Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Dec 2011

Skills Clnic Anyone?

Any of y'all know of a skills clinic that takes place in the Den/Boulder area? I would be willing to drive to Co. Spgs. or Ft. Collins as well.

mtbr member
    Lee is in Boulder and last I heard Gene is in Morrison. I'm not sure about local clinics but they both do mountain bike training.

Lee Likes Bikes

Mountain Bike School, Mountain Bike Camps, coaching by Betterride

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Thanks Man

Oh, So Interesting!
    Also check out Lee McCormack and Brian Lopes book, Mastering Mountain Bike Skills, as well as Fluidride's video, Like a Pro. Both are well worth the investment and it would be good to check them out before paying for a clinic so you can get the most from your money.

Lee Likes Bikes

Fluidride Fluidride: Like a Pro – DVD

Strava: turn off your dork logger when you're not on sanctioned trails.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Also check out RipStoke : Mountain Bike School and Shows

They do trials, mountain biking skills. Private lessons too.
    http://teamalchemist.com/
    http://blog.teamalchemist.com/
    Custom Cycling Jerseys, Merino Wool Jerseys, Organic T-shirts

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by givati View Post
    Any of y'all know of a skills clinic that takes place in the Den/Boulder area? I would be willing to drive to Co. Spgs. or Ft. Collins as well.
    Ugh, don't pay anyone for false-instant gratification. Ride with people who know how to ride and learn from them.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by KarateChicken View Post
    Ugh, don't pay anyone for false-instant gratification. Ride with people who know how to ride and learn from them.
    +1

There's a skills clinic everyday. It's called practice. In Boulder head over to Valmont and put some quality hours in, odds are there are better riders then you there you can learn from as well.

There is no substitution for practice. And there are no magical tricks with bikes. Just time practiced = skill.

formerly shabadu
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by DrJosiah View Post
    +1

There's a skills clinic everyday. It's called practice. In Boulder head over to Valmont and put some quality hours in, odds are there are better riders then you there you can learn from as well.

There is no substitution for practice. And there are no magical tricks with bikes. Just time practiced = skill.

Some of the best riders in the world take clinics with Gene (and Lee too, but I'm partial to the BetterRide guys).

If you don't think you have anything to learn.....well, you're wrong.

Practice doesn't = skill if you're doing it wrong....which many of us are.

Take a clinic. Learn some incredible fundamentals, then practice those.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    .....odds are there are better riders then you there you can learn from as well.

I agree with your comment in principle, but usually people you don't know aren't willing to teach you things. Now if you have friends who can teach you, then yeah buy them a six pack for their time and be done with it; plus they'll have a vested interest in you getting better.

Yes practice = skill. I think though, that without some skill to start with, you're going to have a healthy dose of injury and frustration.

mtbr member

We the people ...

+1

I used to have some cocky friends that couldn't justify paying someone (they beat at every race) for advice. Turns out even the faster pro DH riders had something to learn.

Gene and Lee have plenty to teach all of us. If you disagree I'd like to see your race resume

mtbr member
    I think both approaches compliment each other. Ideally, get a crew together and do a clinic together and then practice afterwards. I'll say this, both Gene and Lee are super cool. If you frequent Valmont and know what he looks like, you'll likely spot Lee.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Don't listen to the guy/gal trying to make you feel stupid for wanting to build a good fundamental core. The problem with this "ride with better" advice is you probably don't know what to look for, so you'll just end up gravitating to someone faster. The problem with this, at least in our local scene, is that there are a lot of people that are fast but have poor technique. They just overcompensate with huge cardio engine. So by riding with them you'll get stronger, but you'll grow far more on the cardio side and less on technique.

Nothing wrong at all with taking some lessons so you have a foundation of what is right. Whether they give you false instant gratification or not is irrelevant - the important point is you approach the trail with a system in the future vs. the cardio / chaos method most riders take.

I'd recommend Lee locally - either some private coaching or get a group of guys together and split the cost of semi-private coaching.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    I love this forum! I am already training my cardiovascular but because of a bad crash last year am having a confidence issue. My plan is to get technique pointers then practice my ass off. I've been in touch with Lee and he is open. He's good huh?

A guy on a bike Moderator
    Skills are good, no matter how you get them. If I had the spare bucks, I'd hire Lee (or one of the others) for some one-on-one coaching.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Wow some true morons here. Nobody said you can't learn anything from those clinics, but why pay some good amounts of money to learn basic skills that you don't need that level of instruction for?

You pay those people for advanced instruction when it applies.

If you just have oodles of money to throw around to pay someone to show you how to wheelie or track stand, have at it. But even then that single day or two won't make a difference if you aren't getting out there and practicing on a daily basis.

Particularly considering how many instructional assets there are for free now a days.

If you need to have your hand held, then by all means pay for the nanny.

Quote Originally Posted by FunkMaster View Post
    -
    Gene and Lee have plenty to teach all of us. If you disagree I'd like to see your race resume
    My resume doesn't matter, that's a fallacy that my opinion is only valid if I am better then X. Your reasoning is about that of a 4th grader.

What IS valid? The number of people killing it on bikes is astronomically larger then those killing it on a bike who attend private clinics.
    And "official racing" doesn't mean jack. It only is a race against those who enter and no official sporting event ever quantifies the true number of people who are good at a sport.

Oh, So Interesting!
    OMFG, Don't listen to the 2 biggest idiots on this board, GaySexChicken, and FakeDrJosiah... they're probably the worst riders on this board too.

Everyone can learn something, and coaching is NOT a skill that everyone naturally has, so while your friends may be great riders, you may not be able to see exactly what they are doing by simply observing them ride, and they may not be able to communicate to you what is they are doing, or be able to look at you ride and see what you're doing wrong. Good riders who have been riding their whole life don't always consciously know what they're doing, they assume it's easy and doesn't require skill, which is why you get told to "just sack up and hit it brah!" Some of the skills aren't intuitive, so without coaching you can easily get stuck with bad habits that will keep you from progressing, or make your riding much more dangerous and painful than it needs to be. Especially body position, it's very easy to get used to positioning yourself over the bike incorrectly, especially when the going gets techy or jumpy, there is a self preservation tendency to get behind the bike, which is often the opposite of where you want to be. I see it in people who are learning to jump all the time, they don't want to get bucked so they put their weight back, which turns out to be the cause of being bucked.

Anyway, long story short, coaching can help, and can even make a for a real breakthrough in your technique and riding enjoyment.

Oh, So Interesting!
    Wow some true morons here. Nobody said you can't learn anything from those clinics, but why pay some good amounts of money to learn basic skills that you don't need that level of instruction for?

You pay those people for advanced instruction when it applies.

If you just have oodles of money to throw around to pay someone to show you how to wheelie or track stand, have at it. But even then that single day or two won't make a difference if you aren't getting out there and practicing on a daily basis.

Particularly considering how many instructional assets there are for free now a days.

If you need to have your hand held, then by all means pay for the nanny.

My resume doesn't matter, that's a fallacy that my opinion is only valid if I am better then X. Your reasoning is about that of a 4th grader.

What IS valid? The number of people killing it on bikes is astronomically larger then those killing it on a bike who attend private clinics.
    And "official racing" doesn't mean jack. It only is a race against those who enter and no official sporting event ever quantifies the true number of people who are good at a sport.
    Lol, this is awesome! Thanks for the laugh.

A guy on a bike Moderator
    People learn in different ways. Some people like learning with an instructor, which doesn't make them "morons." I'm glad that your way worked for you, but try to have a little respect for others, eh?

I've never had lessons either, but I know that they would help me become a better technical rider. The same could probably be said for you too...

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    [QUOTE=DrJosiah;8874938]Wow some true morons here.

There you go again, I think I told you awhile back that you could just quit the forum if you think we are all so stupid, Doctor of something or other. No one cares what you think, get it?

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Sorry for starting so much ****.
    Makes me laugh though, a little.
    I've learned long ago that there are 2 sorts of folks. Those that are teachable and those that are not. I purpose to be on the teachable side personally.
    There are great points coming from all of you. Yes practice makes one better. And. Instruction does as well. And. There are multiple resources for this instruction. I'll just cypher out the BS and take the wisdom offered.
    And no, I'm not independently wealthy.

Kaj
    mtbr member
    My wife took the basic "Better Ride" clinic a few years ago from Gene Hamilton--the content was perfect for a beginner. I watched a few of the sessions and helped out a bit, it was really really good. I bet the intermediate and pro stuff is just as good. He had a bunch of newbies doing wheelies, bunny hopping, picking lines, weight wheels for cornering and more in just a couple sessions.

I haven't seen any of Lee's clinics but from what I hear they are good too.

Ripstoke may be the easiest as he will do one on one clinics for a reasonable rate. You'll learn a ton from Akira in 2 hours. He is one of the rare ones with mad skills but can teach too.
    Helping folks shred in Boulder & Colorado since 1982 www.fullcyclebikes.com

mtbr member
    One thing I would like to add is that attending a clinic or getting training is waste if you don't immediately follow up the training with specific practice meant at reinforcing what you've learned. Perhaps we could put together a group clinic with Lee or Gene in the spring.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    I contacted Lee. He's going to start public clinics in March. He'll do private lessons anytime. Private lessons are a bit pricy. They can be done in small groups to bring down the cost.

It's time for a road trip
    Dec 2011
    I'd recommend Lee as well - great guy, and does a really good job of describing things so you can easily digest them. Anyone advocating against clinics/ coaching can't be taken seriously unless they've had coaching. That's like recommending against a bike you haven't ridden.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by davec113 View Post
    OMFG...GaySexChicken
    You're so repressed and so in love with KarateChicken.

Skills clinics are a good idea, if you've got the cash. If not, you get scars and stories, like the rest of us. Good luck.

Edit: If you can't buy the book, check it out at the library.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast