Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Shoe shopping, store suggestions?

Looking for wider shoes, picked up some Shimano m088s from REI that aren't working out, I think they're to narrow. Any suggestions on who would have a good selection?

Awesomist™
    My girlfriend just bought a new pair of riding shoes, and she found she really had to do some looking around to find the right shoe. She found that even bigger shops didn't necessarily carry that varied or large of a selection, so she ended up visiting several shops to get a good overview. She's been buying "whatever's on sale" for a couple of years, and has had a lot of bad luck and poor fitting shoes. I think she went to REI, Wheat Ridge, Bicycle Village, all the shops in Golden, a few shops in Moab, and probably more.

Caveat here is: she's a girl. You may find a much larger selection at any of the above shops for men's shoes. She's also not a beginner, nor is she a pro XC racer, making her a kind of odd demographic as a woman to try and find the right shoe (or a lot of biking stuff really). She found lots of beginner type shoes and lots of über-pro carbon-soled fairy slippers, but not as much in the "enthusiast" category i.e. good performance and fit but with a sole not made of plastic or carbon.
    The older I get, the faster I was.

Punch it, Chewie.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    I'll echo FT's statement. It seems that shops will just carry a few brands... and for me I had to try on a *bunch* to find the right shoes. So you have to visit shops until you find the right fit/value/etc.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Check out Specialized's MTB shoes- they run wider than Shimano and they're much better priced. There are usually deals on the website, and I'm sure some places around town carry them as well.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Full Trucker View Post
    My girlfriend just bought a new pair of riding shoes, and she found she really had to do some looking around to find the right shoe. She found that even bigger shops didn't necessarily carry that varied or large of a selection, so she ended up visiting several shops to get a good overview. She's been buying "whatever's on sale" for a couple of years, and has had a lot of bad luck and poor fitting shoes. I think she went to REI, Wheat Ridge, Bicycle Village, all the shops in Golden, a few shops in Moab, and probably more.

Caveat here is: she's a girl. You may find a much larger selection at any of the above shops for men's shoes. She's also not a beginner, nor is she a pro XC racer, making her a kind of odd demographic as a woman to try and find the right shoe (or a lot of biking stuff really). She found lots of beginner type shoes and lots of über-pro carbon-soled fairy slippers, but not as much in the "enthusiast" category i.e. good performance and fit but with a sole not made of plastic or carbon.
    That's what I was afraid of. I've been quite a few places already. I guess the search continues.

Quote Originally Posted by SkaredShtles View Post
    I'll echo FT's statement. It seems that shops will just carry a few brands... and for me I had to try on a *bunch* to find the right shoes. So you have to visit shops until you find the right fit/value/etc.
    I've noticed that shops only carry brands here or there, and only select models. Frustrating really.

Quote Originally Posted by smmokan View Post
    Check out Specialized's MTB shoes- they run wider than Shimano and they're much better priced. There are usually deals on the website, and I'm sure some places around town carry them as well.
    I guess I could go back to Bike Source, didn't really give any thought to Specialized shoes. I don't know how much weight people's online reviews carry, but there were a few negatives to some Specialized shoes.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by 28fiend View Post

I guess I could go back to Bike Source, didn't really give any thought to Specialized shoes. I don't know how much weight people's online reviews carry, but there were a few negatives to some Specialized shoes.
    I've "re-tried" Spec'd shoes each time I've needed new shoes and they must fit my feet horribly because I can't even *imagine* wearing them for more than 2 minutes around the shop. And I tried the recreational, enthusiast, AND high end models. All horrible...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SkaredShtles View Post
    I've "re-tried" Spec'd shoes each time I've needed new shoes and they must fit my feet horribly because I can't even *imagine* wearing them for more than 2 minutes around the shop. And I tried the recreational, enthusiast, AND high end models. All horrible...
    It's funny, I can got to just about any bike shop and find parts I need. But when I need shoes for my feet to power the bike, I'm driving all over town and not finding anything.

mtbr member
    From my experience, all biking shoes are too narrow at the toes. What I discovered works for me is to go 1 size bigger. I normally wear 45 but my last two pairs have been 46's and it's made a tremendous difference in comfort.

650b me
    Surely there's GOT to be a "best mtb shoe for the Front Range" thread???

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kosayno View Post
    From my experience, all biking shoes are too narrow at the toes. What I discovered works for me is to go 1 size bigger. I normally wear 45 but my last two pairs have been 46's and it's made a tremendous difference in comfort.
    1 size bigger I was swimming. Do people just suffer with improper shoes? Or are people with wide feet that much more rare?

Quote Originally Posted by golden boy View Post
    Surely there's GOT to be a "best mtb shoe for the Front Range" thread???
    I'd love to read that, have a link? I searched that exact title and haven't seen it.

mtbr member
    May 2012

Quote Originally Posted by 28fiend View Post
    Or are people with wide feet that much more rare?

Try Sidi shoes in "mega wide"

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by smmokan View Post
    I might be wrong, but I think Specialized has a policy with their dealers that they can't sell their products online. You have to buy them at a brick and mortar retail outlet.

Your bike is incorrigible
    This is strange because I have widish feet and my Shimano shoes fit well. The most comfy are the 661s made for flat pedals that include a place for cleats. But then you sacrifice stiffness.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

Quote Originally Posted by zrm View Post
    I might be wrong, but I think Specialized has a policy with their dealers that they can't sell their products online. You have to buy them at a brick and mortar retail outlet.
    Specialized sells their own shoes online... That's what I meant.

And to the OP, my last pair of Specializeds lasted me 8 years of both road and MTB, so YMMV.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Shoe store?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by zrm View Post
    The M088's I feel fit well enough, but I think the toe box might be a little narrow. I get pain after about 5 miles on the outside of my foot past the pinky toe on the bottom of my foot.

icegeek is hot
    Well this thread is a complete disappointment.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I don't have massively wide feet, but they are wide for sure. Sidi shoes just make me cringe looking at them.

Specialized is the only brand I've found that even remotely fits my foot. Wheat Ridge Cyclery typically carries a good selection in stock. They sometimes blow them out at the end of the season, but I've paid full price there too.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I recently bought Giro Privateer and they work great. My feet are medium bodied (can I say that?!) but my second and third toes are longer than my big toe so finding shoes is pretty difficult. The Giro's seem to have a more rounded toe box than the last pair of Specialized I had. I've Sidi in the past which worked well too.

If you find a good shop that helps you, forget about saving the few bucks online and buy em there. Oh crap, here goes another thread about show roomin'....

Awesomist™
    Quote Originally Posted by TVC15 View Post
    Well this thread is a complete disappointment.
    Better?

The older I get, the faster I was.

Punch it, Chewie.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by smallwine View Post
    I recently bought Giro Privateer and they work great. My feet are medium bodied (can I say that?!) but my second and third toes are longer than my big toe so finding shoes is pretty difficult. The Giro's seem to have a more rounded toe box than the last pair of Specialized I had. I've Sidi in the past which worked well too.

If you find a good shop that helps you, forget about saving the few bucks online and buy em there. Oh crap, here goes another thread about show roomin'....
    That's my plan, I'm in impatient person.

Total Goober
    Sep 2009
    +1 for Speshy for wide feet, at least the forefoot. Not great, but the least uncomfortable.

Adventure Cycling in Aurora is a dealer, if you live near Cherry Creek park.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuglio View Post
    You guys suck im all bummed now

Diggity Dog
    NorthWave's are wide or as previously mentioned Sidi Mega's.

icegeek is hot
    Quote Originally Posted by Full Trucker View Post
    Better?

Much!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by OhGee View Post
    NorthWave's are wide or as previously mentioned Sidi Mega's.
    I'm just going to order a few online and return as needed, been all over that isn't too far from where I live. Couldn't find certain brands or any of the wide sizes.

Thanks for all the suggestions!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast