mtbr member

shrine pass -> bowmans shortcut -> 2 elks -> Minturn (Trail Info Needed)

Hi All

I'm planning another trip to Colorado from England this september

One of the Rides I'm interesetd in doing is

shrine pass -> bowmans shortcut -> 2 elks -> Minturn

While hunting for info on MTBR for info I saw someone mentioning that 2 elks was very overgrown

Has anyone ridden this route recently ? - Is it all still good to ride

Also on the latitude 40 map I see you can cut off two elk onto Sleepytime tr and then onto the grand traverse and down cougar ridge to minturn -would this be a better way to go to ride more Singletrack ?

And finally if any one has gpx tracks they could share that would be great

Cheers

Zinger-UK
    My MTB road trip website http://www.mtb-hol.com

t.i.t.s.ceo/FR amoeba rep
    What we did a week ago. I would recommend taking two elk all the way to minturn - good stuff!! Although most consider this a shuttle ride our lollipop was a bit painful, but with some effort can be done.
    I'm a cowboy on a steel horse i ride!

the blog

mtbr member
    Great thanks for the info

Colorado
    It's all good to ride. Really lush in the back bowls right now.

From I70/Vail Pass, take Shrine Pass road towards Minturn turn at the first right hand fork, take that for a few hundred feet and go left at the Y fork. Just after the fork you'll see the TH for singletrack on your right. This is Bowman's and will get you to 2Elk.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by zinger-uk View Post

Also on the latitude 40 map I see you can cut off two elk onto Sleepytime tr and then onto the grand traverse and down cougar ridge to minturn -would this be a better way to go to ride more Singletrack ?
    Yes.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SkaredShtles View Post
    Yes.
    ok so would you care to elaborate on that ?

Why would it be better ?

thanks

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by zinger-uk View Post
    ok so would you care to elaborate on that ?

Why would it be better ?

thanks
    Grand Traverse is really nice. There are a number of descents worthy of that extra climb.

mtbr member
    I recommend doing the full 2 elk ride and not doing the Cougar Ridge option.
    I have done them both and I have no desire ever to ride Cougar ridge again.

If you really want to pedal there is another option to getting to the 2elk trail.
    You will climb 3300' in about 10 miles. This option removes the need to drive a vehicle up to the top of Vail Pass.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I just did a version of this solo yesterday and it was great. A long day on the bike but a great ride. Two Elk is definitely lush right now. It seems like the further you go down the narrower the track get.

The flowers are amazing higher up on the mountain and the creek down low is still flowing pretty well. My route is as follows: Parked at Vail Village --> rode up the ski resort (pick your route) I chose the mellow village trail--> then met up with the western most part of the Grand Traverse (surely not as enjoyable going up but still not bad--> cut over to and past Two Elk Lodge to the start of Two Elk (as others have said in the past it is not super clearly marked as to where to go from Two Elk lodge but a map and a decent sense of direction will get you to the intersection with Bowmans)--> Two Elk all the way down to Minturn--> Refueled in Minturn--> up hwy 24 a short distance--> and hit up Meadow Mountain (absolutely beautiful right now) --> dumpout out on the back side of the Eagle High school--> rode down, east, on hwy 6, which parallels I-70 and met up with the bike path back to Vail Village and my car.

I was pretty happy with that loop in the end as I minimized my time on pavement, still had a fair amount in time on gravel / service roads but it was on the climbs which was not too bad. I think it worked out pretty good if you do not have a shuttle option.

Next time I might try going down Two ELk for a while--> up sleepy time--> downhill on Grand Traverse --> and down Game Creek.

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by wormvine View Post

.........If you really want to pedal.........
    Well, it is a bicycle.

I dream on two wheels
    Since I didn't have directions to Two Elk from Shrine Pass, I got on the Two Elk trail where it starts just outside of East Vail. I do not recommend this route as it is basically a 2 hour hike a bike to the top of Two Elk pass. From the top down to Minturn is awesome though.
    Whiskey

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bmoney View Post
    I just did a version of this solo yesterday and it was great. A long day on the bike but a great ride. Two Elk is definitely lush right now. It seems like the further you go down the narrower the track get.

The flowers are amazing higher up on the mountain and the creek down low is still flowing pretty well. My route is as follows: Parked at Vail Village --> rode up the ski resort (pick your route) I chose the mellow village trail--> then met up with the western most part of the Grand Traverse (surely not as enjoyable going up but still not bad--> cut over to and past Two Elk Lodge to the start of Two Elk (as others have said in the past it is not super clearly marked as to where to go from Two Elk lodge but a map and a decent sense of direction will get you to the intersection with Bowmans)--> Two Elk all the way down to Minturn--> Refueled in Minturn--> up hwy 24 a short distance--> and hit up Meadow Mountain (absolutely beautiful right now) --> dumpout out on the back side of the Eagle High school--> rode down, east, on hwy 6, which parallels I-70 and met up with the bike path back to Vail Village and my car.

I was pretty happy with that loop in the end as I minimized my time on pavement, still had a fair amount in time on gravel / service roads but it was on the climbs which was not too bad. I think it worked out pretty good if you do not have a shuttle option.

Next time I might try going down Two ELk for a while--> up sleepy time--> downhill on Grand Traverse --> and down Game Creek.
    Are you the guy who found my water bottle on the trail ?????

Edit: to the OP- here is a KMZ file of one way to do it, it takes while to load. Others may have better routes.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by hardtail05; 08-15-2011 at 05:15 PM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by hardtail05 View Post
    Are you the guy who found my water bottle on the trail ?????

Edit: to the OP- here is a KMZ file of one way to do it, it takes while to load. Others may have better routes.
    Yeah I actually am. How did the rest of your ride end up? Glad I found the bottle for you.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bmoney View Post
    Yeah I actually am. How did the rest of your ride end up? Glad I found the bottle for you.
    Good, long day. Sure needed that extra bottle. Thanks again !!

mtbr member
    I have to thank you guys, I was lurking on the Colorado boards last week looking for ride ideas for my Colorado trip. I rode Two Elk yesterday; what a great ride!

Here's my Strava/GPS track:
    Mountain Bike Ride Profile | Two Elk near Vail | Times and Records | Strava

I'll do it a little different next time. I definitely would not climb up Game Creek Trail again; that was a lot of hike-a-bike when I was tired.