shredder

shuttle runs for a friend

my friend wants to ride with me and is out of shape and cant really climb as well as me. so i was wondering if there are some shuttle trails you guys know of. if so you should post the name or a link or something. i would do apex but it is climb only on the day im going. any help is great thanks
    say no to kona

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Subscribed!!!

eci
    you can shuttle apex, chimney, white ranch, mt falcon and lair of the bear....

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    How about just slow your pace and climb with him giving him support and encouragement all the way? I know lots of folks for whom the encouragement and patience of a friend made a real difference in their physical condition. Stick with them and say "you can do this."

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by zrm View Post
    How about just slow your pace and climb with him giving him support and encouragement all the way? I know lots of folks for whom the encouragement and patience of a friend made a real difference in their physical condition. Stick with them and say "you can do this."
    +1

I recommend riding behind them, so you're not dropping them before you realize it.
    "Serves you right to suffer." -The Wife (after being 2 hours late)

Rigid in Evergreen
    I'd just chill a bit and ride with him... or at least ride short sections more aggressively and wait for him while you recover.

Awesomist™
    Smart@ss answer:
    You can shuttle the Colorado Trail from Kenosha Pass to Breck.

Serious answer:
    I agree with some of the above that riding the ups with your buddy could be good. But if he's REALLY that out of shape that he can't climb at all, my suggestion is to take him to Winter Park and ride the greens all day. Heck, there's even a couple greens at Keystone or SolVista that might be good.

Seriously, any Front Range trails that "can" be shuttled still have climbing in them, and can get pretty rocky/techy in spots. Some more than others. If your boy is really that out of shape, them there trails might still be too much. Winter Park has lots of groomed, smooth, easy trails your buddy can rock, and if he decides mtn biking is for him THEN you can start encouraging him to ride up the d@mn hill.
    The older I get, the faster I was.

Punch it, Chewie.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by snowskilz View Post
    you can shuttle apex, chimney, white ranch, mt falcon and lair of the bear....
    thanks for the list of trails to avoid

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ddfuji View Post
    my friend wants to ride with me and is out of shape and cant really climb as well as me. so i was wondering if there are some shuttle trails you guys know of. if so you should post the name or a link or something. i would do apex but it is climb only on the day im going. any help is great thanks
    Do him a favor and ease him into the sport by taking him to Bear Creek or Elk Meadow and let him discover the joy of riding, see the "bringing the girlfriend to White Ranch" thread for suggestions on getting someone into the sport.

16 years ago a guy dragged me out to Mathew/Winters on my steel rigid Schwinn for my first off road ride, I remember feeling like I had no oxegyn, thought I would kill myself, and the next week my boss gave me his copy of "Front Range MTB Trails" and the rest is history.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Valmont bike park. Something for everyone, cardio challenge is minimal.

a dad
    Jan 2004
    I heard this from someone and it has kind of stuck.. "Teach them to have fun on a bike and they will be hooked, teach them to suffer and they will have no interest".. It came from a dad and how the process went for him when he tried to teach his kids to ride. He, at first, took them on XC rides and they hated it and rejected it. He later introduced them to more DH type stuff and they loved it, now they do both. Clearly kids are different, but still, you have to enjoy it...
    BBZ

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy - Benjamin Franklin

shredder
    ya he hates climbing and im trying to get him to love the sport. so putting him through discomfort is not what i want to do. so thats why i was thinking shuttle. thanks for the advice guys
    say no to kona

Living the High Life
    I had a friend from WI visit 2 years ago and I wanted to show him several XC trails around here in 1 day. We rode Green Mountain, and while he made it, he wasn't happy about it. I knew he wouldn't be able to ride Chimeny, Deer Creek, etc. So when my wife got home I had her drop us off at the top of Apex and then again at Chimney.

He was stoked to check out 3 trails in one day. If he lived out here he'd get up to climbing shape fast I am sure. But as a temporary solution for people to check out trails or get people excited about mt biking shuttling is a good option.

Just no full face DH storm trooper armor right?
    You have just been mentally Rick Roll'd. Yup you're thinking about it right now aren't you? Don't fight it.

Thread Terrorist
    You don't really need a shuttle. Pull your friend up. get one of these
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Golden Bike Park Group

Peak Cycles Gravity Team & Bikeparts.com
    Trestle Bike Park

Thread Terrorist
    Keystone, Winter Park, Sol Vista, Copper, Vail, Breckinridge. Done.
    Golden Bike Park Group

Peak Cycles Gravity Team & Bikeparts.com
    Trestle Bike Park

mtbr member
    May 2009
    I'll probably be chastised for this, but...Buffalo Creek can be a good place to take a beginner. You can either park at the bottom, and ride up 543 (very easy grade dirt road) to the Gashouse Gulch or Redskin Creek trailheads. Then there is a bit of a climb, but not bad at all...to a fun downhill that takes you about half way back down towards the car. This is a pretty good beginner loop, with a little easy climbing and a really fun singletrack downhill section.
    Or you can really cheat and park a car at the bottom, then drive another up to the 550 parking lot. From there you can ride part of the Colorado trail with some small ups and downs, then go down Shinglemill or Morrison Creek back to 543.

I agree with the serious riders that doing the shuttles is not the coolest, but if your buddy is really out of shape, it might be enough workout (and shame?) to motivate him to push harder and climb the rides to earn the downhills.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ansible View Post
    Valmont bike park. Something for everyone, cardio challenge is minimal.
    +1

Took my wifey and all four kids out there and everyone had a good time. For an intro to biking spot it's pretty darn good.

Oh, another thing is I'm pretty heavy and out of shape myself but my legs work fine walking the bike up hills I can't pedal (even with a fused ankle) so the "too out of shape" argument is more a mental block than a physical issue.
    Bikes=Sanity

Agent of tang
    Aug 2005
    who is doing the shuttling? if it's just you and your buddy you'll never get to ride together.

mtbr member
    Please do not shuttle Apex...If you must do down only, go to a resort and start with the greens and move up. Lots of great advice in other poststoo! Have fun!