Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Slight rant: Anyone heading to Steamboat's new bike park...reconsider!

Steamboat Ski Corp's (2) new blue DH trails flows VERY well! Thank you Gravity Logic!
    The trails are med speed flow trails. The entire valley has great top soil so riding there is like riding on capet'd trails...very conducive to letting a bike run. They coulda/shoulda, opened them up more so you can float the airs. But as is, they're speed limited to about the same as mid/lower Rainmaker at Trestle w/o the vert or distances on the airs. If you go fast, you'll need to racer-boy (pre-jump) the tables so you stay low off the ground, or you'll pack it into the hole following and/or the ramp of the next air. Considering these are blue trails, this isn't a bad thing, and both can be handled on a 5" AM bike, easily!

Now comes the "BUT"...

But Steamboat the resort corporation, is THE most poorly ran, shooting themselves in the foot around every corner, powers-that-be w/ heads up asses having little clue and too much hubris to learn from any other resort in CO entity I've EVER had the unfortunate opportunity to experience! Things weren't good when I lived there ('89-'90 to fall of '05), and they've gotten worse!
    The employees were MISERABLE (!!!), due in no small part to their mis-treatment by those on the 4th floor of the Ski Corp building I'm sure! Three ladies in the tix office, and the two older ones give off the impression that I'm somehow inconveniencing them by buying a ticket! The younger one must be new... The top lifty also seemed so unbelievably bored pulling bikes out of the gondi, that he didn't even acknowledge the fact that he shoved the bike into my legs/knees. But hey, coulda been just a bad day...so whatever.
    The ticket pricing...one of the highest in the bike park industry, to my knowledge! It's not prorated at all for the number of trails they have, AND they also have NO rain day ticket deal. So you pay $35/day for a bike tix. If you get in ONE run and they decided to shut down the gondi for the day on your next attempt to go up, due to a lightning strike in Meeker, CO (it's 1/2 way to Grand Junction), you're SOL'd on that $35! They won't offer you a rain day discount on your next tix... So, by far the most expensive tix of any bike park, for 2 blue runs, and no rain day tix! IIRC, both WP and Keystone will offer you something if they shut down the lifts early...??
    And about the heads in asses comment...
    The trail I ref'd above was primarily Rustler Ridge. There's a 2nd completed (blue) trail. It's the old YooHoo trail now called Tenderfoot (?). The only thing they added here were berms...no tables, wood, etc. It ties into a black section called Creekside, also an old existing trail. It used to be directional (down only) single use trail. But for some inexplicable reason, the powers that be decided it should be bi-directional, multi-use trail! This is a true singletrack in the woods and has always been one damn fun trail (albeit on the short side)! It's been dumb'd down quite a bit since I moved from there. As such, even med speed can be "fast" on this trail, and the downhill rider can carry pretty good speed on the sanitized trail. No only speed, but there are also soooo many "fast" blind corners on it, it's not even funny! There was the thread about the collision between a fully geared up DHer and an uphilling XCer on Steamboat's Spring Creek trail? Well, I can see some wicked-serious injuries between bike and hikers/climbers in that resort's future! When I was on it, there were two hikers and an unleashed dog on a steeper lower section coming up...completely invisible to the down-bound biker. Thanks for not going full out due to the lack of trail familiarity and those 8" rotors, I was able to bring the bike's speed down as to not have an up close and personal trail encounter w/ them! And yeah, I yielded...complete stop, foot down

So if anyone from Intrawest HQ is reading this, you really need to intervene and "clean house" of the entrenched leadership of Steamboat Ski Corp, because THEY'RE RUNNING THE MOUNTAIN INTO THE GROUND!!!!

