Thread: Shoe Repair

mtbr member
    Jun 2007

Shoe Repair

I need to glue the sole back onto my mountain bike shoes. Shoe goo seems to be the recommended fix but damned if I can find it. I guess I'll go to REI if I must since Target and Home Despot didn't have it.

Anything else that will work for a long term solution to my problem until I can scrounge together the cash for "unnecessary" items like shoes? I'd get new ones but the misses would be on that purchase like a hawk.

Thanks.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Shoe goo will not work for mountain bike shoes! No way in hell. It has it's applications but not for mountain bike shoes.

Go to home depot and get JB-Weld. It's an epoxy that fixes everything!! I have even used it on blown snowboard edges to crank cases on a dirt bike.

You will probably have to buy two tubes but it's cheaper than new shoes

Quote Originally Posted by concretejungle View Post
    I need to glue the sole back onto my mountain bike shoes. Shoe goo seems to be the recommended fix but damned if I can find it. I guess I'll go to REI if I must since Target and Home Despot didn't have it.

Anything else that will work for a long term solution to my problem until I can scrounge together the cash for "unnecessary" items like shoes? I'd get new ones but the misses would be on that purchase like a hawk.

Thanks.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by cbrock450 View Post
    Shoe goo will not work for mountain bike shoes! No way in hell. It has it's applications but not for mountain bike shoes.
    bzzzzzzzt

that all depends on what shoes one uses for mountain biking

shoe goo works well for my "mountain bike shoes"

not actually bad :)
    concretejungle, sorry to derail/siderail - throw me a STFU if needed.

How about a fix for a mesh tear in a pearl izumi x-alp seek iv:
    http://shop.pearlizumi.com/product.p...643863&outlet=

Tear is in mesh right at little toe. Luckily, toe is still attached. It was a close call!
    Practically new shoes.
    Any known fix for this? Most the material is still there, just a 1" or so gash/section torn back.
    Old Codger

<100%
    a quick search on Shoe Goo brought up Ace, Kmart, REI and CVS. I think it would work fine to glue on a sole as long as the structural part of the shoe that holds the cleat is still intact. Andy, I recently used it on my wifes road shoes to reinforce some torn fabric and keep it from fraying but is was cosmetic fabric- there was solid material under the mesh.

T_E
    mtbr member
    A shoe cobbler will fix your problem .
    Arapahoe Shoe Repair
    9555 E Arapahoe Rd
    Greenwood Village, CO 80112
    It's a chronic addiction

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Rock N Resole in Boulder sewed an eyelet back in for us in some 5.10s as well as repaired a sole that had come apart like you're describing in the same shoes. The prices are very reasonable and we have received consistent great service. If you're in the Boulder area it might be cheaper then a tube of some glue type of substance.

Almost Human
    Sep 2007
    I think the fix depends on the type of shoe.

If the sole flexes then use shoe goo, if it's stiff then use epoxy.

2 part epoxy worked fine on my 10yo Sidi's, and that was maybe 3-4 years ago.

old skool newbie
    What the professionals use - Barge glue
    Professionals - Dardano's 303-692-9355

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator

Thanks.
    FreeSole is the best for cycling shoes. Bonds very well to nylon/plastic/carbon soles. Recommended to me by a cobbler who would not use Barge cement to reattach the outsole and upper to the nylon sole.

I have used Shoe Goo in the past. Better than Barge but still peeled off. FreeSole has been permanent.
    http://www.mcnett.com/Freesole-Urethane-Formula-Shoe-Repair-P186.aspx
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Thanks for all the suggestions. I guess it's just the tread not a whole sole delam. Since they aren't really flexible I'm going with JB Weld and if that doesn't work I found out I have the Freesole stuff that Shiggy mentioned at work.
    Go straight to the FreeSole. Is is designed for rubber/plastic bonding. jB Weld is not.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Thanks for all the suggestions. I guess it's just the tread not a whole sole delam. Since they aren't really flexible I'm going with JB Weld and if that doesn't work I found out I have the Freesole stuff that Shiggy mentioned at work.

Almost Human
    Sep 2007
    Just so you didn't mis-understand my previous advice.
    I was thinking more like a hardening epoxy...

I'm not sure about JB weld. It seems a little soft.

But I do have plastic soled Sidi's... the hard epoxy seemed to do the trick on the plastic. So who knows? All you can do is give it a shot.

Formerly Carlos9
    Quote Originally Posted by janggeungulk View Post
    Please use epoxy adhesive or cyanoacrylate adhesive. It will fix your shoes within a minute.So try it.
    Very timely!

Fella would be riding in his socks if he waited for you to show up...
    You only live once but if you do it right, once is enough.

Oh, the huge-meh-nity
    Aug 2013
    Very interesting URL at the bottom that it would be really stupid to click on as well.

Now older but less slow!
    Interesting that this came up now. I was looking at an old pair of shoes the other day thinking about how they used to be my favorite shoes but I stopped using them after the sole started to break up. I'm wondering now if I can repair them. I'll have to take a look...