slow

Fort Collins / Loveland trail conditions

EDIT: This thread has become a trail conditions thread, so I have changed the name. Let us know what you encounter and when. Thx

Original post below

A few of us are going to ring out 2011 with a final climb of Towers Road in Horsetooth Mountain Park starting at 8:00am tomorrow, Saturday, December 31.

Feel free to come and join the suffering. This will not be a fast ride (at least for me).
    Last edited by sgltrak; 01-03-2012 at 08:48 AM. Reason: Change title to fit content

boxcar
    how was this ride? dryin' out? heading up shortly but thought i'd ask...

slow
    Quote Originally Posted by mtn.skratch View Post
    how was this ride? dryin' out? heading up shortly but thought i'd ask...
    We got up there before things thawed out and I was glad we did. It had obviously been very muddy and sloppy.

Didn't see anything that had been dry. All of the stuff exposed to the sun had been really muddy and the stuff in the shade was still snowy. It was a bunch of fun because it was still frozen, but I wouldn't bank on any of it being rideable when not frozen.

We parked at the Soderburg lot and rode Towers to N. Stout to Sawmill to Nomad to Shoreline. It was already beginning to get soft at 9:30 as we got back to Towers, so we went left to the gate and took the paved road back to the parking lot to avoid any trail damage.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Short Notice Saturday morning ride in Fort Collins-newyearseve2011b.jpg  

Short Notice Saturday morning ride in Fort Collins-newyearseve2011a.jpg  

Last edited by sgltrak; 01-02-2012 at 02:27 PM. Reason: added trails ridden

boxcar
    thanks sgltrak. went up the south fire road today and it was pretty dry, only muddy where it transitioned to snow/ice, which there was still plenty of higher up. The snow section was long, thus mud was minimal. good to get out though.

slow
    Good to hear. I may have to give that a try later this week.

I tried Maxwell this evening, but it was still pretty muddy. Bailed and rode up the road. Shoreline, on the east side of the reservoir, was pretty good (soft but not sticky).

boxcar
    Good to know about shoreline. When you make it back up Horsetooth, Audra Culver was very good too yesterday. Ice at the very beginning off the road but as soon as we got over the first little up, it was great dirt up to the very last part through the notch. It was a great piece of tacky goodness coming back down!

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    How about Blue Sky/Rimrock/Devil's Backbone/Coyote Ridge? Skiing pretty much bites and nothing looks likely to change anytime this week -- might be worth the effort to get the bike out...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by misanthrope View Post
    How about Blue Sky/Rimrock/Devil's Backbone/Coyote Ridge? Skiing pretty much bites and nothing looks likely to change anytime this week -- might be worth the effort to get the bike out...
    I can say that visually, Blue Sky, on Sunday, from HTMP looked super muddy. DBB on Sunday, from the parking lot at the trail entrances, was horrible. Just mud & slush as far as I could see. Saw no bikes but quite a few hikers trying to clean all the mud off their shoes in the lot.

slow
    Quote Originally Posted by misanthrope View Post
    No first hand knowledge, yet. I hope to get out and explore some the next couple of days.

Per the city trails conditions website it looks like Coyote is open but muddy.

The county says Rimrock and Devils Backbone are both open but muddy, per their open space site.

jl
    climb
    Quote Originally Posted by inkpad View Post
    I can say that visually, Blue Sky, on Sunday, from HTMP looked super muddy. DBB on Sunday, from the parking lot at the trail entrances, was horrible. Just mud & slush as far as I could see. Saw no bikes but quite a few hikers trying to clean all the mud off their shoes in the lot.
    Blue sky is going to be a huge mess anytime it is above freezing. There is still a lot of snow especially south of the coyote junction.

If it's above freezing, ride the tarmac.

slow
    Quote Originally Posted by jl View Post
    If it's above freezing, ride the tarmac.
    ... or the dirt roads north of town
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Short Notice Saturday morning ride in Fort Collins-ridepic.jpg  

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jl View Post
    Blue sky is going to be a huge mess anytime it is above freezing. There is still a lot of snow especially south of the coyote junction.

If it's above freezing, stay home, drink micro brew & watch mountain bike DVD's : ).
    That is great advice, thanks!

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    As of this morning backbone is tacky from the lot to the laughing horse split, but at that point it gets muddy.

The first pedestrian / biker split at the beginning around the bridge is extremely muddy.

MTB Racer
    Any news on conditions for Devil's? Open space site says open and well maintained - posted 12/29.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by snowryder View Post
    Any news on conditions for Devil's? Open space site says open and well maintained - posted 12/29.
    I rode it Wednesday afternoon and it was soft in three or four spots, but not bad. By now, it should be just about perfect.

slow
    Rode Maxwell, Shoreline, and the Foothills Trail this morning. Avoid the section behind the stadium. It is a mess. Enter Maxwell at the trailhead on Prospect, just west of Overland. The rest of those trails are in pretty good shape, with a few wet spots and some ice. Just ride right through the mud and not around.

mtbr member
    Rode Bobcat/Ginny Trail yesterday, late morning. First part of Ginny is muddy then pretty dry until you get to the section with the wooden bridge, which is a muddy. Didn't go any higher, but my guess is above the wooden bridge section should be pretty good because of rock and southern exposure.