Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    stitchesRfun
    Mar 2004

Singlespeed Tire Choice

Okay... I need help. After running my current tire set-up for a season, it's pretty obvious by the dents in my brand new hoops that I need to run bigger tires. I'm currently running UST 2.1 Maxxis HighRollers on my singlespeed. I love them, but they are very narrow and have a very low profile. I want to switch to a wider, higher profile tire but they need to be under 700grams per tire. I tried running the UST 2.35 HighRollers, but they add one pound of rolling weight to my bike... too hard to pedal. Has anyone tried running the non-UST Kenda 2.35 DCT Nevegal as a tubeless tire? I have never ever worried about how much bike parts weighed until ditching all but one of my gears. This is all new to me, so any suggestions on a set of treads that can handle Colorado Springs gravel would be much appreciated.

Jeff

Gaa-zee-raaaa!
    I was hoping more would have responded, as I am searching for the perfect tire to use while riding a 29er SS with Jones H bars while wearing manpris, sporting dreadlocks and a throat beard. Oh well..

Some on here will disagree, but I like Mutano Raptors for a big volume / low weight tire. With that said - I haven't ridden anything other than Minion Fs for a year and a half , they corner great, have good pinch resistance and roll reasonably well. I say bump your gearing down a notch if you're having momentum (climbing) issues.
    Now with more vitriol!

Shattering Glass
    29" panaracer rampages stick the corners really well and climb and brake just as good. maybe a tad heavier but, i wouldn't know the difference.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    You might want to get your wheels checked out bc if you're denting your rims (with properly inflated tires) something's messed up, and it's going to continue to be messed up even with 2.35 inchers on there.

The standard Nevegal does seem to have a loyal following, though, so you'd probably be ok with that.

One thing to consider is you could run a fatty in the front with a smaller rear tire to get that comfort/weight tradeoff more balanced.

crashes in parkinglot
    Quote Originally Posted by Godzilla
    I was hoping more would have responded, as I am searching for the perfect tire to use while riding a 29er SS with Jones H bars while wearing manpris, sporting dreadlocks and a throat beard. Oh well..
    29er - Check
    SS - nope
    Jones - Close enough (On - One Mary Bars)
    Manpris - CHECK
    Dreads - always wanted to but not man enough to try
    Beard - not mature enough to have a beard.

Big meats are nice for CO. Had some Nevegals on a SS, that did really well, almost never pinched and hooked up in very well. When I went to the 9er I wanted a faster rolling tire and went with the ExiWolfs, roll very fast, but don't always hookup when cranking up a tech section, so its a tradeoff, but next tire will be somewhere in between.

Gaa-zee-raaaa!
    Quote Originally Posted by yosh
    You might want to get your wheels checked out bc if you're denting your rims (with properly inflated tires) something's messed up.
    This raises a good question - what rims are you running? Last year's DTs are notoriously soft, I went through a pair of 5.1s in about a month and a half, granted they were on my DH bike, but still... I was running Minion 2.5s ghetto tubeless with sufficient air pressure, and haven't had an issues with wheels coming apart (before or since the 5.1s) in many years.
    Now with more vitriol!

Now with 20% more fat!!
    Another vote for the Rampages... I have the SS 29er - no jones bar... I do have manpris... no dreads or beard or much facial hair at all (hell I can let it grow out for a week and it looks like I just shaved)... Not sure if that qualifies me to recommend the Rampage, but I'm doing it anyway because I'm a rebel!

Gaa-zee-raaaa!
    I seem to have created confusion here - just for the record, I was being facetious in my first post.

I'm not really looking for a tire for a 29er, just taking an oblique jab at the current trend of searching for a perfect tire for every conceivable circumstance. I don't really have a throat beard or dreads, or wear manpris - nor do I have H bars (how the hell are you supposed to jump / drop with those things?!).

It was all in good fun, I swear.
    Now with more vitriol!

Now with 20% more fat!!
    I got it.. and thought it was funny!

crashes in parkinglot
    Quote Originally Posted by JSD303
    I got it.. and thought it was funny!
    agreed

stitchesRfun
    Mar 2004

Oblique... that's for sure.

Thanks for all your help, folks. Maybe the Nevegal or one of the "Wolf" iterations is worth a look.

I guess I need to clarify a couple things: 1) I was in search of input about 26" tires, but thanks anyway for all the info on the 29ers... I'll pass it along to the correct party; 2) I ride Mavic 819 tubelss disc rims... a great rim that does what it's told and doesn't give you much sass in return; and 3) I apologize for asking such a redundant question... I know picking the tire is a personal choice and was merely asking for an informed opinion. Didn't think I was too out of line there, Mr. 'Zilla, but I'm glad you had your fun. Thanks for wasting the last 5 minutes of my life in having to wade through all the BS replies. That was special.

Hairshirt Rider
    I was hoping more would have responded, as I am searching for the perfect tire to use while riding a 29er SS with Jones H bars while wearing manpris, sporting dreadlocks and a throat beard.
    Ask and you shall recieve.

I recommend Specialized Resolutions

Gaa-zee-raaaa!
    Quote Originally Posted by bambam
    Didn't think I was too out of line there, Mr. 'Zilla, but I'm glad you had your fun. Thanks for wasting the last 5 minutes of my life in having to wade through all the BS replies. That was special.
    Not quite sure why you're b1tching at one of the only people who addressed your question not once but multiple times, but since you're gonna get all bent about it, how 'bout this: Sack up and quit being such a pVssy - Mr. "I wanna ride an SS like the cool kids, but have an aversion to pain". If your rims are denting, particularly a rim like the 819, while running a Nevegal - the source of your problem is likely your poor lines or ham-fisted riding style.

A quick recap:

A. Work on your conditioning so a bike with FRange worthy tires isn't "too hard to pedal".

B. Clean up your riding style so you're not bashing into pointy rocks and such (the first recommendation will help immensely with this) .

If this offends you further, let me know via PM and I'll gladly send you a couple of dollars to reimburse you for the important time I wasted joking around with you.

Now go away, or I shall taunt you a second time.
    Last edited by Godzilla; 11-28-2007 at 10:15 AM.
    Now with more vitriol!

Your retarded
    If this offends you further, let me know via PM and I'll gladly send you a couple of dollars to reimburse you for the important time I wasted joking around with you.
    I'd take him up on that offer, bambam. I've been waiting to get my dignity back for years, but I won't be seeing a PM from that b!tch anytime soon. She keeps what she steals.

A trail thatís too difficult wouldnít exist because itíd never be used. But, trails can exist thatíre too difficult for you.

rr
    I don't do PC
    Not sure how much you weigh bambam but running a standard tire tubeless will most definitely increase the chances of denting your rim.

A 2.3ish UST tire that's under 700g is gonna be hard to find and probably very expensive, the Fire Pro UST's are decent volume and weight, cheap for UST and great traction. If your denting your rim with a UST tire then your probably running too little pressure for your weight, and your gonna REALLY dent your rims with a standard tire setup for tubeless.

Or your a hack like zilla said

Gaa-zee-raaaa!
    Quote Originally Posted by Loudpawlz
    Ask and you shall recieve.

I recommend Specialized Resolutions
    Spooooky - I can just picture one of the legs of your "H" twisting off on touchdown.

You should push for an H Bar "LP Edition" with gussets and such.
    Last edited by Godzilla; 11-28-2007 at 10:43 PM.
    Now with more vitriol!

Armchair Sasquatcheror

SS tires

I run Maxxis Swamp Things, 2.5" front and rear on mine for winter riding. These are great, and I don't think studs are necessary most of the time.

However, in dry weather I would try a Maxxis 2.5" Minnion on the front and a 2.3" Highroller on the back. Give up on light weight, it's pointless.

..ouch
    Now go away, or I shall taunt you a second time.
    Did you hear that? Did you hear that, eh? Did you see him repressing me? You saw him, Didn't you?

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    It is that rock that is taunting me:

dang loudpawlz, the first thing I saw in that photo was my name written on that rock - jumped right out at me. Being gear impaired yet (3x9 for shame), I have a history of at least two bent derailleur hangars, and numerous paint scraping instances with that bugger. Thankfully folks like you rejected it as a chokepoint and worked it into the correct line - I've been heating up shock oil instead of replacing derailleur hangers ever since (3+ years? not sure when).

