Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Apr 2011

sleeping bag and mat for bikepacking colorado trail

looking to replace my old and bulky sleeping bag. i will be doing colorado trail next summer\fall, thats the main reason getting new bag. not sure what temperature rating to go for but i dont need 4 season one. this is the candidate so far. but again not sure if it is going to be warm enough if i need to camp up high. the weight is very decent. and $150 is abot max i am willing to spend. also suggestion for pad for reasonable price would be appreciated. i have been using basic foam pad up until now.

pedal me happy
    Oct 2009
    My bag I used was rated to 30 degrees but I also had a down sweater and some
    fleece pants in case I got cold. I think the bag you had listed should be fine. I used a
    hammock so no help on a pad for you. You might check out the bikepacking fourm
    here and see what others say there and also check out bikepacking.net for some
    good suggestions. I would for sure get a good compression bag and what are your
    plans for weather protection when sleeping.

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by cavo View Post
    looking to replace my old and bulky sleeping bag. i will be doing colorado trail next summer\fall, thats the main reason getting new bag. not sure what temperature rating to go for but i dont need 4 season one. this is the candidate so far. but again not sure if it is going to be warm enough if i need to camp up high. the weight is very decent. and $150 is abot max i am willing to spend. also suggestion for pad for reasonable price would be appreciated. i have been using basic foam pad up until now.
    That looks like a nice bag and great weight though I'd probably want down for the smaller packing ability.

Marmot 20F Flathead Down Sleeping Bag - 600 Fill Power, Mummy

This bag is a little bit more, but a 30% off coupon (or more) will put you below $150.00. It's well reviewed as well.

Don't rule out Sierra Trading Post. I saved 45% on my last order by signing up for their email newsletters before Christmas and got a coupon code I applied. Nothing like $70 Vasque hikers and $6.00 Smartwool socks!
    Niner Bikes employee. http://www.facebook.com/pages/Niner-...3652275?ref=ts
    Front Range Forum Moderator

Motion activated
    Synthetic bags never pack very small, so I think you might find that an issue.

This is an awesome bag if you want something small and light. It packs to about the size of a nalgene bottle, if not smaller. It's a bottom-less bag design, so it packs super small for it's warmth. But you will need to use it with a good pad. 700 fill down.

Amazon.com: Thermarest Haven 20 Sleep System, Large: Sports & Outdoors

Here's another, cheaper down bag, but it's only 550 fill, so it won't pack as small.
    Amazon.com: Kelty Cosmic 20 Degree Down Sleeping Bag: Sports & Outdoors

As for sleeping pads.... don't skimp here as you can loose a lot of heat via your sleeping pad.

I really like this one. It's expensive, but very light and packs very small for what it does. I camped out the other week in -2f on the snow and it kept me acceptably warm.

Amazon.com: Thermarest Neo-Air Xtherm Sleeping Pad, Reflex Gray, Large: Sports & Outdoors

This is another cheaper option that should also work OK down to 30-40 or so.

Amazon.com: Thermarest Prolite Plus Sleeping Mattress (Regular): Sports & Outdoors

What are you going to use for a bivy/tent?

A few suggestions...

USGI Bivy. You can find them for $40. They are awesome! Gore Tex bivy for $40, what's not to like (besides the camo)!!?

Amazon.com: US Military Surplus Bivy Sleeping Bag Cover Gore Tex: Sports & Outdoors

UBER Bivy. Much larger bivy than the USGI, but similar weight/pack size. Obviously more expensive.

MilesGear - Uber Bivy

Some random thing's I've learned about ground insulation.

(1) Snow is warmer than frozen ground.
    (2) Under a (live) pine tree is a good place to camp - the pine needles provide insulation and the tree provides shelter from the wind/snow/rain.

(3) If you're desperate, use pine branches under your sleeping pad for extra insulation.
    (4) Camping on rocks will be cold.
    (5) Don't use your breath to inflate sleeping pads in cold weather. The moister in your breath can freeze and reduce the insulation of your sleeping pad.
    Happiness is a warm 2 stroke.

Motion activated
    Also... +1 for Sierra Trading Post! I've also seen nice down bags go for $150-200 on steep and cheap. But they go quick.

EDR

Re: sleeping bag and mat for bikepacking colorado trail

I picked up a kelty cosmic down 20 degree bag for 119 dollars on amazon. I also have a Klymit Insulated Static V full size air mattress for $70. They have great reviews and I far prefer it over the Thermarest rest one that I had previously purchased. The Thermarest was far more expensive and it sounded like sleeping on huge bag of cellophane. Way too noisy for me.

My Kelty is about 2.5 pounds, good enough for three seasons with the insulated matt. Packs down really small and so does the air mattress.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    great tips. more to think about. as for shelter, i have been borrowing friends backpacking tent for over two years. it is 2 person tent, probably over 4 pounds. little bulky just for me bikepacking, which is 90% of time. i might finally get my own shelter for this trip. I like the USGI bivy. is it to be used with some sort of tarp cover or just by itself? as for hammocks, dont you get cold easier?

Motion activated
    Quote Originally Posted by cavo View Post
    I like the USGI bivy. is it to be used with some sort of tarp cover or just by itself?
    It's all gore tex so you can put it straight on the ground. It's a pretty thick material so I doubt you'll have any issues. But if you want a cheap ground cover, you can just cut some Tyvek HomeWrap (home depot) to size.

The USGI bivy covers you 100% when you close it down, but it would be more comfortable to have a tarp above you if there was a chance of rain. Your breath contains a lot of moisture which will cause a build up of condensation inside the bivy if you sleep with it enclosed over your head. Also there is no room to spare inside the USGI bivy once you've got a down sleeping bag and air pad inside it. If you're over 6'2" and 190lb, I'd look elsewhere.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Exped Synmat UL 7. Awesome. I can't help you on the bag, you're setting the price too low. Pony up, and get something from Western Mountaineering or Nunatak. Cheap, for a bag that lasts 25 years, and keeps it's temp rating. Unlike a synthetic bag.

EDR
    OP is asking for a worthwhile bag for $150 max and a reasonable priced pad and some of you point him to +$300 sleeping bags and an air mattress for $165. HUH?

Look, I realize the best equipment comes at a premium cost but there a A LOT of folks out there not wishing to drop that kinda coin for whatever reason. There are less expensive alternatives that will still provide the needed comfort and size requirements. No, you can't sleep with them directly on the snow pack at the top of an Alaskan peak in winter...but for the lower 48 they will easily get you through 3 seasons at a low cost.

OP take a look at the review sections of REI and Amazon on the Kelty Cosmic Down and see for yourself if it's something that will work for you at the price range. Ya, it's only 550 fill, but I'm sure it wasn't all that long ago that 600 or so was 'elite' fill power. Yes, it packs bigger than a 900 fill of the same rating but it still packs small enough for many...and will be just as warm for the given rating.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by eatdrinkride View Post

OP take a look at the review sections of REI and Amazon on the Kelty Cosmic Down and see for yourself if it's something that will work for you at the price range. Ya, it's only 550 fill, but I'm sure it wasn't all that long ago that 600 or so was 'elite' fill power. Yes, it packs bigger than a 900 fill of the same rating but it still packs small enough for many...and will be just as warm for the given rating.
    The thing with that bag is that you're really not getting much weight advantage (Kelty: 2lb 11oz, TNF: 2lb 12oz) *or* compressability advantage. IMO if the OP sleeps "warm" and/or plans on having some warm clothing layers he can get by with a higher temp rating and a *much* lower weight bag. At the price-point...

And depending how far into the "fall" this trip is planned, he might be able to do a 40* bag. Although if he's planning on mid/late September that's probably going to be a bit of a gamble.

EDR

Quote Originally Posted by SkaredShtles View Post
    The thing with that bag is that you're really not getting much weight advantage (Kelty: 2lb 11oz, TNF: 2lb 12oz) *or* compressability advantage. IMO if the OP sleeps "warm" and/or plans on having some warm clothing layers he can get by with a higher temp rating and a *much* lower weight bag. At the price-point...

And depending how far into the "fall" this trip is planned, he might be able to do a 40* bag. Although if he's planning on mid/late September that's probably going to be a bit of a gamble.
    I agree. There are options in the op's price point.

Chairman of the Beard
    If you do the CT in the summertime (which you should) and you're not too tall you can go with this dude for under a c note:
    Deuter Dreamlite 500 Review | Active Gear Review
    Could supplement with a liner or light down jacket.

I personally went with this one since I'm a little taller. I hope to do the CT one day, and this is what I'd be using:
    REI Halo +40 Sleeping Bag - Long - Special Buy - Free Shipping at REI-OUTLET.com
    When I bought it was on sale for $131.
    The correct number of bikes one should own is N+1, where N is the number of bikes currently owned.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by hirschmj View Post
    If you do the CT in the summertime (which you should) and you're not too tall you can go with this dude for under a c note:
    Deuter Dreamlite 500 Review | Active Gear Review
    Could supplement with a liner or light down jacket.

I personally went with this one since I'm a little taller. I hope to do the CT one day, and this is what I'd be using:
    REI Halo +40 Sleeping Bag - Long - Special Buy - Free Shipping at REI-OUTLET.com
    When I bought it was on sale for $131.
    As someone noted earlier - one of the big advantages of the down option is that down will last DECADES longer than the synthetic filled bag. It is simply a far-superior fill material (unless you get it wet) with regards to loft, weight, and durability. So if you're expecting to keep your sleeping bag for the long term - go down.

