Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Your bike is incorrigible

Snakes is a good sign!

Saw my first rattler of the season this afternoon. Nice 4' prairie rattler, well fed. Stopped to say hello, but he hid in the bushes. I take seeing a rattler this early to be a very good sign for the summer riding season. Screw the farmer's almanac; snakes are a better predictor.

skillz to pay billz
    snakes on the plains!!!

Quote Originally Posted by nOOby
    snakes on the plains!!!
    Best movie ever! You know exactly what's going to happen to the couple in the mile high club.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Snakes is a good sign!-snakes-plane.jpg  

"Oldfart from Wayback"
    I haven't seen any rattlers this year, but the Garter snakes were thick a few weeks back.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Guyechka
    Saw my first rattler of the season this afternoon. Nice 4' prairie rattler, well fed. Stopped to say hello, but he hid in the bushes. I take seeing a rattler this early to be a very good sign for the summer riding season. Screw the farmer's almanac; snakes are a better predictor.
    Where were you riding?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I saw this guy on the wild turkey trail on 4/15. No rattles, but he looked kind of like a rattlesnake to me. A cheap imitation?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Snakes is a good sign!-2010-04-15-14.47.48-cropped.jpg  

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Ansible
    I saw this guy on the wild turkey trail on 4/15. No rattles, but he looked kind of like a rattlesnake to me. A cheap imitation?
    Thanks, now I am never riding WT again

~Disc~Golf~
    Quote Originally Posted by Ansible
    it's a bull (gopher) snake
    Honestly, you just take a deep breath and say Fuck it.

mtbr member
    A harmless gopher snake.

Note: No rattles, small head not like a rattle snakes triangular viper head, and the marks on the back at first glance look like diamondback markings, but are square, not diamond pattern.

Edit: Damn it Highdell you under cut my snake expert authority.

~Disc~Golf~
    Quote Originally Posted by smilinsteve
    Edit: Damn it Highdell you under cut my snake expert authority.
    what's this one?

mtbr member
    That bad boy actually prey's on rattle snakes and their eggs more of these mean less rattlers, but then more rodents and so on and so forth fine balance you see!

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I had a stand off with a baby rattler today on Zorro. Small but scary!! I hate snakes!!

The one I played with with on the C Creek trail, just north of the Parker entrance. I had been riding around on all the southern singletrack in the high grass! Of course, prairie rattlers are harmless unless you're stupid enough to run after one and try to molest it. Just walking up to one will make it so scared it will zip away.

It's diamond backs that annoy me. Those guys are mean as hell. They are aggressive and actually go on the offensive. You don't want to get close to one of them. Just stick to the prairie and rock rattlers and you'll be fine.

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Well for goodness snakes!

I dream on two wheels
    Saw a baby rattler on the climb up to Dakota Ridge tonight.
    Whiskey

Starts B, ends Rant.
    You guys should be thankful that ALL of our venomous snakes on the front range come equipped with a "don't mess with me" noise maker. Out east, we had the privilege of the copper head, who has all of the charm of the rattle snake without the rattle. Needless to say, they still scare the crap out of me.

Also, I think we are going too easy on these alleged rattle snake sightings. No pics, no sighting. The rules don't change just because the thing you are saying you saw is pretty scary.

ride
    Bull snakes will also shake their tail in the grass to mimic a rattler sound. I stay away from them regardless. Bulls can get pretty mean and they'll still bite. Not poisonous but I hear it still hurts like hell.
    Redstone Cyclery
    turner*intense*transition*REEB*Rocky Mt
    web - tweet - FB
    Lyons, CO

To be continued
    Quote Originally Posted by B-Rant
    You guys should be thankful that ALL of our venomous snakes on the front range come equipped with a "don't mess with me" noise maker. Out east, we had the privilege of the copper head, who has all of the charm of the rattle snake without the rattle. Needless to say, they still scare the crap out of me.

Also, I think we are going too easy on these alleged rattle snake sightings. No pics, no sighting. The rules don't change just because the thing you are saying you saw is pretty scary.
    Juvenile rattlesnakes don't have the noisemaker and are unable to do anything but bite as hard as they can, so they can be quite dangerous.