Nice.....
    jon.

mtbr member
    I raced on a Weirwolf 2.5 in the front and a Mutano Raptor on the back all summer. The weirwolf is an awesome all around tire that rolls pretty fast and can take some of the sting out of a rigid fork.

stitchesRfun
    Mar 2004

'Zilla Killa

Wow, I'd like to say that I'll not even dignify your latest reply... but I can't pass it up. Mind you, I was polite in my reply, but... well, here we go.

First off, it must take a real man to call someone you've never ridden with a p*ssy and a b#tch online. Hmmm... I must conclude that you are either the dumbest a**hole I've ever had the misfortune to deal with, or you truly deserve to have your mangy azz whooped... and I'm not talking necessarily about on a bike, either. Please step up... I'd be happy to oblige.

Second, I break stuff and dent stuff because I go fast... it's pretty simple. I don't know where you live, but where I live, we have rocks, ledges, drops, long climbs, killer downs, lots of gravel and the odd buff singletrack... all of which I ride on my singlespeed simply because I choose to. I know stuff will fail in this environment... and that's why I was seeking a suggestion or two. From your posts, which for whatever reason you think were really a help, I can't really tell if you do ride a singlespeed or are simply bashing them because YOU are too much of a p*ssy to actually throw a leg over one. Yes, I called YOU a p*ssy... just in case you didn't catch that.

Third, since you want to make assumptions about me, you strike me as the kind of douchebag that really doesn't ride but mointors this site because it somehow gives you a purpose in life and some weird sense of power. You may actually have a bike or two (maybe more, if you count your kids' bikes) in the garage, you may actually ride them when your sorry azz gets the occasional kitchen pass and have just enough knowledge about a very limited scope of riding. I asked for a tire recommendation, you f*ck! My gearing is fine and running DH tires on a SS is stupid!! Oh yeah, and I don't run Nevegals... you must have missed that.

And for last one last observation, it's jackasses like you that really make riding a bike, or posting an honset question on a bike-related site, an excercise in constraint. You don't know me, and please, let's keep it that way, because if I'm right, you're the guy sitting in the parking lot of every trailhead who likes to talk the talk but can't ride to save himself. I've dealt with your kind for years, lots of posturing and noise coming from your mangy yap, but no skills, and to cover it up, you bust on folks like me for trying to find a better tire. Whatever... you probably suck.

Oh, by the way, I'll happily take whatever money you'd like to pay me for my time. And I guess with that attitude, you may also be one of those guys who has the shining, gleaming, brand new carbom-titanium wonderbike that they think will actually make them a better rider.... until they actually take it off the roof rack and try to pedal it uphill, where you realize you are fat and out of shape, or downhill, where you may never realize that all the travel in the world won't make up for your obvious lack of skill. You guys are great... I always love the look on your face when my wife and I pass you like you're standing still.

This has been great fun, but alas it's wearing thin. I've already wasted too many words and too much time on you to simply say this: F@#K YOU!

..ouch
    Wow man.. you might have wanted spend a little time in these forums before stepping into this one. Calling "Zilla" out on riding skills.. This should be be fun to watch.

Demonstrating some of that "limited scope" ..
    resized_Picture 004.jpg
    Last edited by thump; 11-28-2007 at 09:38 PM.

Now with 20% more fat!!
    Fight Fight Fight Fight...

After you two love-birds finish shuttling Apex, you can shuttle each other!

Gaa-zee-raaaa!
    Quote Originally Posted by JSD303
    Fight Fight Fight Fight...

After you two love-birds finish shuttling Apex, you can shuttle each other!
    Now wait a second, call me what you want, but I've never shuttled Apex. That's just harsh.
    Now with more vitriol!

Gaa-zee-raaaa!
    Quote Originally Posted by bambam
    Yada yada...I must conclude that you are either the dumbest a**hole I've ever had the misfortune to deal with, or you truly deserve to have your mangy azz whooped... and I'm not talking necessarily about on a bike, either. Please step up... I'd be happy to oblige.

uh huh, etc...
    You're right, my riding skills are sub-par at best.

My name is Josh, my e-mail address is s1ngletrack*at*comcast dot net.

Threatening complete strangers on the internet seems like a very bad idea to me, but since you seem to feel so strongly about it, let me know when and where you want to hook up so you can beat me up. I'm quite serious about this.
    Last edited by Godzilla; 11-29-2007 at 05:11 AM.
    Now with more vitriol!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast