Thread: Small Block 8

mtbr member
    Dec 2005

Small Block 8

I am asking about this tire in the Front Range forum because tires perform differently in different regions.

I am looking at getting a small block eight 2.35 for a rear tire to match my slower rolling Kenda Excavator up front. I am just a bit worried that the small block eight won't corner well in the loose rocky stuff and not hold off camber areas well.

Does anyone have any opinions on the small block eight as a rear tire in Colorado? Thanks!

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    I've used the Small Block 8 for 24 hours of Moab and sand. It performs well in Moab and I've had decent results using this tire in Buff Creek, etc. but personally feel there are better/more responsive tires (like Nevegals) for the loose rocky stuff encountered in most front range trails.

ColoradoCoolBreeze
    I run 2.2 tubeless SB8's on my XC bike and love them for FR trails.
    Sure they don't grip as well as my Telonix on the AM bike but they roll smooth.

04 Azonic Saber
    08 Yeti AS-x
    12 Rocky Mtn 29er Alt 970

Slopestyle Rider
    I run one up front on my slopestyle rig and it works awesome on hardpack, small loose stuff and wooden features... plus it rolls super fast.

abnormally aspirated
    Jun 2005
    hate it for tubeless for the rear anyway on mavic 819s - rolls right off the rim when slamming corners hard. don't know if it is a fluke tire or not, but won't spend the $ to find out.