Chairman of the Beard
    Quote Originally Posted by SkaredShtles View Post
    As someone noted earlier - one of the big advantages of the down option is that down will last DECADES longer than the synthetic filled bag. It is simply a far-superior fill material (unless you get it wet) with regards to loft, weight, and durability. So if you're expecting to keep your sleeping bag for the long term - go down.
    Fair point, I am no expert but I have read the same online.

The REI bag I linked is goose down, the Deuter is synthetic.
    The correct number of bikes one should own is N+1, where N is the number of bikes currently owned.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by hirschmj View Post
    Fair point, I am no expert but I have read the same online.

The REI bag I linked is goose down, the Deuter is synthetic.
    I've owned a number of synthetic bags (actually had one of the early Cats Meow's from TNF in the early 90's) - they all simply flatten out quite rapidly and by the end of 5 years are generally "clapped out"...

I have two REI down bags (a -20F and 0F) from the mid-90's which, while they have lost *some* of their insulating loft, are still very functional sleeping bags.

Team Inflexible
    I know these are are a bit above your price range but I am huge fan of quilts and prefer them vs a mummy bag. Take a looks at Jacks R Better and you dont have to use these for hammocks.. I own their summer quilt that would be equal to a 40 degree bag then the 3 season quilt equal to a 20 degree bag. In the winter time I can combine the two and go down to 0 degrees.

They are lighter, more comfortable, and very pack-able compared to the mummy options you have been looking at. Truthfully I could never imagine myself lugging a 2+ pound synthetic bag on the CT.

Motion activated
    ... an air mattress for $165. HUH?
    Guess you missed that I also linked to a cheaper pad and a VERY cheap bivy and tarp/ground cover. Which would likely offset the cost of a warmer and more comfortable/packable pad & sleeping bag.

IMHO depending on when and who (if anyone) the OP's going with, a warmer bag/pad is good insurance.

While I've never bike packed the CT, I live along it and have camped at KP more times than I can remember.
    Even my TNF 15 deg 800 fill down bag can get cold in summer.

SS in CO
    if the tent is a little heavy and you have some spare cash (which you might not), you might look into Kammocks instead of a tent. they pack incredibly small & weigh almost nothing. they keep you off the ground and are really comfy. just a thought.

J.
    are you a bike shop owner? or a custom builder? I want to talk to you about your website

EDR

Quote Originally Posted by Steve71 View Post
    Guess you missed that I also linked to a cheaper pad and a VERY cheap bivy and tarp/ground cover. .
    I did. I'm not trying to be combative, just trying to be helpful. My apologies.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayson44 View Post
    if the tent is a little heavy and you have some spare cash (which you might not), you might look into Kammocks instead of a tent. they pack incredibly small & weigh almost nothing. they keep you off the ground and are really comfy. just a thought.
    Just out of curiosity - what do you do when you camp above treeline with one of those?

mtbr member
    I've used a Lafuma Warm'n Light 800 for the last three years (paid about $100). It's a 650-fill down bag rated to 30 deg F. I've used it both with a Big Agnes Air Core Sleeping pad (paid about $50) and without the pad but in a SOL Escape Bivvy (paid about $40).

Lafuma Warm'n Light 800 Sleeping Bag: 30 Degree Down | Backcountry.com

I don't see it for sale anymore but I'm sure there are similar euro-trash offerings on the market. Most reviews of these cheep down bags say that they don't come anywhere near to their claimed comfort temps. I would agree. Still, even though it insulates more like a 50 deg F bag, it is probably OK to do the CT in July-to-August time period, especially if you're in a tent or bivvy. I've been chilled a few times but I'm skinny (125 lbs) and tend to run cold.

I would point out that you need a bag this small (6 x 10 in.) or so if you want to put your sleeping bag in your saddlebag. If you go with what you originally proposed (6.5 x 21 in.) you're not going to have any option but to put it in a sling/handlebar bag, which is fine as long as you plan to use that much space for your sleeping bag.

I've completely dropped the sleeping pad from my set-up. I don't think it's worth the space or weight. I just look around for a nice soft spot.

Motion activated
    There's a whole lotta sleeping pads and a few down sleeping bags on steep and cheap right now.

Daily Deals - Discount Outdoor Clothing & Gear | Steep & Cheap

Motion activated
    I did. I'm not trying to be combative, just trying to be helpful. My apologies.
    No worries

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    nice, looking through the stuff on S&C, i am thinking going for phantom 32 sleeping bag. packs pretty small. i have also spoke with my friend an we might be doing ct together. we are talking either getting 2 person tent or each of us getting solo tent. i am more leaning towards me getting 2 person tent, as i can use it for backpacking with my wife too. the one i like from the site is north face flint 2. if we do this in august, do i need pad at all? i know it could be bumpy night but for warmth, do i need it?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast