mtbr member

Shop/rental advice summit county

I have a trip planned this weekend in the breck area and we need to rent some bikes. We are flying in from Austin, TX so bringing our bikes with us is not really a reasonable option. We like technical trails, so we need the good stuff. We are staying in Breck.

Can someone recommend a friendly shop that rents good all mountain/enduro type gear?

We both currently ride 29ers. so we are looking for something along the lines of RIP9, SB95, TallBoyLT..... Main thing I want is a bike with a dropper seatpost. Heck, I would just bring mine if I knew it would fit.

We may also just opt to do a day of full on downhill.

Sorry if this question has been asked before. I tired search but got nothing.

Thanks in advance.

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Breckenridge has Avalanche Sports (Santa Cruz and Yeti) and Carvers (Trek)

Frisco Has Wilderness Sports. (Specialized and Niner)

Caveat: I'm not sure exactly what models these shops have for rentals/demos and they have probably been selling some of their fleet this time of year so you should call first.

Total Goober
    Sep 2009
    FYI, the "DH" at Breck is garbage. Head to Keystone for techy DH. There is a shop at the resort, but I forget the name.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuglio View Post
    You guys suck im all bummed now

mtbr member
    Thanks for the info. I tired calling the listed shops but they seem to have a very limited supply of rental bikes this time of year as they sell most of it for the season. Avalanche seemed to have full on 8" travel 26ers and some XC type bikes but nothing in the middle in size L.

I've never done DH riding, so that will be one day, but i really wanted to do some stuff in the middle. If anyone knows of a shop in summit county that still has some all mountain rigs in size large, please chime in.

I checked and United wants $100 each way for a bike ;-( I'll ship ahead next time I go.

bike rider
    Yeah, we realized that we sold too many rental bikes too early this year (Avalanche Sports). Next year we'll keep a larger selection till the end of Sept. The large Superlight and tallboy XC we have are still plenty capable for all the trails, but aren't the SB66, SB95, Tallboy LT* you were hoping for.

*We might still have one of those.
    Keep the Country country.

mtbr member
    We ended up only doing downhill at Keystone Sat and Sunday. It was the most fun I have ever had on a bike and I can't wait to go back. It was amazing!

We wanted to do some trail riding around Summit County, but we ran out of time and the rain was just starting up on our last day there. I hope you guys that live in the area are all doing OK with the flooding..

Anyway, we stopped at the South location of Avalanche in Breck and talked to the guy there. He was super cool and the bikes he had looked very nice and very well maintained, but we opted for a downhill bike and had to rent from the north location. Unfortunately, the guy there seemed to have a real I don't give a crap attitude and the bikes were horribly maintained. We got a really strange vibe when we walked in, but it seemed to be the only choice in town. We picked up the bikes the next day and the brakes had never been bled, and the chain looked like it had never been lubed or cleaned. My front brake would fail randomly after coming of the lift due to air in the line. My buddy had to point out that his brake lever was completely broken before we left the shop. The guys there that day were friendly enough to replace it, but it was just much different than what I am used to. I maintain my own bikes with great care and have never encountered a shop around here that does anything less. I would not recommend that particular location for a rental. The difference between the two locations was night and day. Not sure what the deal is. The bikes were still fun overall and I actually liked the geometry of the RM Flatline compared to the Scott Gambler that we rented on Sunday. We rented those from Keystone Sports in Keystone. They were much better maintained, but the geometry was odd to me and it took a long time to get used to it compared to the Flatline. They also charged a heck of a lot more to rent them (it was over a hundred bucks for day which is crazy).

Next time I hope to bring my own bike with me.

You guys that live in CO are lucky to live in such a beautiful place. I hope to own a place up there some day, but I think I will be a yearly tourist until then.

bike rider
    Glad you enjoyed Summit. I'm out of town so I'm hoping to NOT return to flooding. Sorry to hear about your North Store experience. I only work at the South Store (I tuned all those rental bikes but wasn't there the day you came by). I'll mention to the owners that the North Store could use more attention. I may start doing evening shifts to make sure all the rentals are properly tuned regardless of how busy things get during the day. See you next year!
    Keep the Country country.