Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Silly question re: Apex

1K views 20 replies 14 participants last post by  claystrick 
#1 ·
I've never ridden Apex, but as I understand on odd-numbered days it's one way (uphill) right? So, how do folks typically get back down? Chimney Gulch or some other route??

TIA

#8 ·
I have ridden there are few times since the change and i don't think there are any options or preferred ways to do it anymore on odd days. I would just ride there on an even day and then you can ignore all the new jeffco rules:thumbsup:

mudge said:
No kidding?? I'm asking how others do it, which is NOT on the map. Yeah, I see the routes, but having never seen the trails I don't know which are preferred.

#9 ·
mudge said:
No kidding?? I'm asking how others do it, which is NOT on the map. Yeah, I see the routes, but having never seen the trails I don't know which are preferred.
It's a small park. You can't really go wrong. But to answer your question, my preferred route on odd days is: Ride up Chimney, ride down Apex, take Hardscrabble to SluiceBox (up), continue to Grubstake, loop that and ride Apex proper down and out.

But again, it's a really tiny park. The more you do it "wrong" the better it gets, because it only makes for more riding.

If you're looking for techy downhill you won't find much of it at Apex though. It's definitely got an XC feel with intermittent and very modest challenges. So set your expectations appropriately and you're likely to find yourself enjoying a pretty park with decent riding that you can actually get to after work.

Ride it odd and even days. While the new routes may force you out of your comfort zone and feel a little awkward at first, they're good! And getting familiar with them opens up a new and better feel for the park. IMO anyway. YMMV.

But more importantly, the more folks ride the new trails, the sooner they'll rock up. :cool:

#11 ·
mudge said:
Ride up Apex trail to sluicebox. Up sluicebox to Pick and sledge to the new trails and down. You could also stay up top and go over to CG and down then back the bike path.

Like others have said, ride on even days. It's more fun and you'll deal with half of the normal hiker population.

#13 ·
mudge said:
Wow...the internet is serious business, like others have said there aren't really options for getting down Apex on odd days (aside from what is "legal" per the map) so not really sure what you are referring to as "preferred" route. I live in Golden so always go up Chimney and down into Apex....on odd days you have to climb out of the main Apex trail.

#15 ·
steadyflow said:
I live in Golden so always go up Chimney and down into Apex....on odd days you have to climb out of the main Apex trail.
Yes, but just so folks know, it's significantly less a climb than it was taking the new Hardscrabble Trail up. Hardscrabble pops in at the fun switchbacks about 70% of the way up SluiceBox, and is a very gentle grade. The new "climb" out of Apex is minimal and shouldn't concern anyone who's ridden a mountain bike more than once.

That's why I urge folks not to avoid it on odd days. The ride may be different, and yes more xc, but it's way worth doing.

To you "don't ride it half the time" advocates: Why avoid ANY open trails?

:confused:

Frankly I think Apex on an odd day would make an excellent COMBA social ride to get folks familiar and comfortable with the new options.

#16 ·
TVC15 said:
Yes, but just so folks know, it's significantly less a climb than it was taking the new Hardscrabble Trail up. Hardscrabble pops in at the fun switchbacks about 70% of the way up SluiceBox, and is a very gentle grade. The new "climb" out of Apex is minimal and shouldn't concern anyone who's ridden a mountain bike more than once.
+1 ... and the DH off Pick n' Sledge is one of the best on the Front Range.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.