Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Mar 2009

So, hypothetically, now could be a not so bad time to....

ride a bike in a Wilderness area? I mean, theoretically speaking of course, if one had a certain place where they were not normally allowed to ride because of government restrictions, but there was no one to enforce those restrictions, they might see this as a chance to ride in that place. Right? (our local ranger district has closed down indefinitely)

Not that I personally would ever do such a thing, nor could I think of a single place where I would want to ride illegally....

But just trying to find an upside to the whole government shut down thing.

Now could not be so bad a time to remember the Sedona 5.

The Sedona 's 5's Excellent Adventure - Page 1 - News - Phoenix - Phoenix New Times

Why would you own 100 Yugos when you could own 1 Porsche? - Rumpfy

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by ameybrook View Post

The Sedona 's 5's Excellent Adventure - Page 1 - News - Phoenix - Phoenix New Times
    Great story, but a National Park, I'm talking about Wilderness areas. Either way, not saying that it's a great idea, but it is an idea.

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by bipolarbear View Post
    Great story, but a National Park, I'm talking about Wilderness areas. Either way, not saying that it's a great idea, but it is an idea.
    Well, people do what they will but your post illustrates why a lot of the people who lots of MTBers say are "haters" think MTBers are not trustworthy or legitimate partners to work with on land management issues or why we need cops in the first place "these guys wont respect the rules without adult supervision" and that sort of thing.

Oh yeah, and Forest Service LEOs are still on the job. I'm not sure about this but since Wilderness Rangers are also (among other things) LEOs, they might still be on the job too.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bipolarbear View Post
    ...not saying that it's a great idea, but it is an idea.
    I recall a saying from the movie Sunshine, "...this is a **** idea! This is a really **** idea!" ~ Capa
    Naysayers never apologize. Critics go to their grave thinking everyone else is wrong.
    ╭∩╮( º.º )╭∩╮

Addicted to Dirt
    Have you ever seen anyone (besides the wilderness sign) enforcing a wilderness boundary? I haven't...

Except when I'm driving
    Mar 2012
    One part of me wants to be a good mountain biker and hope that there is a better relationship with the authorities that be in the future, preferably before I'm too old to ride. The other "Sedona 5" part of me thinks this will never happen and might as well be the rebels everyone thinks we are and just poach away. If more and more trails/areas are closed off like the recent Pike NF closers I would expect poaching to increase. If there is no easy access for people to ride their bikes in the woods poaching will be there.

So for now I'll be a good little mountain biker and follow big daddy's rules in hopes that our relationships are getting better unless one of you has a big bag of shrooms and weed than maybe I'll change my mind!

I just hope the local trails open up soon and access to them.
    I'm bored and at work or else I would be riding

Team Velveeta™
    Quote Originally Posted by ingluis View Post
    Have you ever seen anyone (besides the wilderness sign) enforcing a wilderness boundary? I haven't...
    I saw USFS folks in the Maroon Bells-Snowmass Wilderness once on a hike up Horsethief Gulch.

Honestly, I don't know of any trails in Wilderness in Colorado that would be that much fun on a bike. Elsewhere maybe, other states... but not any I know of in CO.

I think the arbitrary moratorium on bikes in Wilderness is wrong and I'd like to see it changed, but poaching them while that moratorium is in place isn't going to help the cause. IMBA lobbies pretty hard to challenge the idea that Wilderness == No Bikes. Things could change, but pissing off the land managers while they are home not being paid probably could make some people pretty hot.
    Tom Purvis - Salida, CO - http://teamvelveeta.tom-purvis.com

"I like my wimmen like I like my beer--cold and bitter!"

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by ingluis View Post
    Don't know about where you live but in the Gore on hiking and backpacking excursions I've seen rangers patrolling the trails. I know for fact that more than a few people have been ticketed (and had their front wheels confiscated and held till they paid their fine or went through the court) for riding bikes in the Eagles Nest.

I am in no way advocating for this... but getting into the Weiminuche north of Durango would be amazing. Purgatory to Vallecito Lake would be the first ride I'd do.

Almost Human
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by zrm View Post
    Well, people do what they will but your post illustrates why a lot of the people who lots of MTBers say are "haters" think MTBers are not trustworthy or legitimate partners to work with on land management issues or why we need cops in the first place "these guys wont respect the rules without adult supervision" and that sort of thing.
    I think you should give parks workers more credit than that. Most of them have real world experience showing hikers are most often the violators of any closure. Bike riders are a pretty good group overall and good to work with IMHO.

The bad boy image is media hype/advertising the hikers use against us. Yeah, there are people in parks with political agendas will use it against bikes too, but I never really saw damage from bikes that wasn't started first by hikers.

Centennial Cone is a perfect example. Every time I go past the closure I see footprints leading in, not tire tracks.

Addicted to Dirt
    Don't know about where you live but in the Gore on hiking and backpacking excursions I've seen rangers patrolling the trails. I know for fact that more than a few people have been ticketed (and had their front wheels confiscated and held till they paid their fine or went through the court) for riding bikes in the Eagles Nest.
    Interesting. I've never needed a ranger to stop me from riding wilderness areas, however arbitrary that law might be.

friend of Apex

what about the many untold stories of those who did it, and got away with it. We may never know their harrowing tales.
    the drugs made me realize it's not about the drugs

My leg feels funny
    Quote Originally Posted by WKD-RDR View Post
    what about the many untold stories of those who did it, and got away with it. We may never know their harrowing tales.
    You've convinced me, I'll gopro it and post my excursions when I'm finished. I'm sure I'll be fine.

Don't forget to Strava it. That'd be a KOM to have.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by TomP View Post

Honestly, I don't know of any trails in Wilderness in Colorado that would be that much fun on a bike. Elsewhere maybe, other states... but not any I know of in CO.
    Your lack of imagination disappoints me... there are $HITLOADS of Wilderness trails that would simply be fantastic to ride...

friend of Apex
    Quote Originally Posted by SkaredShtles View Post
    ... there are $HITLOADS of Wilderness trails that would simply be fantastic to ride...

^^^
    the drugs made me realize it's not about the drugs

mtbr member
    I, for one, would love to ride the Rough 'n Tumbling creek loop in the Buffalo Peaks Wilderness. I've backpacked it, but think it would make a great XC trail.

mtbr member
    [QUOTE=TomP;10721142

[/QUOTE]

Not having to detour 6 times around wilderness on the CT would be awesome. Especially the Lost Creek wilderness.

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I am in no way advocating for this... but getting into the Weiminuche north of Durango would be amazing. Purgatory to Vallecito Lake would be the first ride I'd do.
    I've never let the wilderness designation stop me - I've hiked and backpacked it several times. Didn't really miss my bike either.

Arriving Somewhere
    Mar 2007
    I've never let the wilderness designation stop me - I've hiked and backpacked it several times. Didn't really miss my bike either.
    Sanctimonious much?

Arriving Somewhere
    Mar 2007
    And...went through a completely arbitrary closure to hike Little Beaver and Fish Creek trails in the Comanche Peak wilderness...great "wilderness" BTW with the power lines, old double track, and cow evidence...these trails would be awesome to bike.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by m3rb View Post
    Sanctimonious much?
    +1 that dude does nothing on here but hate on mtn bikers.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by TomP View Post
    +1.
    Gone are the days we stopped to decide,
    Where we should go,
    We just ride...

mtbr member
    DOW, and USFS Rangers are out looking for hunters, fall isn't the best time to poach wilderness, mid summer, in the long evening, with lights to back up, would be my choice.

Hypothetically, of course

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast