mtbr member

Short/Child cranks

Anyone have a decent crankset that is appropriate for a child? Or maybe just a recommendation on where to find such things. Thinking sub 160mm.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    what's the smallest chainring you want to use? I ran 145s on my son's mini and 150's on his cx bike (110mm bcd) but the smallest you can go is like 33 or 34.

shortest mtb/triple I've seen is 165 although off the top of my head I don't know what's on his 24" spark.

edit for more info. Origin8, Sinz, bulletproof... etc make the BMX cranks that I mentioned above. Square taper bb.

mtbr member
    the Spark uses 152mm cranks which would be nice. I have some 165s but they are DH cranks and pretty heavy.

a double would definitely be nice. 22/32 would be perfect.

Inspector Gadget
    This guy Truvativ IsoFlow 175mm MTB crankarms Shortened to 153mm

I've got a cutdown crank from him for my sons 20" tired hotrock. Have him setup with a 2x+bash. The granny gear lets him follow me on some real trails
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Short/Child cranks-stevens-crank.jpg  

I hope you have a big trunk... cause I'm gonna put my bike in it!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by abeckstead View Post
    This guy Truvativ IsoFlow 175mm MTB crankarms Shortened to 153mm

I've got a cutdown crank from him for my sons 20" tired hotrock. Have him setup with a 2x+bash. The granny gear lets him follow me on some real trails
    This is perfect. Thanks!

<100%
    Sinz Expert - square taper - 140 or 145's I think. I'll swap em for a 160-165 if anyone is interested

mtbr member
    Do those handle a double ring setup? I emailed the guy mentioned above and he has some pretty interesting thoughts on short crank arms for kids and adults alike. Anyone here run really shorts crank arms? He mentioned the benefits from cranks as short as 95mm.

<100%
    Quote Originally Posted by FrontRanger View Post
    Do those handle a double ring setup? I emailed the guy mentioned above and he has some pretty interesting thoughts on short crank arms for kids and adults alike. Anyone here run really shorts crank arms? He mentioned the benefits from cranks as short as 95mm.
    They are 145's and yes, they will handle a double. They are 5 bolt 110bcd so nothing smaller than a 33. I think they come as short as 115mm.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I put 115mm Sinz cranks on my daughters 20" Hotrock. She is able to ride suprisingly long hills just fine. The original cranks almost hit the ground, they were so long. 154mm I think.
    See the "families and riding with kids" forums for many ideas on kids bikes.