Last thing... This is 2nd hand from my local buddies, but three of them told me of the same story, word for word:
    This past winter was Steamboat's and most likely the entire ski industry's worst snow year in history. Yet the powers that be at Steamboat Ski Corp RAISED the price of their lift tickets this Feb. by $10 because, "we have the best snow of any other area..." I'm pretty sure this directive wasn't from Intrawest HQ, but I have no basis for this conclusion. I do however know of the type of BS the MBAs on the 4th floor of the gondi building are capable of...making a call like this w/o any regards for the resort employees, and ultimately, the impact on the town's rep across the ski industry.

Done! Returning the soap box. Flame-on!
    Naysayers never apologize. Critics go to their grave thinking everyone else is wrong.
    ╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

mtbr member
    let me get this straight - there are unmotivated workers in a mtn town??????

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by hungryhead View Post
    Ya know, seeing as how they're in a service industry, at least they could fake a smile...not saying they need to toss my salad
    Naysayers never apologize. Critics go to their grave thinking everyone else is wrong.
    ╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Not to worry, I won't be paying for lift access any time soon. Give me less to complain about.

I'd suggest you give your input to those who are involved in operations and long term planning and strategy since they are the one's who might actually do something about the issue you raise.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by zrm View Post
    I'd suggest you give your input to those who are involved in operations and long term planning and strategy since they are the one's who might actually do something about the issue you raise.
    Yup.
    Doing the composition here, and letting you guys bash it to bits before I send it in an email to Intrawest HQ in Denver.

Edit: Just as a point of clarification, I gave a shout to a buddy who works for WP. I was told the job satisfaction is pretty high there, and even tho directives come from corporate HQ, the day to day governance of the place is done by locals. So, this makes what's going on at the management level of the 'Boat even worse since these were the ppl that had been handled by management when they were the worker bees...and now in a position of management, spitting and peeing on the current crop of worker bees. Okay, this is way ranting now
    ╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

friend of Apex
    Yo Paul, I thought we had fun. I got some sweet NoPro footy!

the drugs made me realize it's not about the drugs

Want to vent?
    Agree on the rant. It's better than nothing but it ain't much. Trail flow could definitely be improved. It's new and needs time to grow though...and some rainfall...

The pricing structure is ridiculous, even for locals with a season pass. I am still spending my money at Winter Park. I'm not paying 25 dollars for basically 1 trail...3 wood features and 6 tables...to ride over and over again...I ride up after 5 and earn my turns once and go home - for free.

And the trail changes, moronic....

They two way'd Creekside so they could claim they have an uphill route to cover what was lost in zig zag - its insanely dangerous now....And killed zig zag and renamed it so its sounds new and interesting. All marketing so they can claim they have an uphill route on that side of the mountain and can claim they have a "new" directional trail. They should have left zig zag as is...they cannot add features because it is a green run (cat track) in the winter...so whats the point? The poor and rushed planning on this is just amazing.

They should have soft opened this stuff and went after it harder next year in my opinion. Hell they were already years behind on summer activities, whats one more year? The greed is strong here - trying to recoup losses from a horrible ski season.
    Last edited by The SS Boz; 07-09-2012 at 03:07 PM.
    "I'm supa-fly TNT, I'm tha guns of the navarone!"

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by WKD-RDR View Post
    Yo Paul, I thought we had fun. I got some sweet NoPro footy!

Yup, it felt something like the vid after handing them $35 for 2 runs. Yeah, I got in one extra 1, so my ranting on 1 run no rain ticket is moot, right? Except, IIRC they took down the gondi for the day at noon or noon:30 on Sat...and called it the day at 2:30pm.
    The insanity: the myopia of not offering a rain ticket. PULL the customer back w/ a rain tix! Since the lifts will be running anyway, it's not an "additional cost" and they coulda generated revenue off of food, lodging, other activities, etc...not counting the intangible "warm and fuzzy" feeling and good will perceived by the customers w/o any additional costs. Like I said, MBA idiots!
    ╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

Thread Terrorist
    What are the policies regarding rain at WP, Keystone and SV?