By and large just leaving the snakes alone is the best policy.
    P3575303RDH

formerly shabadu
    Nov 2006
    Got real close to a pissed off rattler on the south side of Morrison Slide this afternoon. Scared the everlivinsh1t out of me.
    It was about three switchbacks from the top, I was feeling rather haggard, wandering a bit, trying to get my wits for the switchback move. Suddenly, a whole mess of commotion and rattling was going down about 6 inches from my right ankle, on the uphill side of the trail. I let out a primal scream and got my leg on the other side of the bike faster than a Belgian in December. I shuffled back and watched it for a bit. It was wicked ornery.
    After I got my heart rate under about 275, I spotted a little washout a few feet back that went up to the next bit of trail, scrambled up that and continued on.
    I spoke with a hiker at the top who thought she might have heard some rattling, but had her headphones in. Freaked her out a bit for her return trip down.
    Keep an eye out up there.

Starts B, ends Rant.
    Quote Originally Posted by flowtron
    Got real close to a pissed off rattler on the south side of Morrison Slide this afternoon. Scared the everlivinsh1t out of me.
    It was about three switchbacks from the top, I was feeling rather haggard, wandering a bit, trying to get my wits for the switchback move. Suddenly, a whole mess of commotion and rattling was going down about 6 inches from my right ankle, on the uphill side of the trail. I let out a primal scream and got my leg on the other side of the bike faster than a Belgian in December. I shuffled back and watched it for a bit. It was wicked ornery.
    After I got my heart rate under about 275, I spotted a little washout a few feet back that went up to the next bit of trail, scrambled up that and continued on.
    I spoke with a hiker at the top who thought she might have heard some rattling, but had her headphones in. Freaked her out a bit for her return trip down.
    Keep an eye out up there.
    Now you have to decide whether to try to wash those shorts or just toss them.

Bull snakes are usually pretty docile. I've caught a few in the three to four foot range. I saw one last year on the lower part of Sandy Wash, and it was the biggest damned bull I've ever seen! It was at least six feet, and it was as big around as my arm. I got out the camera only to find the batteries were dead. Plus, he was pissed off at me disturbing him, and I wasn't going to risk a bite from a snake that size even if it was non-venomous. About a hundred yards further down there was an older couple out for a hike with their dogs. I always wondered what happened when those dogs found the snake.

This guy today, though, was super frightened. I got about five feet away, and he took off into the bushes. I tried to count the rattles (like you can actually tell anything from that beyond the first few years), and there were at least five rows. He wasn't any juvenile.

The best rattler I saw was a fellow in the 10 to 12 foot range. That was in New Mexico. He was crossing a path in Bandolier Park, and there was a huge crowd gathered to watch him. He was a diamond back, but he was more interested in getting out of the sun than anything.

~Disc~Golf~
    The best rattler I saw was a fellow in the 10 to 12 foot range. ...
    sorry, but I call BS

Stiff yet compliant
    This reminded me of the best TV edit ever!

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Tempest3070
    Juvenile rattlesnakes don't have the noisemaker and are unable to do anything but bite as hard as they can, so they can be quite dangerous.

By and large just leaving the snakes alone is the best policy.

Not to mention a juvenile will strike multiple times, unlike most adult, and has the same amount of venom as an adult.

FleshwoundGravityResearch
    The best rattler I saw was a fellow in the 10 to 12 foot range. ...
    Quote Originally Posted by highdelll
    sorry, but I call BS

You mean because of this, maybe?

Crotalus atrox
    Species: C. atrox

Common names: western diamondback rattlesnake,[2] Texas diamond-back,[3] more.
    Crotalus atrox is a venomous pitviper species found in the United States and Mexico. It is likely responsible for the majority of snakebite fatalities in northern Mexico and the second greatest number in the USA after C. adamanteus
    Adults commonly grow to 120 cm (3.9 ft) in length. Specimens over 150 cm (4.9 ft) are infrequently encountered, while those over 180 cm (5.9 ft) are very rare. The maximum reported length considered to be reliable is 213 cm (6.99 ft) (Klauber, 1972). Males become much larger than females, although this difference in size does not occur until after they have reached sexual maturity.

Me too.
    Last edited by mtn hack; 05-17-2010 at 11:20 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast