mtbr member
    Mar 2008

Cool-blue Rhythm should i stay, or should i go?

howdy howdy,
    My name's graham, i live in massachusetts and was... working for a print shop. My company went out of business and offered to transfer me out to one of 3 locations in colorado, being Denver, Aurora, or Colorado Springs. The most important consideration for this move, is where is the best mountain biking? Any advice or tips would be greatly appreciated.
    p.s. i love east coast riding, the real technical rocky rooty stuff. is there any of that way out yonder?

thanks a lot

skillz to pay billz
    less roots, more rocks

Living the High Life
    Stay away from Arurora. You have to drive through Denver to get to the foothills with the good trails, and that could be a massive pain during rush hour for after work rides.

And nOOby hit it on the head, less roots lots more rocks. But some water bars are kinda like large tree roots.

skillz to pay billz
    I would go with denver and live closer to the foothills

DWF
    Non Dual Bliss
    The best riding is in the Springs but...well, there's more than enough weird ass political/religious jihad action down there to balance it out.* I guess it's the same everywhere, so if I had a choice between the three, I'd go with the Springs. Good crew to ride with.

*no offense to the CS'ers on this board, you know I love you, but damn....

Oh, and in keeping with the thread title....
    A man must have enemies and places he is not welcome. In the end we are not only defined by our friends but those against us.

Living the High Life
    I was wondering if anyone would get that Clash reference, was that orginially intended?

If so,

mtbr member
    definitely not Aurora. its a hole (no offense to anyone living there) and its farther from the mountains.

Ive never been a big fan of Springs. Its a very conservative city and I just dont like it. I cant comment on the riding down there as there are plenty of Denver area riding to satisfy me. I'd think Denver is easily the way to go

pdh
    mtbr member
    Where in Denver? And where in Mass arrhhhya from? IMO Denver would be a better choice. It's half way between the Springs
    and the good riding north in Loveland and Fort Collins. And you would be close to Golden and all of Jeffco.
    " In-a" you would be at I70 to get to the high country.
    I JUST WANT A BICYCLE!!!!! " Why-why are you yelling at me?"
    WHATEVER, MAKE ME A BICYCLE CLOWN!!!!!!!!!

mtbr member
    Rides wise, you're not giving anything up on the technical front, and gaining a whole lot on the lung/leg burning front. You're trading tacky loomy soil for dry to dusty conditions. And I would guess that you're probably gaining some ridable weeks of the year by moving to Colorado.

Realizing that Denver is 10-20 miles away from good trails (depending on what part of the city and which trail) and Colorado Springs has more in/near town trail heads, I'd still vote for Denver as a place to live given those three choices. I live in SE Denver and work in Golden (a bike mecca of sorts just West of Denver)- which has never prevented me from riding as much as my marriage can withstand. You can live in the Western `burbs and commute to Denver or Aurora, if you have to live near a trail head.

mtbr member
    To the OP,

You will miss the trees, the humidity when it's not 90+, and the tight and twisty aspect but you will gain lots of altitude opportunities, way longer riding season(this year I've ridden every month so far if you count back to last year this time, and the beers taste better out here

It's a toss up IMO, I was riding eastcoast for awhile and now I'm back out west again. Both places have their ups and downs I think. I miss the humidity when it's not super thick and blazing hot, I miss the tree forests as there are no trees in the front range, I miss the technical roots and tight and twisty trails that stay relatively loamy, and I miss not having dry mouth/throat from the dry air as well as I miss the easier climbs. But, once I get in shape, I'm going to enjoy the longer decents, I love to be able to just see as far as the eye can see, and I love the sun, which shine downs just about every single day. I don't miss the rain storms (except for when July hits because it's so damn dry and hot), I don't miss the thick humidity days of August that you get your sweat on before you even get in the saddle, and I don't miss the bugs. There's bugs here, but not like the east coast, no misquito's so far.

Well those are my pro's and cons of westcoast vs. eastcoast riding, let us know what you decide.

As for location; I can't comment on the Springs, never ridden down there but it's a smaller town, so if that's your thing, you might like it. Denver is so diverse that just about any walk of life can find their niche here, the trails are a bit more crowded and it's hard to get clippin' down the trail for fear of pissing off the XC nazzi's, but other than that there's quiet a few trails to be had for different skill levels. And as you drive further into the Mtn's, and the better condition you're in, the better they seem to get.

Quote Originally Posted by DWF
    there's more than enough weird ass political/religious jihad action down there to balance it out.*

*no offense to the CS'ers on this board, you know I love you, but damn....
    I'm sure they won't hold a grudge. It is obvious you are beyond redemption and have already been judged by the Lord. Vengance is his and all that, who are they to get in His way.

You forgot to mention how crafty they are down there. Do you like the way they sprung that Douglas Bruce guy on capital?
    Speed of Lightening
    Roar of Thunder

Living the High Life
    Overly religious Christian people piss me off, I don't think I could stand the Springs. I get ticked off when people have "God Bless Everyone" in their email signatures. In tiny letters I bet they'd like to add "Except Gays, Muslims, Jews and any other non-Christan people" Bunch of butt holes.

On a funny note I talked to the Mormons the other day as they came to my neighborhood. Its funny, I answered the door in jeans and white T-shirt drinking a High Life. I told them I was an honest person and that's why I answered the door, instead of ignoring them like most people and I don't need faith to help me. He then asked "well, will you try praying to Jesus for us?" So I bluntly told him "No, but at least I'm honest about it". It really does bug me when people come door to door pushing religion...

...anyway western Denver is great, less than 10 minutes to the front range trails

Chronic 1st-timer
    God Bless Denver................west of I-25, that is.

Living the High Life
    Satan blesses those who shuttle Apex

Grams Light Bikes
    Quote Originally Posted by Ithnu
    Overly religious Christian people piss me off, I don't think I could stand the Springs.
    I live right over by the New Life Mega Church and yes there are some devout people around but I never notice them. I think that people tend to think this is some backwoods focus on the family enclave? It's a lot more then that. It's got wacky Manitou! It's interesting to note that Denver and Boulder have a higher per capita church going crowd then the Springs, although the Springs does have it's more devout bunch. It's got some amazing riding that is easy to get to, uncrowded, no monster traffic jams, no I-70 insane weekend ski and summer jams, cheaper housing, etc. And close to the best winter riding down in Pueblo. But like everyone one states, what other stuff do you want, big party night life? Quiet smaller town (600,000+ isn't that small), etc. Got to balance out what you want. Denco area is just to much noise for my taste.

Oh and you get the fun of the Pike'sPeak gravel! Until you have tasted the energy sucking gravel on a uphill chug you haven't tasted victory (or is that heart fatigue?)

Peace!

30 something dad
    Quote Originally Posted by Colo.Josh
    To the OP,

You will miss the trees, the humidity when it's not 90+, and the tight and twisty aspect but you will gain lots of altitude opportunities, way longer riding season(this year I've ridden every month so far if you count back to last year this time, and the beers taste better out here

It's a toss up IMO, I was riding eastcoast for awhile and now I'm back out west again. Both places have their ups and downs I think. I miss the humidity when it's not super thick and blazing hot, I miss the tree forests as there are no trees in the front range, I miss the technical roots and tight and twisty trails that stay relatively loamy, and I miss not having dry mouth/throat from the dry air as well as I miss the easier climbs. But, once I get in shape, I'm going to enjoy the longer decents, I love to be able to just see as far as the eye can see, and I love the sun, which shine downs just about every single day. I don't miss the rain storms (except for when July hits because it's so damn dry and hot), I don't miss the thick humidity days of August that you get your sweat on before you even get in the saddle, and I don't miss the bugs. There's bugs here, but not like the east coast, no misquito's so far.

Well those are my pro's and cons of westcoast vs. eastcoast riding, let us know what you decide.

As for location; I can't comment on the Springs, never ridden down there but it's a smaller town, so if that's your thing, you might like it. Denver is so diverse that just about any walk of life can find their niche here, the trails are a bit more crowded and it's hard to get clippin' down the trail for fear of pissing off the XC nazzi's, but other than that there's quiet a few trails to be had for different skill levels. And as you drive further into the Mtn's, and the better condition you're in, the better they seem to get.

This is a great list. I've been out here a year and I'm actively looking to move back to New England, but that's not because I don't like it here...I just prefer the East Coast. As someone else posted the riding season is just about year 'round. Even if there are a month or two when the trails are muddy, it's still longer than the Northeast. I find it funny that people come to Denver primarily as skiers as I think living in the front range the best thing is running and riding in shorts most of the year. It's a crappy long drive to the ski resorts...of course to live in the mountains here you need to be independently wealthy.

My best advice is to take the plunge and move to Denver. Of the three places you listed it's the most central to everything and minutes from good riding. You can always move back if you want to and you won't regret not taking the chance.

Good luck and Go Sox!

Hairshirt Rider
    The first rule of living and riding in Colorado Springs is that there is nothing good about living and riding in Colorado Springs.