hiking he said to me, Dad, I hope we don't see a bear. I told him I've been on these trails hundreds of times and have never seen a bear. About ten minutes later, we hear some sticks breaking and leaves rustling. A smaller bear crashed out onto the trail about twenty yards from us. It looked at us, sprayed some **** out of its ass and sprinted up the hill away from us. Amazing how fast they can run. My son thought it was amazing. It was a good day in the park.