Rolling

Sheriff Alderden and Bill 148

Interesting Opinion in today's Daily Camera.

http://www.dailycamera.com/news/2009...-inconvenient/

More on the Senate Bill (http://bicyclecolo.org/page.cfm?PageID=988 )

Ellis: Bicycle safety -- just too inconvenient?

By Mike Ellis
    Sunday, March 1, 2009

Larimer County Sheriff Jim Alderden recently testified against Colorado Senate Bill 148, the Bicycle Safety Bill. Does the law officer really hate bikes so much that he would argue against their safety?

Based on his previous comments and actions, I have to say he does, especially if their riders come from Boulder.

Previously, the sheriff has claimed the right to jail cyclists and take their bikes for the crime of not carrying ID. He has "joked" that his deputies get bonus points and prizes for ticketing Boulder cyclists. And his deputies reportedly stopped Boulder cyclists and told them they aren't welcome to ride in their jurisdiction.

What's got the sheriff's chaps in a bunch now? He says the proposed bill, which would require drivers to give cyclists three feet of room when passing, would be hard to enforce. He doesn't think his deputies can judge that distance on the fly.

A quick read of the Colorado Motor Vehicle Code revealed many examples of laws based on specific distances. So, if the requirement to judge distance is the real reason he opposes SB-148, the sheriff needs to hire some better deputies.

Highlights of the Bicycle Safety Bill:

Drivers must give cyclists three feet of room when passing, but can cross the solid yellow line to do so if it is safe.

Cyclists' requirement to stay to the right is clarified: They are not expected to ride through hazards, they can move left to pass a slower vehicle or prepare to turn, and they can ride on the left-hand portion of a right-turn lane if going straight or on the left side of a one-way road.

The two-abreast rule is clarified: Cyclists can ride more than two abreast on shoulders and can pass other cyclists including those riding two abreast. They can ride two abreast if there is no conflicting traffic or if the road is too narrow for a car to pass a bike.

Harassing or taunting a cyclist, throwing objects at them or intentionally buzzing them becomes illegal.

I'm guessing that the provision that really upset Alderden is the clarification of the two-abreast rule, which must feel like a slap in the face after his vocal disagreements with the rational and intended interpretation of the current law.

Another group opposing the bill is the Colorado Motor Carriers Association, which represents the trucking industry. They want to preserve the right to buzz cyclists, so they don't have to slow down and wait until it is safe to pass on narrow roads.

The CMCA has a history of opposing cyclists' rights. Last year, they convinced the legislature to kill a bill that would have levied a non-trivial fine and potential criminal charges (as opposed to today's traffic citation and minimal fine) for a driver's right-of-way violations resulting in a cyclist's (or other's) serious injury or death. I guess the truckers worried they might get criminal violation for running down cyclists, and could lose their licenses. But is that a bad thing?

As I write this, the Colorado Senate has passed the Bicycle Safety Bill, and the House Transportation Committee will be taking it up next.

Mike Ellis rides safely through Boulder and Larimer Counties. More of his thoughts on cycling can be found at insomnialog.blogspot.com, and he welcomes e-mail at EllisCamera@gmail.com.

Now with 20% more fat!!
    Thanks for the heads up, lidarman! Seriously, something needs to be done about that Alderden genius. Does he have to be re-elected as sheriff, or is he sheriff for life? How do we start a campaign to get him relieved of his duties, since he's obviously mentally ill?

mtbr member
    Some one told me he was term limited. I don't know if its true i haven't lived here long enough to know. But we do need to start to do something. Maybe we should get every one on a bike in Fort Collins and bolder to protest at his office or something. Put some heat on him for his actions. The problem as i see it is we are taking this lying down. Hes no different then any other elected official. He has to ansure to the people.

Kaj
    mtbr member
    Quick search shows that he was elected in 2006, to his 3rd term of 4 years. Originally there was a limit to 2 terms (4 years each), but that was extended by the voters to allow a 3rd term.

Quote from March 2006: "For two candidates--Sheriff Jim Alderden and Commissioner Kathay Rennels--the choice was not possible until voters agreed last November to extend term limits to three terms. Both of the Republicans want to serve another four years, and both have opposition."

link:
    http://www.northfortynews.com/Archiv...atesLineUp.htm
    Helping folks shred in Boulder & Colorado since 1982 www.fullcyclebikes.com

friend of Apex
    [Quote]"Harassing or taunting a cyclist, throwing objects at them or intentionally buzzing them becomes illegal." [Quote]

So that is legal to do in Larimer county now?
    the drugs made me realize it's not about the drugs

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    [QUOTE=WKD-RDR][Quote]"Harassing or taunting a cyclist, throwing objects at them or intentionally buzzing them becomes illegal."

So that is legal to do in Larimer county now?
    as long as there is no enforcement, then yes.
    EricN
    The flood of fixed gear bikes, small t-shirts, and womens jeans will saturate craigslist

mtbr member
    I've voted here since 1988. He's never had any opposition that I can remember. Larimer County is pretty conservative (other than northern Fort Collins). A liberal canditate would get destroyed. We voted Marilynn Musgrave in for two terms for fvcks sake. The only reason she lost is because Obama drew so many voters.

Anyway, the county recently decided that he couldn't spew his crap on their website so he made his own.

http://www.larimersheriff.org/

Check out the Bulls Eye section. It's a pretty fun read.

He continually asks how come the proposed bill is so 1 sided toward cyclists. Maybe because NO ONE on a bike ever killed a motorist by running them over while talking on a cell phone? I wonder if he feels the same way about my kids when they are in the crosswalk? God forbid they "impede traffic" or get out of the damn stripped area.
    Last edited by timroz; 03-02-2009 at 03:46 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by timroz
    I've voted here since 1988. He's never had any opposition that I can remember. Larimer County is pretty conservatie (other than northern Fort Collins). A liberal canditate would get destroyed. We voted Marilynn Musgrave in for two terms for fvcks sake. The only reason she lost is because Obama drew so many voters.

Anyway, the county recently decided that he couldn't spew his crap on their website so he made his own.

http://www.larimersheriff.org/

Check out the Bulls Eye section. It's a pretty fun read.

He continually asks how come the proposed bill is so 1 sided toward cyclists. Maybe because NO ONE on a bike ever killed a motorist by running them over while talking on a cell phone? I wonder if he feels the same way about my kids when they are in the crosswalk? God forbid they "impede traffic" or get out of the damn stripped area.

OMG that guy is a tool. How can a city that wants to be known as one of the most bicycle friendly in the country have a county Sheriff like that.