Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Reamer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    713

    snowshoeing/backcountry access?

    Curious as to where one might be able to find free information regarding area's that are in the front range or close to go snowshoeing? I'm looking for area's that I can snowshoe in and snowboard out, and area's that are just fun for dinking around with my dog. My dog loves running about 15 feet out in front of me and hates the leash, as do I. I understand the leash laws for in town use, but looking for fun spots to go hiking or snowshoeing with my dog that allows him to roam without being shackled to the chain.

    I'm near Boulder, so anything within 45 min would be ideal.

    Thanks for positive feedback in advance!

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    1,124
    I've had some good rec snowshoeing up on West Magnolia, you can go as long or as short as you want. I'm not sure about the leash law thing, I think it's national forest land. You could also try the "dot" trails just up Magnolia road.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Reamer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    713
    Quote Originally Posted by brokefork
    I've had some good rec snowshoeing up on West Magnolia, you can go as long or as short as you want. I'm not sure about the leash law thing, I think it's national forest land. You could also try the "dot" trails just up Magnolia road.
    Hey thanks!

    I just found some info on Indian Peaks Wilderness ( http://www.fs.fed.us/r2/arnf/recreat...peaksmap.shtml ) Have you been on any of those trails? I'll check into WM

  4. #4
    Mojo0115
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    1,667
    Rollins Pass area is what you are looking for.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Reamer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    713
    Quote Originally Posted by zzsean
    Rollins Pass area is what you are looking for.
    Thanks bro, I'll be checking that out!

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    944
    Reamer,

    Before you head into the backcountry, you should make sure you are properly equipped. This mainly applies if you find yourself in and around avalanche terrain. If so, be preparred with a beacon, shovel, and probe and the knowledge to use them.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Reamer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    713
    Quote Originally Posted by Rontele
    Reamer,

    Before you head into the backcountry, you should make sure you are properly equipped. This mainly applies if you find yourself in and around avalanche terrain. If so, be preparred with a beacon, shovel, and probe and the knowledge to use them.
    Thanks, I'm actually just looking for spots that I can go hike around for fun and excersize. I grew up on a great hill boarding and skiing where we had to learn about backcountry precautionary measures and such in order to hike the ridge and access the goods. If I end up getting more involved with steeper terrain and packing the board, I'll be sure to look into that aspect further. Are there any places around that rent beacon's?

    Right now I'm just looking for spots to go dink around and get some fresh air in the snow with my dog. I appreciate the "lookin' out" though!

    ~Reamer

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: chillmolly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    159
    We usually run the dogs at West Mag, because it is so close to Boulder. There are no leash restrictions. We've also have gone to the Rollins Pass area, and up Peaceful Valley.

    Dogs + no leashes + snow = FUN

    Marcia

  9. #9
    Cycling, FTW!!
    Reputation: MarkoInTheBoat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    478
    Quote Originally Posted by Reamer
    Are there any places around that rent beacon's?
    Your dog would find you a lot quicker if you just wore some bacon.
    "When you pay $340 to do a 24 hour race you'll only have enough money to eat mustard sandwiches the rest of the year." -TD

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: bike21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    412
    West of the town of Eldorado toward 4th of July trail and areas west of there. Fun stuff!

  11. #11
    banned
    Reputation: 29Colossus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    4,163
    Quote Originally Posted by Rontele
    Reamer,

    Before you head into the backcountry, you should make sure you are properly equipped. This mainly applies if you find yourself in and around avalanche terrain. If so, be preparred with a beacon, shovel, and probe and the knowledge to use them.
    And always remember to wear a helmet when getting into and out of the shower as well. You could also carry a beacon, shovel, and a probe in the shower as well. It will do you about the same amount of good when you slip and break your hip in the shower, as it would when you are alone being compressed under fresh avalanche snow.


  12. #12
    DWF
    DWF is offline
    Non Dual Bliss
    Reputation: DWF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    6,240
    Quote Originally Posted by 29Colossus
    And always remember to wear a helmet when getting into and out of the shower as well. You could also carry a beacon, shovel, and a probe in the shower as well. It will do you about the same amount of good when you slip and break your hip in the shower, as it would when you are alone being compressed under fresh avalanche snow.

    You fill a much needed gap.
    A man must have enemies and places he is not welcome. In the end we are not only defined by our friends but those against us.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •