Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    VooDoo user.

Snow bike advice needed

So I took a nice long walk with the dogs today. Kickin around West Mag.
    I was actually amazed at my ability to find the trails beneath the snow. Beautiful day.
    Anyway while I was hikin about I started thinking about riding around during the winter months. So I want to start planning a winter bike build to take place before next winter.

I'm aware that Surley makes the Pugsley and it seems like a great bike for winter riding.

BUT is there are any other winter riding bikes out there? Hard to belive Surley is the only one.

Any help is appreciated.

mtbr member

what nice teeth you have
    here's another link,
    http://www.icebike.org/

skillz to pay billz
    lolz

Gaa-zee-raaaa!
    Quote Originally Posted by nOOby
    lolz

Funny, I just pulled the same pic from the site before I scrolled down to your post. WTF is wrong with that crack-head? That looks like the most hideously miserable time on a bike I've ever witnessed, and I've suffered through some pretty miserable CX races. Does anybody know the story that goes along with this pic?
    Now with more vitriol!

..ouch
    Funny, I thought it looked like a Nickle pic. Insane riding, no facial hair...

skillz to pay billz
    maybe black tights and foot covers would be more appropriate. absorb more heat

Your retarded
    Quote Originally Posted by thump
    Insane riding...
    Lie! Can't be me.
    Quote Originally Posted by thump
    ...no facial hair
    Truth. It's possible.

Homeboy above has much bigger, but small at the time of the photo smaller, balls than me. That there is straight up devotion with a double shot of stupidity for extra flavor.
    A trail thatís too difficult wouldnít exist because itíd never be used. But, trails can exist thatíre too difficult for you.

Which way? Uphill.

More than just the Pugsley

Sorry for coming late to the party, but there are more "snow bikes" than just the Pugsley.

Vicious Cycles Thunderwing:
    http://www.viciouscycles.com/frames-thunderwing.php3

Wildfire Fatbike:
    http://www.wildfirecycles.com/fatbikes.html

Also, the Surly 1x1 has a reputation for being able to handle some wide tires, maybe even a 3.0 Nokian Gazalloddi (if you can find some to buy, no longer in production)

Other than the 1X1, they are more expensive options though, unless you find a good deal on a used one.
    Blog

Just keep spinning. Just keep running. Just keep paddling.
    Just keep moving forward.

Feeding your addiction
    Quote Originally Posted by TIMBERRR
    So I took a nice long walk with the dogs today. Kickin around West Mag.
    I was actually amazed at my ability to find the trails beneath the snow. Beautiful day.
    Anyway while I was hikin about I started thinking about riding around during the winter months. So I want to start planning a winter bike build to take place before next winter.

I'm aware that Surley makes the Pugsley and it seems like a great bike for winter riding.

BUT is there are any other winter riding bikes out there? Hard to belive Surley is the only one.

Any help is appreciated.

You don't want one of those silly things, they're just no fun at all

If I recall correctly you ride a large? Let me know if you want to come up and try one out sometime. We've got 2 large Pugsley's here, riding today in fact - should be perfect.
    There are others too of course (I'd LOVE to get a DeSalvo someday but can't afford it yet) but the Pugs is a great deal for what you get.

Larry
    Mountain High Cyclery
    larry@mtnhighcyclery.com
    "It is inhumane, in my opinion, to force people who have a genuine medical need for coffee to wait in line behind people who apparently view it as some kind of recreational activity". - Dave Barry

VooDoo user.
    Thanks Larry. Great memory.

What are the pugs weighing with a middle of the road build?

Feeding your addiction
    Quote Originally Posted by TIMBERRR
    Thanks Larry. Great memory.

What are the pugs weighing with a middle of the road build?
    Mid 30's.

Larry
    "It is inhumane, in my opinion, to force people who have a genuine medical need for coffee to wait in line behind people who apparently view it as some kind of recreational activity". - Dave Barry

Which way? Uphill.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ventanarama
    There are others too of course (I'd LOVE to get a DeSalvo someday but can't afford it yet) but the Pugs is a great deal for what you get.

Larry
    Mountain High Cyclery
    larry@mtnhighcyclery.com
    Forget the DeSalvo (Wildfire), if you're dreaming about stuff you can't afford might as well go for the ti Fat Back. http://speedwaycyclesak.com/Pages/fatback.html
    23 lb potential there, sickening.

Like Larry said, the Pugsley is a huge value in this niche of the market, and I swear they are impossible to ride without smiling, but if you have an extra grand burning a hole in your pocket you can always go for the ti and more tire clearance of the Fat Back.

Larry, how do you like those Lakes? How many sizes larger than your normal shoe did you get. I'm waiting for mine to come in ( I ordered 4 sizes (European) larger than my normal shoes). Do you stock them? If I had known they were available locally I would've made the trip. I got tired of hiking boots/power grips pretty quick, of course my hiking boots could've stood to be a little larger.
    Blog

Feeding your addiction
    Quote Originally Posted by nepbug
    Forget the DeSalvo (Wildfire), if you're dreaming about stuff you can't afford might as well go for the ti Fat Back. http://speedwaycyclesak.com/Pages/fatback.html
    23 lb potential there, sickening.

Like Larry said, the Pugsley is a huge value in this niche of the market, and I swear they are impossible to ride without smiling, but if you have an extra grand burning a hole in your pocket you can always go for the ti and more tire clearance of the Fat Back.

Larry, how do you like those Lakes? How many sizes larger than your normal shoe did you get. I'm waiting for mine to come in ( I ordered 4 sizes (European) larger than my normal shoes). Do you stock them? If I had known they were available locally I would've made the trip. I got tired of hiking boots/power grips pretty quick, of course my hiking boots could've stood to be a little larger.
    Yeah, that bike is sick! Trying not to look at that too much, must resist temptation
    I like the Lakes, they work pretty well. I wear 45.5-46 in most shoes, 48 in the Lake. I had 47's but couldn't fit really thick socks in with them and my feet get cold very easily. I don't typically "stock" them but can get them in a couple days when they're in stock at QBP. I do have a pair of 43's in stock that I'm trying to get rid of cheaply.

Larry
    Mountain High Cyclery
    larry@mtnhighcyclery.com

Tame the Penguin!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ventanarama
    Mid 30's.

Larry

Funny how they feel lighter than air though.......

--Beast

mtbr member
    Aug 2005

Dude, where's your Helmet?

Quote Originally Posted by nOOby
    lolz

Riding on icy roads with no helmet, what a knucklehead! Sometimes I wonder about those roadies.....

rr
    I don't do PC
    I want to ride one!, maybe if I see ya next week Larry and there's still snow on the ground I can czech one out instead??

Chillaxin 'n Chilcotin!
    Not a Puglsey, but the tires are ALMOST as big...

I'm not sure I get the concept of a "snow bike." I've been riding regular MTBs in the snow for years. Is there any real advantage of a 3" Pugsley tire (non studded) over a 2.65" DH tire?

Tame the Penguin!
    Quote Originally Posted by kristian
    Not a Puglsey, but the tires are ALMOST as big...

I'm not sure I get the concept of a "snow bike." I've been riding regular MTBs in the snow for years. Is there any real advantage of a 3" Pugsley tire (non studded) over a 2.65" DH tire?
    I've ridden my MTB in the snow for years but finally got sick of going nowhere when there was more than an inch of snow. For starters, the Pugs rides on Surly Endomorph 3.7 tires (not 3"). The tires measure very close to 4" unloaded and nearly 5" at the contact patch when loaded. The tires run very low air pressure (~9psi) and the tread is very shallow, so they don't pack with snow and they can contour around frozen obstacles unlike a standard mtb tire. They float on top of the snow pack....allowing you to ride across deeper snow and climb very steep terrain. The traction you get out of a Pugs on Endormorphs rivals standard tires in wet conditions.

If you've never been out on one....you should at least try one. They feel a bit like pedaling a monster truck.

--Beast
    Last edited by El Beastro; 12-13-2007 at 11:05 AM.

Chillaxin 'n Chilcotin!
    Quote Originally Posted by El Beastro

If you've never been out on one....you should at least try one. They feel a bit like pedaling a monster truck.

--Beast
    For as much as I love snow riding, I know I would enjoy one. I had no idea the tires were THAT big. How does a pugsley do in 6" of powder snow when climbing? That is by far the biggest shortfall of a regular MTB--I'm fine on hardpack and fine descending in powder, but keeping traction on climbs is tough. My usual snow rides climb up snow packed roads to descend in powder.

Tame the Penguin!
    Quote Originally Posted by kristian
    For as much as I love snow riding, I know I would enjoy one. I had no idea the tires were THAT big. How does a pugsley do in 6" of powder snow when climbing? That is by far the biggest shortfall of a regular MTB--I'm fine on hardpack and fine descending in powder, but keeping traction on climbs is tough. My usual snow rides climb up snow packed roads to descend in powder.
    Powder climbing depends a lot on the base. If you get 6" of freshies on dry ground....no problem. The Pugs will go right up it. If you get 6" of snow on top of 8" of unpacked snow....forget it. Buy a snowmobile.

If you get 6" of powder on top of single track that's been packed with snow shoes or skinny skiis (or worst case...hikers), you are good to go regardless of how deep the actual snow pack is.

Last winter, we were riding singletrack packed by snow shoes where the base was 2'-3' in places. As long as we'd stay on the pack, we could motor right along.

The Pugs can chug through 6"-7" of fresh powder typically.

--Beast

rr
    I don't do PC
    I think we could put one to good use down here, MtH and the AFA loop would be killer after a nice snowfall. Anything over 4" that hasn't been tracked in well is not too rideable usually, Paul and I hit Ute yesterday in about 4-5" and is was a 50/50 deal, with the tracked in trails and the not too steep downs ridable. Still a lot of fun but the hikeabike gets old especially if your feet get cold.
    Last edited by rr; 12-13-2007 at 08:57 PM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004

this is pretty cool

29'r with 26'r snow wheels. I don't know how much it weighed, but it was light when I rode it around the parking lot. James said he could adjust my frame to do the same thing. Or I might just have him make me a steel version, ultimate utlitly bike.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Which way? Uphill.
    Quote Originally Posted by mateomtb
    29'r with 26'r snow wheels. I don't know how much it weighed, but it was light when I rode it around the parking lot. James said he could adjust my frame to do the same thing. Or I might just have him make me a steel version, ultimate utlitly bike.
    Mateo:
    That's a gorgeous bike. Is that using a 100, 110 or 135 mm front hub?
    Blog

mtbr member
    Oct 2004

110, 111

whatever it takes I really don't know man. I don't know much about bike measurments and such. I just tell James to fix me up with what I want and do what needs to be done to make it all fit I have to call him about something else, so I'll ask him. All this snow on the ground has me thinking more about this snow bike thing too.

He made it sound like he could just tweak the chainstays a bit to accomadate the larger tire. Anyone with a 29'r sheep already knows that the fork and seatstays already have PLENTY of room for those monsters. Then you just get yourself a set of the 26" Surly monsters, which basically have a 29" OD, and your good to go.

I'm tempted to have my frame tweaked, but I'm already going to bastardize the rear of my bike with something else for the winter. And he's so freaking busy that he's always backed up forever. I probably wouldn't get it back untill next winter

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast