mtbr member
    Mar 2007

So I'm Moving to Colorado...

Maybe anyway. I live in Northern California at the moment and I am thinking of moving to Colorado. The thing is I want to be within 40 minutes to an hour of good mountain biking. Most likely I will be moving to the Greely/Ft. Collins area. I have no idea what the trails are like around there. I would appreciate a quick idea of kind of rides are in the area. I ride XC, but love a good downhill. Thanks.

slow
    No riding in Greeley. Great riding in Ft Collins and Loveland. Ride from town in Ft C. FC is a very bike friendly town. Tons of good riding within 30-60 minutes. Front range riding involves plenty of climbing, but you are rewarded with nice descents. Search this forum for Horsetooth, Devil's Backbone, Blue Sky, Coyote Ridge, Lory State Park. You should come up with good info and some photos.

cheeseburger in paradise
    Quote Originally Posted by sgltrak
    No riding in Greeley. Great riding in Ft Collins and Loveland. Ride from town in Ft C. FC is a very bike friendly town. Tons of good riding within 30-60 minutes. Front range riding involves plenty of climbing, but you are rewarded with nice descents. Search this forum for Horsetooth, Devil's Backbone, Blue Sky, Coyote Ridge, Lory State Park. You should come up with good info and some photos.
    I'll second that. Don't move to Greeley if you want to be close to the trails. There are some great trails accessible from within the Fort Collins (no driving) and many, many more miles of trails accessible about 6-7 miles from the city (short drive or ride). Then you have many more miles of trail up the Poudre (30-45 minute drive), Red Feather (1 hour drive) and Curt Gowdy (90 minute drive).
    singlecrack

Thread Terrorist
    Fort Collins = bike
    Greeley = gangs

BTW, don't tell anyone you're from California.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I'm from norcal, russian river area, now live in evergreen CO. You do NOT want to move to Greeley (unless you are from the I-5 corridor, then you might feel at home). Try Fort Collins if you want a town or even west of there, if you are willing to commute. Notable areas would be poudre river/park, drake (up river from loveland), maybe masonville. I am not totally familiar with the area so don't know the trails, I live south from there. If you are a resort skier, you will have a bit of a drive to ski. If you like bc, then you will be fine. If your soley into mtb, you will be able to ride every month if you are motivated.

mtbr member
    You don't want to move to Greeley unles you LOVE the smell of rotten cowsh!t, and/or you are an illegal alien from Mexico.

You like bikes and mtn's, you will like Fort Collins, and maybe Boulder if you're freaky like that.
    Last edited by rky_mtn_srfr; 10-16-2007 at 12:52 PM.

Living the High Life
    Quote Originally Posted by rky_mtn_srfr
    You like bikes and mtn's, you will like Fort Collins, and maybe Boulder if you're freaky like that.
    Screw Boulder, those trust fund kids are annoying. I was up there last Thursday and couldn't believe the bikes people were just riding around campus, no wonder there's so many thefts.

Of course their parents will just buy them a new one. Not that I'm jaded or anything, I just paid my own way through school

mtbr member
    jeez not another dead horse debate over Boulder, it was already stupid the last time

Bodhisattva
    I work in Greeley and live in the east end of Loveland.

As others have said....the only thing to ride in Greeley are the bike paths.

There are amazing trails in Loveland & Fort Collins.

If you need to be in Greeley daily, but want to be closer to the trails, look at Windsor, Loveland, Ft.Collins or Johnstown.

Living the High Life
    Quote Originally Posted by rky_mtn_srfr
    jeez not another dead horse debate over Boulder, it was already stupid the last time
    Sorry, I was just there recently.

[SIZE="1"]screw boulder[/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by IndecentExposure

best advice so far

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by The Squeaky Wheel

If you need to be in Greeley daily, but want to be closer to the trails, look at Windsor, Loveland, Ft.Collins or Johnstown.
    I'll second that. I live in Windsor and work in Fort Collins. Devil's Backbone is about a 20 minute drive early in the morning. Horsetooth Mountain Park, Coyote Ridge and Lory State Park are about a half hour from Windsor. The trails up by Curt Gowdy are great and are a little over an hour with no traffic on the way up there. The only downside of this area is the Uranium mine that will be coming to town so you might want to reconsider moving to this area.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Fort Collins = bike
    Greeley = gangs

LOL - yeah, all the stuff you guys have said about Greeley is pretty much what everyone who I met who lives there has told me. Most of them are like "man I wish Greeley was more like Ft. Collins." Though I did have some good times there.

Thanks for the good trail suggestions, I'll check those out. It seems like the further west I move the better off I'll be.

I'm sure my home state will be my dark secret. hehe.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    I just moved here from the Sacto. area and almost all the trails I've found near Ft. Collins are very rough. I would say a free ride bike would be most appropiate. I've found more large square edge rocks than almost any of the trails near Tahoe. I would rate them rougher than Downeville or even Grouse Ridge north of I80.
    doug