Ridin' many miles...

Ski/Ride with children Sunday:Copper Mt.

Just so I don't get up and start drinking first thing Sunday morning, I'm heading up to Copper with my 4 year old and some other mtb'r friends with kids.

My kid is pretty good on blue/greens so that's what we'll be on.

If anyone want to to join us give me a heads up and I'll pass on my cell phone no.

Ed
    Ride dangerously. Take chances.

Cynical Bystander
    I'm hoping I can get my dad to take me up to Breck or Vail on Sunday. Hopefully its fairly empty with the superbowl and all....
    Tony
    is making a comeback.

Turns out that five years of not mountain biking, really makes one strive to get back to it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by COmtbiker12
    I'm hoping I can get my dad to take me up to Breck or Vail on Sunday. Hopefully its fairly empty with the superbowl and all....
    HA! I was at Copper about 3 SBs ago. Day seemed like any other weekend (busy). The drive back was 2 hrs to get to IDaho springs - another hour to denver another hour to CS. Trying to remember why I didn't go Highway 24.

Anyways, as popular as the superbowl is, don't expect anythign less than another packed weekend.

Cynical Bystander
    Quote Originally Posted by red_ivan
    HA! I was at Copper about 3 SBs ago. Day seemed like any other weekend (busy). The drive back was 2 hrs to get to IDaho springs - another hour to denver another hour to CS. Trying to remember why I didn't go Highway 24.

Anyways, as popular as the superbowl is, don't expect anythign less than another packed weekend.
    Darn. Oh well... lol. I never use 70 anyways, so as long as Highway 24 isn't bad it'll be a fun day.
    Tony
    is making a comeback.

Turns out that five years of not mountain biking, really makes one strive to get back to it.

Ridin' many miles...
    Quote Originally Posted by red_ivan

I hear ya. I've been up on SB's pretty much every year, and some years it's packed, and others it's low traffic. The best year of course was when the Bronc's were in the SB. This year there's alot less local interest though.

The plan is to go early, rage and see how the kids do. My kid usually likes to ski till they close the lifts down , in which case we 1) Hang out at friends condos and watch the game/let traffic burn off or 2) go to some benign whisky bar and watch the game/let traffic burn off.

If the kid burns out early or dad can't take it anymore we leave early and avoid the traffic altogether. I've got 10 days on my pass so far so it doesn't hurt to do a half day...

Ridin' many miles...

Super Sunday Ski Report

Awesome day. No traffic, no lift lines, all good...

...And forgive the proud dad for bragging, but we skied all day, with no breaks, from 10:AM right up till the lifts closed down. I even suggested to the little guy that we stop and have a hot chocolate break a couple times, but he wanted to keep skiing.

On our last run I decided to ski way ahead of him so I could video him skiing down. I opened it up, and pulled ahead of him past two riblets and a minor mogul field. When I stopped and turned to look up toward him-

CRASH!!!

He had kept up with me the whole way down and crashed into me when I stopped!!

The collision was pretty bad and it blew me out of one of my skis, and knocked me right over. The crash blew him out of both of his skis and rang his bell bigtime. My bell was pretty well rung too and when I recovered a bit, I could hear some people on the chair yelling down asking if he was ok. After making sure we were'nt broken or bleeding and about 30 seconds of tears I decided we'd better get back on our skis and keep going before it all had sunk in too much.

A few minutes later he had forgotton all about the crash and was ripping it up again.

Since the lifts were closed down, we hung up the skis and watched the game at Jack's over well deserved hot chocolate for the kid and a beer for the old man.

The only thing we missed was lift lines and the traffic.
    Last edited by EdZilla; 02-08-2005 at 12:14 PM.