I was talking to a Gravity logic guy about Steamboat's trails this weekend. He wasn't too happy about what the USFS has done to pull all the projects back.
    Golden Bike Park Group

Peak Cycles Gravity Team & Bikeparts.com
    Trestle Bike Park

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I will say that we're always amazed by the friendliness of the WP lifties, and so far I've had great customer service in the Trestle shop.

Not exactly sure about their ticket policies. We were asking about the lighting policy on Saturday, and the lifty we spoke to told us that it was pretty much up to our discretion about when to call it a day. He said that he thought they cut it a little too close a lot of times.

Didn't I see something from you that said Zephyr got struck?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by IndecentExposure View Post

I was talking to a Gravity logic guy about Steamboat's trails this weekend. He wasn't too happy about what the USFS has done to pull all the projects back.
    From what I recall, WP did offer rain tix, but I'll have to ping the favorite gimp who works up there to confirm. Just pinged Sol. I don't know how to get a hold of Keystone's tix office...you ping them.

Yeah, the USFS has a LOT of influence on what/how trails are built in the 'Boat...and often times it seems they'll put the kibosh on anything new, out of spite! Again, entrenched old-school management base and an unwillingness to do any REAL work to eval ideas...at least that's what it feels like. But hey, I'm an "outsider" now.
    ╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

banned
    moar lulz, plz

Well, you can't have that, but if you're an American citizen you are entitled to:
    a heated kidney shaped pool,
    a microwave oven--don't watch the food cook,
    a Dyna-Gym--I'll personally demonstrate it in the privacy of your own home,
    a king-size Titanic unsinkable Molly Brown waterbed with polybendum,
    a foolproof plan and an airtight alibi,
    real simulated Indian jewelry,
    a Gucci shoetree,
    a year's supply of antibiotics,
    a personally autographed picture of Randy Mantooth
    and Bob Dylan's new unlisted phone number,
    a beautifully restored 3rd Reich swizzle stick,
    Rosemary's baby,
    a dream date in kneepads with Paul Williams,
    a new Matador, a new mastodon,
    a Maverick, a Mustang, a Montego,
    a Merc Montclair, a Mark IV, a meteor,
    a Mercedes, an MG, or a Malibu,
    a Mort Moriarty, a Maserati, a Mac truck,
    a Mazda, a new Monza, or a moped,
    a Winnebago--Hell, a herd of Winnebago's we're giving 'em away,
    or how about a McCulloch chainsaw,
    a Las Vegas wedding,
    a Mexican divorce,
    a solid gold Kama Sutra coffee pot,
    or a baby's arm holding an apple

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by KarateChicken View Post
    moar lulz, plz

Well, you can't have that, but if you're an American citizen you are entitled to:
    a heated kidney shaped pool,
    a microwave oven--don't watch the food cook,
    a Dyna-Gym--I'll personally demonstrate it in the privacy of your own home,
    a king-size Titanic unsinkable Molly Brown waterbed with polybendum,
    a foolproof plan and an airtight alibi,
    real simulated Indian jewelry,
    a Gucci shoetree,
    a year's supply of antibiotics,
    a personally autographed picture of Randy Mantooth
    and Bob Dylan's new unlisted phone number,
    a beautifully restored 3rd Reich swizzle stick,
    Rosemary's baby,
    a dream date in kneepads with Paul Williams,
    a new Matador, a new mastodon,
    a Maverick, a Mustang, a Montego,
    a Merc Montclair, a Mark IV, a meteor,
    a Mercedes, an MG, or a Malibu,
    a Mort Moriarty, a Maserati, a Mac truck,
    a Mazda, a new Monza, or a moped,
    a Winnebago--Hell, a herd of Winnebago's we're giving 'em away,
    or how about a McCulloch chainsaw,
    a Las Vegas wedding,
    a Mexican divorce,
    a solid gold Kama Sutra coffee pot,
    or a baby's arm holding an apple
    I tried to PM you to get you to come on this thread and provide us w/ your LULz tension breakers, but the intarwebz was too retarded here at work. I shoulda realized I only needed to wait for you to e-stalk me
    ╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Pau11y View Post
    I tried to PM you to get you to come on this thread and provide us w/ your LULz tension breakers, but the intarwebz was too retarded here at work. I shoulda realized I only needed to wait for you to e-stalk me
    I love it when KC stalks somone other than me. But now that I've said that he just might start stalking me again. Let's see what he comes up with.
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

t.i.t.s.ceo/FR amoeba rep
    I had a balcony view of the lower part of the DH trail but chose to ride back side of Emerald and pedal my own ass up the Beall trail then down Ridge- fun stuff that was!

i need to explore more of emerald lots of possibilities to link alot of miles
    I'm a cowboy on a steel horse i ride!

the blog

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Is that lyrics from the tubes??

mtbr member
    Paully, you should try riding up the "new" mt Werner, the bottom of old zigzag has some nice super steep sections at the bottom to discourage anyone but the strongest in your group, then at the base of Thunderhead, your choice is Valley View, or the Why not road. The road is barren and steep, and Valley View is dodgeball with DH traffic. I still have no idea why Creekside is open to uphill traffic, where do you hike once you reach Tenderfoot? Down the DH only Tenderfoot, or back the way you came on Creekside either way you take your chances on those blind corners. Dogs should be on a leash everywhere on a busy mtbike park, yes?

Thread Terrorist
    I learned that there are berms built on a multi-directional trail. Now THAT seems silly.

Most resorts see the summer lifts as being a burden, not a business opportunity. It's noticeable when Winter Park lays out the red carpet for riders, and others simply don't care. Even the lifties at Crested Butte were a little unfriendly. They didn't know the mountain, trails, what started where, etc. Sad. They've got some really neat trails, they just need to invest some money to making them even better.

Trestle has made all the right business moves to attract the cash. Super fun and safe trails bringing in hordes of families, groups and newB's into the sport. Hell, the line for the season passes was at one point 3 hours long opening day! WOW! I've been getting season passes for a decade now and have never seen a season pass line that big.
    Golden Bike Park Group

Peak Cycles Gravity Team & Bikeparts.com
    Trestle Bike Park

Living the High Life
    Quote Originally Posted by hungryhead View Post
    No kidding. NEVER seen that before.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by palerider View Post
    Is that lyrics from the tubes??
    yes, nice catch

too bad for victicrat paulsy and sociopathic xcghuy

Living the High Life
    Quote Originally Posted by KarateChicken View Post
    too bad for victicrat paulsy and sociopathic xcghuy
    All of you guys need to fill out one of these and The Internet will determine the outcome.

banned
    lulz^

bvtthvrt

Now with 10% more!
    Quote Originally Posted by IndecentExposure View Post

Can't say it's standard policy for Winter Park to do this, but the first time me and a friend went there and rented some DH bikes it started raining around 1 pm or so. We waited it out a good hour or two and decided it wasn't going to let up. Turned the bikes back in, small talked about the rain, and rather unexpectedly received passes to come back another day. This was above and beyond what was necessary, we had already got 6 or so runs in that day.. Obviously if the weather permitted we would have liked a few more, but we still felt we got our money's worth even with the rain cutting it short.

But of course I lost the passes!!!!

mtbr member
    So, got some responses...
    TrestleBikePark told me it's not set in stone, but just go hit up the tix office and he emphasized, "we're pretty nice." Da Dook's experience seems to support this. His experience does qualify for above/beyond, yeah?!

I received a response on FB from Sol...they will NOT refund, but will do a case by case and can extend the pass. Man, this is all the goodwill effort a resort would need to do...an attempt at a gesture.

My money is staying OUT of the Yampa Valley until further notice.
    ╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ithnu View Post
    All of you guys need to fill out one of these and The Internet will determine the outcome.

On 2nd thought, I think I would like the ticket agent to toss my salad...for the anal-rape ticket prices!
    ╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast