mtbr member

So....any last minute advice for a Flatlander coming your way??

Making the trek up the long slope westward and figured I'd ask if anyone has any last minute advice for an intermediate rider on a cro-mo SS 29er??

I've already been directed toward which trails to hit in the Frisco area, but just curious if anyone would like to give their $0.02 to a Kansas native riding in the mountains for the first time.

I'll pretty much be solo as my wife won't be down for much more than some paved, easy paths. Is that a bad idea, riding by ones self? I do it all the time around KC, but CO is a different animal.

Many thanks in advance!

Brian
    www.getbusylivin.org
    http://www.prairiefireapparel.com

Guardian 2.0
    Redline Monocog Flight 29er SS (for now)

Agent of tang
    Aug 2005
    Well, riding solo isn't ideal, but you gotta do what you gotta do. But seeing as how you will be in the high country, my advice would be to carry a good sized pack, always have a rain jacket, a fleece hat may not be a bad idea, plenty of food/water. When a rain storm blows in, it can get mighty cold in a hurry. Like bone-chilling cold; nothing like Kansas in the summer.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Session up and down the steepest hills you have in your area. It's all about the climbing here.
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

Chillaxin 'n Chilcotin!
    You MIGHT consider spending a day at Keystone and hit the lifts. You could rally the green (Let it Ride) on your SS and get 4+ runs in on it. That would maximize your mileage and your fun factor since you wouldn't have to climb (much).

Another good choice is to have your wife shuttle you on the Tiger Run section of the Colorado Trail between Frisco and Breckenridge. She would drive you up Tiger Road heading in the direction of Georgia Pass and then you pick up the Colorado Trail there. You would descend back down to the RV park from there and then either ride back into Frisco or take the "Freeride" (the free Summit County bus that has a bike mount on the front). That section of trails is one of the most perfect pieces of singletrack in the state (IMO) and is not a ride to be missed--it has super flow!

mtbr member
    Ride slow and enjoy the view, altitude only really effects how fast you can go not if you can ride here.

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Don't listen to anyone who starts a sentence with "Do yourself a favor"

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by kristian View Post

Another good choice is to have your wife shuttle you on the Tiger Run section of the Colorado Trail between Frisco and Breckenridge. She would drive you up Tiger Road heading in the direction of Georgia Pass and then you pick up the Colorado Trail there. You would descend back down to the RV park from there and then either ride back into Frisco or take the "Freeride" (the free Summit County bus that has a bike mount on the front). That section of trails is one of the most perfect pieces of singletrack in the state (IMO) and is not a ride to be missed--it has super flow!
    This doesn't really save you much climbing and in fact the nice spin up Tiger Rd is a good warm up before hitting the long grind up to the top of the ridge.

Everyone handles altitude differently. I doesn't have that much to do with fitness. Just take it easy and go your own pace. Obviously the climbs are longer in CO but if you are reasonably fit you'll do it, just slowly.

You can go spend money to ride lifts at Keystone or Breck (Brecks lift served trails are very tame) but did you come to ride bikes or ride lifts?

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Warm up on the trails around the Frisco Penninsula, and hit up their bike park. This will allow you to do some shorter loops and get used to the altitude. Like others said, head over to Tiger road at do some loops on the CT and various other trails like Blair Witch and soda creek. Get a map and explore some loops.

I ride alone all the time and don't think twice about it. Just make sure you are prepared with a map/gps (I use my phone a lot) and proper attire and tools. Most trails in Summit are traveled enough that you are rarely "alone" anyway.

If you are worried though, there is a new mtb guide/tour service in Breck. Just read about it in the paper the other day. Breck Bike Guides ? Cycle Breck We are anything but ordinary.

i like rocks
    bring some chapstick.
    Tim M Hovey

IMBA CAMBr COMBA BMA
    Transition Bottlerocket
    Gary Fisher Rig
    Blk Mrkt MOB 4x
    1950 CJ3a
    1999 F350 PSD

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    If you go above tree line be sure to be down before noon. So start early!

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by euroford View Post
    bring some chapstick.
    This is really solid advice. Plus, drink more water than you think you need.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by zrm View Post
    Don't listen to anyone who starts a sentence with "Do yourself a favor"
    Do yourself a favor and listen to this guy.

lucky enough
    I'll reiterate water. Staying hydrated is key to dealing with high elevation. Sunscreen too is recommended as the sun is more intense at high elevations - less atmosphere means more of the sun's energy hits you.
    "Don't take life so serious, son . . . it ain't no how permanent." - Porky Pine

mtbr member
    Man! Great advice! Seriously, thanks to everyone for chiming in! I definitely feel informed.

I already carry more than I need in my pack. As a fireman, I tend to over prepare for the worst. Even in little old Kansas City, I carry an emergency blanket, water proof matches, head lamps, and even a whistle. You never know.

2 things I don't have but will, chapstick and rain gear!!

I'll probably forgo the lift rides. It sounds like fun, but I'll leave the bombing to the locals. I don't need to be cracking a frame or smacking a tree!

Thanks again!

See ya soon!
    www.getbusylivin.org
    http://www.prairiefireapparel.com

Guardian 2.0
    Redline Monocog Flight 29er SS (for now)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by FirefighterMTN View Post
    I'll probably forgo the lift rides. It sounds like fun, but I'll leave the bombing to the locals. I don't need to be cracking a frame or smacking a tree!
    Nah... If you go down the green (and some of the blue) trails, it'll be like a really flowy trail you'd ride around any of the Front Range parks. And yes, you will have to pedal on some of these.
    Naysayers never apologize. Critics go to their grave thinking everyone else is wrong.
    ╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

Chillaxin 'n Chilcotin!
    Quote Originally Posted by Pau11y View Post
    Nah... If you go down the green (and some of the blue) trails, it'll be like a really flowy trail you'd ride around any of the Front Range parks. And yes, you will have to pedal on some of these.
    Yeah, if Let It Ride wasn't on a ski hill, it would be considered one of the epic XC trails of Colorado but since it's at a ski resort people are intimidated. That's OK though--there are lots of fun trails up in Summit County that you have to earn.