Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

So Evergreen looks good for

the wife and I to relocate to. I know this topic has been touched on "briefly" by the forum but are we going to lose our minds trying to go skiing/boarding on the weekends via the I-70? I'm all ears on where to make some turns,
    Gasper

skillz to pay billz
    does this mean your changing your name to Gaper. J/K

welcome, you could drive the peak to peak to eldora

mtbr member
    Or just ski loveland! The BC has less people but that is getting worse also. I lived in Evergreen for 7 years and the drive to the mountains is bad on weekends compared to weekdays but doable. It's funny in the past few years it seems the weekend traffic is now Wed-Mon.

friend of Apex

Nope

Quote Originally Posted by nOOby
    welcome, you could drive the peak to peak to eldora
    Hmmmm, do they have winter activities at this place you speek of......
    the drugs made me realize it's not about the drugs

mtbr member
    Loveland looks interesting and if Google Maps is correct it would be about 48 miles away. So what do you think timewise for a typical Saturday trip ?

skillz to pay billz
    Quote Originally Posted by Gasper
    Loveland looks interesting and if Google Maps is correct it would be about 48 miles away. So what do you think timewise for a typical Saturday trip ?

at best one hour, at worst 3 or more hours. Traffic can slow to a stop on bluebird days with dry roads for no reason. go figure

Thread Terrorist
    I lived in Evergreen for 2 years. Whereas the beauty of being in the mountains was nice, the traffic in and around the Evergreen area was the worst in the front range. If you're looking for cute mountain town living, you won't find much of it in Evergreen; its mostly rural area's very spread out. Most people are hermits and don't want to be bothered much, so not much social structure (some, but not much).

As for close skiing. You need to be very near the I-70 corridor. If you look up houses in Evergreen, most of the cheaper ones are based upon their commute to 285 or I-70. The farther back, the cheaper it gets. We found a nice starter home between Conifer and Evergreen for around 200k (1998 dollars). However, it was 20 minutes to I-70.

There are places that are much closer and probably reasonably priced. If you're looking for a commute to Denver and the Ski Resorts (which is extremely popular), you should stick to Genessee, Bergen Park (its an evergreen address), or floyd hill. When adverse winter hits, its gonna be hell.

BTW, be prepared to drive, drive and do more driving.... just a nature of the beast. More of the lower end (500 and below) homes are going up for sale due to the increase in gas prices (average commute to Downtown Denver is an hour). More affordable homes are poping up.
    Golden Bike Park Group

Peak Cycles Gravity Team & Bikeparts.com
    Trestle Bike Park

Thread Terrorist
    the wife and I to relocate to. I know this topic has been touched on "briefly" by the forum but are we going to lose our minds trying to go skiing/boarding on the weekends via the I-70? I'm all ears on where to make some turns,
    Gasper
    BTW, if you love traffic, 1-4 hour traffic jams up and down from the resorts, then I-70 on the weekends is for you!

I do not like skiing much anymore, mostly due to the traffic that goes with the Denver mass commuting up for the weekend days. Not my thing. Go up on the weekdays, and now you've got it made!
    Golden Bike Park Group

Trestle Bike Park

I licked a frog.
    I've lived here (Evergreen) for about 12 years now. all I will say is, if you don't have kids, consider living somewhere else. I'll have to agree with IndecentExposure - there's not much of a social structure here unless you're involved with the schools and therefore "forced" into some community participation.

you'll find that a lot of the folks 'round here only come out of the hills for bullets & tobacco. of course the other end of the spectrum is well represented too - those who are only seasonal Evergreen residents and spend the rest of their time jet setting around the world to any of their many vacation homes.

oh, and don't get me started on the mountain lions...

Thread Terrorist
    Quote Originally Posted by LyleCrumbstorm
    I've lived here (Evergreen) for about 12 years now. all I will say is, if you don't have kids, consider living somewhere else. I'll have to agree with IndecentExposure - there's not much of a social structure here unless you're involved with the schools and therefore "forced" into some community participation.
    I would say "If you have kids, don't consider living in Evergreen". We have many friends in Evergreen with kids, and all they do is drive them down here (Golden, Denver, etc) for activities. Plus its hard for the younger kiddo's to get with their friends.

We moved to Golden because of the driving-kiddo-social structure (amoungst the fact that we can Bike more, climb more, and have the same commute to the mountains).
    Golden Bike Park Group

Trestle Bike Park

Your retarded
    Man, I grew up in Conifer, Evergreen's poorer little brother, and I loved it. I would have hated living in the city. Heck, I hate it now. I'd rather be back there, or even further west.

As a foothills kid find ways to meet with friends and your "activities" are usually the very things that you folks here call your "hobbies". I remember mountain biking wasn't a hobby back then, it was the tool you used to transverse the game trails to get to your buddy's house in the next housing group over... which ironically enough took the same amount of time by car as it did trail riding through the woods. Not to mention that your hangout spot was the rock outcropping at the top of the local hilltop. Trees were ladders to the sky or the framework for forts. Those were the days.

I hope to give my kids the same experience of growing up in the hills away from the city.
    A trail thatís too difficult wouldnít exist because itíd never be used. But, trails can exist thatíre too difficult for you.

skillz to pay billz
    believe it or not I had the same experience growing up in the oakland hills, Of course mountain bikes didn't really exist then so we rode BMX. Those were the days.

a dad
    Jan 2004
    i would second the golden suggestion..

I live in nw denver and i am in the process of trying to find a house in golden. my biggest issue is that my immediate neighborhood lacks kids for my kids to play with and that is just kind of luck of the draw i guess..

I think golden is a bit more of a tight community with more families (i work in golden as well), the schools are better (i teach) and of course the riding is better..

checking out a house tomorrow!
    BBZ

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy - Benjamin Franklin

mtbr member
    I'm with you guys on living in Evergreen that's why the wife and I left a few years back. It seems 90% of the time I was driving down to golden just to eat if I got out of work after 6pm. At the time I was in my late 20's and the social scene was zip. I worked and lived in Bergen Park which in the past few years is getting bigger but you still will be driving down the hill for most things. Golden would be my pick also.

mutaullyassuredsuffering

I love it...

Unlike the others, I live there and love it. I don't really care about a social stucture or "hanging out". I could care less about the bar scene, and since I work in Denver, I can stop in Golden and get whatever I need on the way home. I go Skiing early enough that the traffic doesn't catch me, and I leave early enough to fly back before it gets bad. I can get a 4 hour MTB ride (with 30 min of road in the middle) from my door. I can hike, snowshoe, or go skating within 5 min, and I'm 15 min from the interstate or morrison.

I wouldn't trade it for anything. I lived in Golden for 6 years and enjoyed it as well, but I won't be heading back down anytime soon...
    Free will is an illusion, people will always choose the perceived path of greatest pleasure.

a dad
    Jan 2004
    [QUOTE=used2Bhard]Unlike the others, I live there and love it. I don't really care about a social stucture or "hanging out". I could care less about the bar scene, and since I work in Denver, I can stop in Golden and get whatever I need on the way home. I go Skiing early enough that the traffic doesn't catch me, and I leave early enough to fly back before it gets bad. I can get a 4 hour MTB ride (with 30 min of road in the middle) from my door. I can hike, snowshoe, or go skating within 5 min, and I'm 15 min from the interstate or morrison.

curious if you have kids?
    BBZ

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by used2Bhard
    Unlike the others, I live there and love it. I don't really care about a social stucture or "hanging out". I could care less about the bar scene, and since I work in Denver, I can stop in Golden and get whatever I need on the way home. I go Skiing early enough that the traffic doesn't catch me, and I leave early enough to fly back before it gets bad. I can get a 4 hour MTB ride (with 30 min of road in the middle) from my door. I can hike, snowshoe, or go skating within 5 min, and I'm 15 min from the interstate or morrison.

I wouldn't trade it for anything. I lived in Golden for 6 years and enjoyed it as well, but I won't be heading back down anytime soon...

And that is Evergreen in a nut shell and why the town is the way it is. I'm not about the bar scene myself but do like to hang out with people. Lots of people live in Evergreen and work down the hill so they just do the things they need to before they head back home. It's crazy I know many people that live in Evergreen and refuse to use home depot or wal-mart but when down the hill they use them LOL. People talk about the small town shops and how they like them but let me tell you it's bull. I ran a shop ski/outdoor for years that closed because the commuters would just shop down town after work.

mutaullyassuredsuffering

Local Shops

Quote Originally Posted by MBX5
    And that is Evergreen in a nut shell and why the town is the way it is. I'm not about the bar scene myself but do like to hang out with people. Lots of people live in Evergreen and work down the hill so they just do the things they need to before they head back home. It's crazy I know many people that live in Evergreen and refuse to use home depot or wal-mart but when down the hill they use them LOL. People talk about the small town shops and how they like them but let me tell you it's bull. I ran a shop ski/outdoor for years that closed because the commuters would just shop down town after work.

I only buy from my LBS in Bergen, get all my food at Kings and Vitamin Cottage in Bergen, Buy my gas at the Bradley in Evergreen, Eat at Fiesta Jalisco way too much, get my coffee at the little stand next to the bank or Camp Grounds, Eat Breakfast downtown E-Green, buy all my home remodeling project needs at Home Depot off Evergreen Parkway, Pry my wife out of Walmart, work out in the Evergreen rec Centers, get my skis tuned at Mussers... Heck i even use the oil change places up there... I don't really think I am hurting the local economy...

It's just nice to know that whatever you cannot get in town is on my way home.
    Free will is an illusion, people will always choose the perceived path of greatest pleasure.

Your retarded
    Like hookers.
    A trail thatís too difficult wouldnít exist because itíd never be used. But, trails can exist thatíre too difficult for you.

mutaullyassuredsuffering

Little Guy

[QUOTE=billybobzia]

curious if you have kids?
    Yup, the little 3 yr old in my Avatar. Just starting Pre-School. We seem to have an infestation of 3 and 4 year olds on my street.

I do feel there is a lack of community. Most people don't know their neighbors...or care to. I guess I found the same thing in Golden, Longmont, and In the Springs though. I'm an extravert, so I just talk to everybody. I amost feel like it's more a Colorado thing sometimes. I'm a native, and my wife is from Philly. She always comments on how antisocial it feels in CO compared to back east. I think it's a product of being a state full of transplants....How many families have lived in the same town 3 generations around here. some...but not many....

mutaullyassuredsuffering

Lmao

Quote Originally Posted by Nickle
    Like hookers.

Yup, they are a bit scarce up in the hills!

I licked a frog.
    woops, I just reread my earlier post and it sounded like I was slightly dissing Evergreen. that was unintentional. Evergreen rocks!

my kids have many friends here in Evergreen and we enjoy the lack of crime, pollution and traffic.

Inflexable...
    Gasper
    I do this almost every weekend and don't really see what the problem is. Get up early, beat the traffic, leave earlier than everyone else, and get home. If you are at Golden by 7am the 70 is not a problem.

Of course, I am normally at work by 6:30am so getting up and leaving a little earlier is not a big deal.

I hear Alma and Fairplay are about ready for a boom...
    Tact is for people not witty enough to be sarcastic...

a dad
    Jan 2004
    [QUOTE=used2Bhard]
    Quote Originally Posted by billybobzia

Yup, the little 3 yr old in my Avatar. Just starting Pre-School. We seem to have an infestation of 3 and 4 year olds on my street.

I do feel there is a lack of community. Most people don't know their neighbors...or care to. I guess I found the same thing in Golden, Longmont, and In the Springs though. I'm an extravert, so I just talk to everybody. I amost feel like it's more a Colorado thing sometimes. I'm a native, and my wife is from Philly. She always comments on how antisocial it feels in CO compared to back east. I think it's a product of being a state full of transplants....How many families have lived in the same town 3 generations around here. some...but not many....
    i want to live on your street.. i have a 3 1/2 year old and 6 year old..

i really would like a neighborhood with a bit of community.. seems like everyone sits around inside all the time..drives me crazy..
    BBZ

mtbr member
    I only buy from my LBS in Bergen, get all my food at Kings and Vitamin Cottage in Bergen, Buy my gas at the Bradley in Evergreen, Eat at Fiesta Jalisco way too much, get my coffee at the little stand next to the bank or Camp Grounds, Eat Breakfast downtown E-Green, buy all my home remodeling project needs at Home Depot off Evergreen Parkway, Pry my wife out of Walmart, work out in the Evergreen rec Centers, get my skis tuned at Mussers... Heck i even use the oil change places up there... I don't really think I am hurting the local economy...

Wasn't trying to say you hurt the local economy. You my friend are not in the majority of local evergreen people supporting local shops. It's a great place to live for a mountain feel but yet close to Denver. You even said "I can stop in Golden and get whatever I need on the way home." Oh and how about the movie theater LOL what a joke. I worked at a shop that had high school kids for winter help and I know for a fact they drove or got rides down the hill every chance they could because of things to do. The outdoor rec. stuff is at your door but not everyone will want to do that all the time. Just trying to show the other side of things not trying to pick fight with you or other locals in Evegreen.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast