Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

So the Front Range might be

our new home next year. Can you recommend a general area to look at property that keeps us within striking distance of riding and skiing/boarding? Currently XC but kinda interested in AM. Thanks for any input,
    Greg

slow
    Welcome. Lots of threads on the subject here in Front Range. Search: Golden, Ft Collins, Loveland, Boulder, Lyons, Colo Spgs, where to live, etc.

I like Ft Collins, but it is a bit far from the lift served snow sports (and bike riding).

Bad Andy
    Property? Or a house?
    If you are talking about a house, then Golden is the place to be (IMHO) if you wanna be close to Denver, front range xc riding, AND the ski areas. North Evergreen would be good too.
    Check out these threads:
    More where to move questions?
    Living in Golden
    I'm sure others will chime in.
    Ignore all the goofy comments - they will be giving you a hard time. A lot of people in Colo seem to want to close and lock the gates and not allow anyone else in (once they get here!!))

Rolling
    Got money listens to NIN and lives in Boulder. Eldora is 45 minutes away and the biking is good.

Got more money lives in the resorts in them thar hills, Keystone, or Vail area.

But it depends on where your job is...if you need a job.

mtbr member
    Thanks for your replies. We would be looking for a house, something preferably with just a little bit of distance between us and our neighbors. A somewhat wooded area would be great. We've got some flexibilty as far as being tied to a job location since my wife works from home.
    Thanks again

OMG!
    you should change your name to Gaper. Just kidding man. You might look at Evergreen- in between denver and the big mountains.

Singletrack Daydreamer
    Yep, Genesee, Evergreen, Bergen Park & Idaho Springs would fit the bill. Genesee, Evergreen and Bergen Park are all more expensive, Idaho Springs is further up the mountain, but more reasonably priced in many cases.

Nederland is another consideration, west of Boulder.

Thread Terrorist
    Quote Originally Posted by Gasper
    Thanks for your replies. We would be looking for a house, something preferably with just a little bit of distance between us and our neighbors. A somewhat wooded area would be great.
    Well, for distance, and good price, you'll be living in Aurora. IF you want wooded (every outsider wants it), you'll have a good commute with a 1.5M house, or a 1.5 hour commute and 400k house. Good Luck, you're criteria is just about what everyone here wants too.

Golden is nice, although not a wooded.

IE

Rolling
    Quote Originally Posted by Gasper
    ...something preferably with just a little bit of distance between us and our neighbors. ..
    This is a favorite laugh of mine. But if you mean more than 3 feet from house to house, I understand.

I have friends who hated their neighbors here in the city, so they moved to the mountains get acres-- and away from the neighbors and problems.

But weird how the result was the same--or maybe worse. More land but more sensitive neighbors. Dogs running loose because since their neighbors were in the mountains, it seemed appropriate to let them roam. It seemed like their conflicts actually increased because their expectations of solitude increased.

Singletrack Daydreamer
    Might be a bit of an exaggeration with this depressed housing market. Try www (dot) recolorado (dot) com and search for Evergreen. I had to narrow the search when I put in 3-4 bedroom between 250k & 450k because there were over 50 listings. Cheap, no, but reasonable for Evergreen.

Big Boned
    Well, we live in Dumont, near Idaho Springs. We have a little over a half acre, we're not right on top of our neighbors, but we're not that far from them either -- but eventually, we hope to own the 7 acres behind our house, too. 2,000 sf home, 3 bedroom, 2.5 baths, furnished rec room, hot tub, huge garage, right on a creek -- we paid well under $300K. Property taxes are dirt cheap up here (Clear Creek County), but it is a little more rural than, say, Evergreen or Bergen. Some of our neighbors are a tad, umm, rustic.

We're 20 minutes from the lifts at Loveland, about 40 to Mary Jane, and I can ride some pretty cool trails from my front door.

My wife works down by Coors Field, and it takes about 45-50 minutes to get there in the mornings, all highway driving. The only hassle is if there's a snow storm, but she has the luxury of working from home if it comes to it.

There are lots of places on the market in the Dumont / Empire area. MIght be worth a look-see. We like it here. And we need more mountain bikers in the area...
    Never rub another man's rhubarb.

skillz to pay billz
    Quote Originally Posted by rockymtnway

Nederland is another consideration, west of Boulder.
    Ned is great, 20 minutes from boulder, 50 minutes from denvah, and all the trails you could need within a short distance plus many more within an hour. There's even a ski area in town.

And all the hippies and mountain folk you could need too.

Thread Terrorist
    Quote Originally Posted by nOOby
    Ned is great, 20 minutes from boulder, 50 minutes from denvah, and all the trails you could need within a short distance plus many more within an hour. There's even a ski area in town.

And all the hippies and mountain folk you could need too.
    I saw a funny bumper sticker while navigating through the horrible Boulder traffic last night, it read:

Nederland: A dog in every subaru

I had a chuckle...

Then I realized that Nederland is truely where the 'real' hippies and mountain people of Boulder moved to... after the high-end yuppies took it over.

Yappy little dog!

Evergreen / Morrison / Connifer

Trees, riding, and close to the snow. Prices can vary from low 300's to seven figures.

Golden was my compromise. I wanted Evergreen and the other half wanted suburban hell.

Welcome to the best state in the country! When you get here, check out Team Evergreen (www.teamevergreen.org) for a great club.

----------
    STIFLER'S MOM LIVE AT THE BUFFALO ROSE! NOVEMBER 17 @ 9:00

Thread Terrorist
    Gasper,
    Do a search on 'Golden' in this forum... we've had the debates before.

I've lived in Boulder, Golden, Evergrenn, Golden (in that order). I absolutely love Golden and couldn't think of a better place to live around here. But that's my opinion.

Evergreen is beautiful, but its not a mountain town per se. There's a down town, but its so tight that to live there is extremely hard. Most of the properties are what you are looking for however. Larger lots, say .5 to 10 acres on the average. We found a place 8 minutes south of evergreen and 10 minutes north of Conifer for 200k, that was 1998 dollars. Not a great house, but a fun starter. Our neighbors were of the type that didn' want to socialize (Obviously). The driving got to us, we drove everywhere! I rode less and rock climbed less when I was up there than I do now (in Golden).
    That said, we had great mountain views and aspens in our back yard.

If you priorities are space, trees, and mountains, you'll find it up there. If your budget is less than 400k, you'll have limited selection, or will have to have one hell of a commute. I take it your wife doesn't like to socialize.

Look at where you have to work and weigh the differences between "work" commute vs. "Play" commute. Get a bike map (lattitude 40) and learn where the riding spots are and put them into your decision.

I'd say most of the Residents in Evergreen Live IN their homes. Where as we (in Golden) live out of them.

Good luck!

skillz to pay billz
    Quote Originally Posted by IndecentExposure

Nederland: A dog in every subaru

I had a chuckle...

Then I realized that Nederland is truely where the 'real' hippies and mountain people of Boulder moved to... after the high-end yuppies took it over.
    you laugh but it's all true, bwahahhaha.

It's not for everyone but I'm lovin' it. modest house, 1.3 acres, dog run, two car garage, hot tub all for a bit under 300k.

I couldn't imagine living in Colorado and living out on the plains.

Thread Terrorist
    Quote Originally Posted by schnauzers
    Trees, riding, and close to the snow. Prices can vary from low 300's to seven figures.
    I did a search... wow, there are more houses for 300 to 350 than there used to be! I'm not going to make conclusions, but there's a house in there that was on the market for the same price back in 1998 as it is now! Maybe its the gas prices!

Thread Terrorist
    Quote Originally Posted by nOOby
    you laugh but it's all true, bwahahhaha.

It's not for everyone but I'm lovin' it. modest house, 1.3 acres, dog run, two car garage, hot tub all for a bit under 300k.

I couldn't imagine living in Colorado and living out on the plains.
    I agree! This is why I live in Golden!

mtbr member
    IMHO? Westmost Arvada, Westmost Lakewood, Golden and Evergreen. Close to major highways, roads and all things Colorado.
    Peace out and stay cool!

Arrrgggghhh!!
    My friends that bought in Evergreen and need to relocate to MD are sending in their keys to the bank cause they can't sell. Prices are going to drop drastically in that area.

http://www.recolorado.com/Search/pro...number=563940#
    Last edited by BBOC; 11-08-2007 at 09:13 AM.
    Give 'da people 'da air.

Thread Terrorist
    Quote Originally Posted by BBOC
    My friends that bought in Evergreen and need to relocate to MD are sending in their keys to the bank cause they can't sell. Prices are going to drop drastically in that area.

http://www.recolorado.com/Search/pro...number=563940#
    Good time to be a buyer though...

Bad when gas prices are heading to the 5 dollar mark within a year.

mtbr member

I really appreciate everyone's

input on this and taking a minute to shed some light. Both me and my wife live to recreate so being outside of the house is very important. We'd also like to be able to get to snow at least once a week during the season. I'm thinking biking is limited after the snow falls? Maybe Evergreen is farther than I think to Denver and some of the other things we'd like to get to? Mapquest showed 50 minutes with traffic but that could be optomistic. We'll take a closer at Golden, Arvada, and Lakewood.

Yappy little dog!
    Quote Originally Posted by IndecentExposure
    Good time to be a buyer though...

Bad when gas prices are heading to the 5 dollar mark within a year.
    Unless you can work in Evergreen. Probably more Chiros per square inch than most towns for that reason. .

Singletrack Daydreamer
    I think last winter took its toll, too. I've lived in Colorado since '74, and never saw a patch of time that long when it was that cold and snowy. Our boss had just moved from Wisconsin to Conifer and was seriously thinking of moving back because the winters were milder.

Overall, though, the market between $275k to $500k seems dead. One of my neighbors has had his house on the market going on 20 months. I hate to see the foreclosures, but realistically, prices couldn't keep going up the way they were in the 90s forever and we all knew it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

More info needed

You'll get some great advice on here if you give enough information...

- Price range (under $400K eliminates Boulder, for example)
    - Location of employment
    - Commute tolerance and driving skill in snow
    - Snow/weather tolerance (Example: Golden city and Wondervu (altitude 8600) both have Golden mailing addresses, but the difference in climate is as if Wondervu was 600 miles further north).
    - School age kids or plans?
    - Property size and type ('just a little bit of distance' to me is 1/4 mile, to you it might be 50 feet)
    - Do you need quick access to urban stuff like foo foo food or 'fashion'?
    - Do you mind driving to trails?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast